What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Announcement: Storm Warning (1951) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
resize-2.jpeg

Special Features: TRAILER; WB SHORT "ONE WHO CAME BACK"; WB CARTOON "BUNNY HUGGED"

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Such an unusual movie. Below are my letterboxd notes from when I finally caught up with it a couple of years ago. I'd also add that I remember some nicely moody and effective B&W photography; I bet the disc will look great (pretty safe bet from WA I guess).

Kind of like a zombie movie that complains that the zombies don't pay taxes but ignores all the brain eating. It's a film about the KKK with no mention of, or reference to, white supremacy. Still well worth watching, with excellent performances from Ginger Rogers and Steve Cochran in particular. If you accept its strange terms, you can appreciate its effectiveness: suspenseful and frequently chilling, especially as it approaches and reaches its climax.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Such an unusual movie. Below are my letterboxd notes from when I finally caught up with it a couple of years ago. I'd also add that I remember some nicely moody and effective B&W photography; I bet the disc will look great (pretty safe bet from WA I guess).

Kind of like a zombie movie that complains that the zombies don't pay taxes but ignores all the brain eating. It's a film about the KKK with no mention of, or reference to, white supremacy. Still well worth watching, with excellent performances from Ginger Rogers and Steve Cochran in particular. If you accept its strange terms, you can appreciate its effectiveness: suspenseful and frequently chilling, especially as it approaches and reaches its climax.
You have to remember that this movie was filmed during the "Jim Crow" era which means it would have a very limited run in movie theaters in certain parts of this country. In short, they wouldn't show it at all. An important and ground-breaking film nonetheless.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I don't remember this movie at all, but I love Steve Cochran :emoji_hearts:, so maybe I'll buy it.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I like this movie. I thought both Reagan and Rogers were excellent. Plus Steve Cochran always gives a solid performance and he does in this film.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
There's a misspelling in your statement (or is it a typo?). It is not spelled n-e-u-r-o-s-e-s, it's spelled p-o-e-t-r-y.
So very true. But can you see Ginger as Blanche? Ginger here has neither neurosis nor poetry. Let's say that the cast acquits itself quite well with this material. I like this movie.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
So very true. But can you see Ginger as Blanche? Ginger here has neither neurosis nor poetry. Let's say that the cast acquits itself quite well with this material. I like this movie.
Oh, the film is a riff (or is it rip off?) on Streetcar for sure! The mind boggles at the horror of a Ginger Rogers Blanche! But I think Doris Day is a good stand in for Stella. While I wish the material were stronger and more open about the KKK, it remains a solid effort. I'll definitely be upgrading from the DVD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You have to remember that this movie was filmed during the "Jim Crow" era which means it would have a very limited run in movie theaters in certain parts of this country. In short, they wouldn't show it at all. An important and ground-breaking film nonetheless.

If Hollywood is so damned liberal, they ought to be making films like this again, only much more potent given the lifting of the Breen Office restrictions. Spike Lee should step in and make the granddaddy of all films dealing with racial imbalance and violence and hate. Baffles me that people can feel hate for total strangers just by looking at them, or just by hearing about them, or just by being told about them by some bigot on t.v.

Discrimination against women and people of color nauseates me. I admittedly do not march in protest on their behalf (although I did in college back in the notorious SDS* days), but I am happy to be courteous and respectful to everyone I meet. I've made a few great friends along the way by doing so.

*Students for a Democratic Society

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Uh, I think he did. It's called Do The Right Thing.

Yes, Thomas, I am quite aware of that film and own it and rewatch it periodically. In 1989, I did indeed consider it to be the "granddaddy" of racial prejudice exposes. With this post, I meant a contemporary film accurately reflecting the increasing hate, the rise (again) of Neo-Naziism, the general political and sociological trends of domestic terror and the increasing acceptance of it that have come, much more openly, to the fore since 1989.

gjn123

Agent
Real Name
Brendan Brennan
If Hollywood is so damned liberal, they ought to be making films like this again, only much more potent given the lifting of the Breen Office restrictions. Spike Lee should step in and make the granddaddy of all films dealing with racial imbalance and violence and hate. Baffles me that people can feel hate for total strangers just by looking at them, or just by hearing about them, or just by being told about them by some bigot on t.v.

Discrimination against women and people of color nauseates me. I admittedly do not march in protest on their behalf (although I did in college back in the notorious SDS* days), but I am happy to be courteous and respectful to everyone I meet. I've made a few great friends along the way by doing so.

*Students for a Democratic Society

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Note: Wrong release date in this Facebook post as it should be Tuesday, April 25th.

Coming from the Warner Archive Collection on April 24th!

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of Original Nitrate Camera Negative!

STORM WARNING (1951)

Run Time 94:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4x3
Product Color B&W
Disc Configuration BD 50

Special Features: Classic Merrie Melodies cartoon “Bunny Hugged”, Vintage short subject “One Who Came Back”, Original Theatrical Trailer.

Cast: Ginger Rogers, Ronald Reagan, Doris Day, Steve Cochran
A mob in hooded white robes. A man running for his life. Gunfire. In the South to visit her sister Lucy, Marsha Mitchell witnesses a Ku Klux Klan murder. Once safely with Lucy, Marsha gasps at the terror she has seen….then recognizes her sister’s brutish, new husband as one of the killers. She could lie, protect her sister and leave town. Or she could be the one person brave enough to bring the Klan to justice. Ginger Rogers and Doris Day as the sisters, Steve Cochran as the husband, and Ronald Reagan as a crusading D.A. give some of the finest performances of their careers in this explosive indictment of a hate that poisoned America from within. Part thriller, part expose, part stirring human drama, Storm Warning is “feverish..engrossing” (Leonard Maltin’s Classic Movie Guide) – and moviemaking at its most powerful.

1680512994340.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks