What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Announcement: Looney Tunes Collectors Choice Volume 1 (Blu-ray) (6 Viewers)

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
I'm happy to see the Looney Tunes move to WAC, but a best-of isn't really oriented to collectors IMO.

WAC has put out like three classic cartoon sets in the last three years. At 20 cartoons a pop, we'd be lucky to get a Golden Collection's worth of shorts in half a decade.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
WAC has put out like three classic cartoon sets in the last three years. At 20 cartoons a pop, we'd be lucky to get a Golden Collection's worth of shorts in half a decade.
I may not live another "half a decade", so bring 'em on !!!!!

And, if more than 20 cartoons were released per set, the price would be higher and then everyone would be bitching about that.

Anyone here recall all our fretting when it appeared that the Archive could be a thing of the past and George was sent home. Now...it's where's Scaramouche? Where's Pharohs? Where's Helen? Only 2 releases? Only 4 releases?

Rant over!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
3 collections of 20 cartoons *is* a "Golden Collection's" worth of cartoons. While a 3 year period is slower than the initial Golden Collection releases (those were 1 collection of 60 cartoons a year for at least the first 4, slowing a bit after that) it's still better than mostly nothing, which is what happened when interest in the GC collections fell off and they tested the "All Stars" collection method, which pretty much tanked as well.

Sadly, cartoon collections don't sell as well as those of us who love them would like which means fewer releases.

I'd guess that if this set sells well another will come on fairly quickly.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I imagine they're not putting these out in chronological order since it's likely an entire set of the older cartoons where the characters were drawn and voiced differently than the "golden age" characters that most remember would not sell as well.

1680105730337.png

Adding a couple into a set with the more familiar looking cartoons is likely the best way to get them out at all.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
So all those wonderful new Looney Tunes transfers (and a Lot more than 20) on HBOMAX or those few shown on "Tune in with me "show aren't in this new set, wonder why they felt a need to let us know that .I sure hope there isn't a lot of lesser cartoons in this collection. Which seems to happen with each of these sets, but at least they were three-disc sets
Still this fantastic news !!!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Archive releases aren't sold in stores
I'm pretty sure that the only Looney Tunes releases I ever purchased in-store were some of the Super Stars discs. All the Blu-rays were from Amazon, as were all the Golden Collection sets. Those were all pre-orders for me back in the day. Though, I do recall picking up most of the Walt Disney Treasures at Best Buy.

Lemme guess, the post-1954 shorts will be MAR again.
Even the 80th Anniversary Bugs Bunny set from 2020 included proper 1.37:1 versions for all the shorts, including two of the previously cropped ones like Lumber Jack-Rabbit and False Hare.
Granted that they had to deal with a pandemic and AT&T nuking their staff and still got three cartoon releases out, I'm looking forward to what they can pull off without the limitations, as well as what's clear support from corporate.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I wonder if we can buy two copies, to keep interest going on this?

~Ben
You can buy as many as you like :) I plan on buying 2 , 1 to play and one to put away . Since these are MOD , might get scratched easy . maybe there pressed . either way will buy 2 in hopes that they will keep doing 30 volumes would be nice .

While I do wish they were in yearly order , Because it's hard to figure out between my giant DVD set and all the blurays , Which to watch , I want to watch the HD stuff first and then go to the dvds , There is no list anywhere that breaks down the dvds and if what is available on bluray . There are some you have to sit down and write down episodes on paper and that just takes the fun out of just popping in a disc and watching play all .

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
You can buy as many as you like :) I plan on buying 2 , I too play and one to put away . Since these are MOD , might get scratched easy . maybe there pressed . either way will buy 2 in hopes that they will keep doing 30 volumes would be nice .

While I do wish they were in yearly order , Because it's hard to figure out between my giant DVD set and all the blurays , Which to watch , I want to watch the HD stuff first and then go to the dvds , There is no list anywhere that breaks down the dvds and if what is available on bluray . There are some of you have to sit down and write down episodes on paper and that just takes the fun out of just popping in a disc and watching play all .
Are you familiar with this Wikipedia site? You can search individual titles and characters. Also, it lists all media (VHS, laser, DVD, Blu, streaming) where a cartoon appears. It's also interesting to read how each cartoon was censored on broadcast TV.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You can buy as many as you like :) I plan on buying 2 , 1 to play and one to put away . Since these are MOD , might get scratched easy . maybe there pressed . either way will buy 2 in hopes that they will keep doing 30 volumes would be nice .

While I do wish they were in yearly order , Because it's hard to figure out between my giant DVD set and all the blurays , Which to watch , I want to watch the HD stuff first and then go to the dvds , There is no list anywhere that breaks down the dvds and if what is available on bluray . There are some you have to sit down and write down episodes on paper and that just takes the fun out of just popping in a disc and watching play all .
To date, *ALL* Warner Archive MOD Blu Ray releases have been pressed. It's unlikely they'll be anything but pressed going forward. The discs won't get scratched any easier than any other pressed Blu Ray release.

They're called "MOD" as they're "Manufactured On Demand" in smaller batches, with a new *pressed* batch ordered when all copies of the current batch for a well selling title have been sold/distributed.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

MOD does not indicate burned discs.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Here are the titles on the set From Tim Millard

BEANSTALK BUNNY - Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck & Elmer Fudd (1954, Chuck Jones)
THE BEE-DEVILED BRUIN – The Three Bears (1949, Chuck Jones)
CATCH AS CATS CAN – Sylvester (1947, Arthur Davis)
CRACKED QUACK -Daffy Duck & Porky Pig (1952, Friz Freleng)
DAFFY DOODLES – Daffy Duck & Porky Pig (1946, Robert McKimson)
DOGGONE CATS – Sylvester (1947, Arthur Davis)
THE FOXY DUCKLING – (1947, Arthur Davis)
A FRACTURED LEGHORN – Foghorn Leghorn (1950, Robert McKimson)
GREEDY FOR TWEETY – Tweety & Sylvester (1957, Friz Freleng)
HIP-HIP-HURRY! – Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote (1958, Chuck Jones)
HIS BITTER HALF – Daffy Duck (1950, Friz Freleng)
HOT ROD AND REEL – Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote (1959, Chuck Jones)
LITTLE ORPHAN AIREDALE – Porky Pig and Charlie Dog (1947, Friz Freleng)
A MOUSE DIVIDED – Sylvester (1953, Friz Freleng)
PLOP GOES THE WEASEL – Foghorn Leghorn (1953, Robert McKimson)
STOOGE FOR A MOUSE – Sylvester (1950, Friz Freleng)
TALE OF TWO MICE – Babbit & Catstello (1945, Frank Tashlin)
TWO GOPHERS FROM TEXAS – Goofy Gophers (1947, Arthur Davis)
UNRULY HARE, THE - Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd (1945, Frank Tashlin)
WHAT’S BREWIN’ BRUIN? – The Three Bears (1947, Chuck Jones)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks