What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: The Nun's Story (1959) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
433449688_833669308798751_8365918833148456558_n.jpg

Coming to Blu-ray from the Warner Archive Collection on May 14th!
New 1080p HD master from 4K scan of the Original Camera Negative,
THE NUN'S STORY (1959)

BD-50
COLOR
Running Time-149 Minutes
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.85:1
Audio Format: DTS HD MA 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH

Includes Original Theatrical Trailer

Cast: Audrey Hepburn, Peter Finch, Edith Evans
Director Fred Zinnemann’s The Nun’s Story is an unforgettable revelation of the seldom-seen world behind convent walls. This landmark motion picture classic stars a radiant Audrey Hepburn portrays a nun whose life journey takes her from the staff of a mental asylum to a much-desired position as a surgical nurse in the Belgian Congo. But when she returns to her native Belgium as World War II breaks out, she is torn between the needs of the Resistance and the church’s neutrality. The Nun’s Story earned eight Oscar® nominations, including Best Picture; New York Film Critics’ Awards for Best Actress and Director; and National Board of Review Awards for Best Picture, Director and Supporting Actress (Edith Evans).

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D1K2PDS...x=the+nun's+story+blu+ray,movies-tv,81&sr=1-1

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
This has never looked good on home video - I cannot wait to see this. It's not enough to credit Hepburn and Zinneman when talking about this movie - one must always mention the cinematographer, the amazing Franz Planer, and the other Franz - Waxman - whose score is magnificent.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
This has never looked good on home video - I cannot wait to see this. It's not enough to credit Hepburn and Zinneman when talking about this movie - one must always mention the cinematographer, the amazing Franz Planer, and the other Franz - Waxman - whose score is magnificent.

Strangely enough, I was actually listening to Waxman’s score for this film only yesterday, which is definitely one of the best aspects of the film. This and Friendly Persuasion are probably the biggest draws for me in this batch.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
As a Thank You to WAC for this restoration and release of The Nuns Story, I will purchase the entire roster of April’s offerings to show my support of this specific undertaking. Years ago, The Nuns Story was reported as being a very problematic and/or expensive restoration; to which many cineasts, on this announcement day, will be thrilled to learn that all has been resolved. Kudos to everyone involved.

I, too, consider this to be Audrey Hepburn’s finest and most subtle performance of her career. Peter Finch, Edith Evans, Peggy Ashcroft and Fred Zinnemann are at the top of their game. A masterpiece with nary a false note.

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
A radiant Audrey Hepburn, and meticulous direction from another cinema titan: Fred Zinnemann. I have loved this film since 1958, and I'm never bored with it. I even read the book, that's how much I liked the film.
Found the novel a bit of a slog. Love the movie though.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The novel of "The Nun's Story" written by Katherine Hulme was based on Marie-Louise Habets a Belgian Nun who worked in the Belgian Congo from 1933-1939. She left the convent to join the fight against the Nazis 1944. Habets met Hulme in 1945. Hulme published The Nun's Story in 1956. From the time they met, they were together. In 1960 they moved to Kauai where they lived together until Hulmes death in in 1981. Habets died 5 years later in 1986.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Saw it first as a little Catholic kid....horrified by one scene (no spoilers). Seeing it many years later, I think it's an excellent, intelligent, beautifully produced film

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks