What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: Devil's Doorway (1950) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
434215365_839399258225756_3080397451979914799_n.jpg

Coming to Blu-ray on May 7th from the Warner Archive Collection!
New 2024 1080p HD master from 4K scan of best presevation elements.

DEVIL’S DOORWAY (1950)
BD-50
87 Minutes
B&W
16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
DTS-HD MA 2.0
English SDH
Directed by Anthony Mann

Special features: Classic cartoons “The Chump Champ” and “Cue Ball Cat”

Cast: Robert Taylor, Louis Calhern, Paula Raymond
Shoshone tribesman and Civil War hero Lance Poole (Robert Taylor) returns home with a Congressional Medal of Honor on his chest and a saddlebag full of dreams about prospering as a cattleman on his family’s land. But Native Americans have no citizenship, no property rights. The courts, despite the efforts of Lane’s attorney (Paula Raymond) offer no remedy. Lance and his people must fight to keep their land. Devil’s Doorway, the first of the several groundbreaking Westerns by master auteur filmmaker Anthony Mann (The Naked Spur) is one of the earliest films sympathetic to the plight of Native Americans, standing alongside the same year’s Broken Arrow. Perhaps not coincidentally, Lane Poole’s tribal name is Broken Lance.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D1K1KPYP/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1ODHV1GGF2YXM&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.-0zJ2giHRUynNOdXIoupR06N2VxkGvCb0-erMxfiByTGjHj071QN20LucGBJIEps.fP_Nvk8CC5-Zhu2hxn-OMshdvjZUgg_5yH-hC8K6qG0&dib_tag=se&keywords=devil's+doorway+blu-ray&qid=1712933170&s=movies-tv&sprefix=devil's+doorway+blu-ray,movies-tv,91&sr=1-2

Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
This is one of a few westerns on my list to watch for the first time but not easy to find online or to stream etc.

I see it's on DVD and was thinking about buying that but might get this now when released.

Fury At Sundown and Gunman's Walk are a couple of others on my list that are also not exactly easy to find either.

Good to see Warner doing their thing as usual.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Actually, it appears Fury At Sundown is available on Amazon as SD for $2.99 so will watch that soon, I think.

Last time I checked it wasn't around anywhere.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
One of the only major studio films from the POV of an indigenous character until recent times. Yes, Robert Taylor, a white actor plays a Sonoshine 'Indian,' but it was 1950 and the film wouldn't have even been made with an indigenous actor in the lead. Regardless, Taylor delivered the best performance of his career as American Civil War vet Lance Poole. The cinematography by 'Painting with Light' author John Alton is amazing.

I'd rank among Anthony Mann's five best films. Every film lover should own this one!

Too bad it isn't from the OCN, but we can't have everything.

A very nice piece on it can be found here:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
One of the only major studio films from the POV of an indigenous character until recent times. Yes, Robert Taylor, a white actor plays a Sonoshine 'Indian,' but it was 1950 and the film wouldn't have even been made with an indigenous actor in the lead. Regardless, Taylor delivered the best performance of his career as American Civil War vet Lance Poole. The cinematography by 'Painting with Light' author John Alton is amazing.

I'd rank among Anthony Mann's five best films. Every film lover should own this one!

Agree that Taylor is at his best, not to mention Alton and Mann.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Let us not forget two very important films from 1925 and 1929.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Although more minor-league, let's not leave out "End of the Trail" (1932-Col), with Tim McCoy. It still backs a bit of a punch, in showing the Indians getting a raw deal.

I thought things couldn't get worse for Noah Beery in "The Vanishing American" (1925-Par), when he gets an arrow through the neck. But then, I also saw "North of 36" (1924-Par), and in that one, Beery gets dragged by the Indians into a teepee, with the implication he's going to be skinned alive. But he was such a despicable villain in each film that I don't doubt the audiences were cheering at his grisly fate.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Let us not forget two very important films from 1925 and 1929.
I said "one of" for a reason.

I can't wait to see it in HD!

I'm particularly looking forward to the bar fight with a thunder/lightning storm happening outside. One of Mann/Alton's best-composed sequences.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic!

This will finally replace the Warner Archive DVD that I have never watched as after sampling it I thought the movie deserved better.

It will be magnificent to watch this on Blu-ray as my first time viewing!

1711955680409.png

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Fantastic!

This will finally replace the Warner Archive DVD that I have never watched as after sampling it I thought the movie deserved better.

It will be magnificent to watch this on Blu-ray as my first time viewing!

View attachment 218356

I have never seen this movie so was considering buying the DVD, as it's not available to stream. IMHO Warner transfers are usually close to the best they can be, so I was thrown by your comments, what did you not like about the DVD?
If you consider the DVD poor, unless new elements have been discovered, this does not bode well for this Blu-ray?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks