What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Announcement: Looney Tunes Collectors Choice Volume 1 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
All Warner Archive Blu-rays are pressed and all animation releases have been uncut, other than irreversible changes made for reissue where original prints aren't in existence. I was pleasantly surprised to find the 80th anniversary Bugs set had more than a few cartoons with original "rings" replacing Blue Ribbon titles, even though it's only the pre-1950 shorts that had credits lopped off.

onga999

Agent
Real Name
Oak
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3 in Movies & TV, #2 in Blu-ray.
This is good to see! Hopefully it will be a sales success and lead not only to more Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies on disc, but also other cartoons from Warner's library. I'm still hoping for 1950's Popeye, Barney Bear and big chunks of the Hanna Barbera library!

Peter Neski

Screenwriter

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Even the 80th Anniversary Bugs Bunny set from 2020 included proper 1.37:1 versions for all the shorts, including two of the previously cropped ones like Lumber Jack-Rabbit and False Hare.

But its not accurate to how those shorts were presented theatrically originally now is it? Furthermore "Proper 1.37:1" is now pointless when you're wasting precious resolution on black bars and empty headspace on the top and bottom of the frame.

Last edited:

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
While I would appreciate more Clampett and Tex Avery on bluray, I am very happy to see Arthur Davis included in the forthcoming volume.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
But its not accurate to how those shorts were presented theatrically originally now is it? Furthermore "Proper 1.37:1" is now pointless when you're wasting precious resolution on black bars and empty headspace on the top and bottom of the frame.
Sony is the only studio I've seen follow aspect ratios on cartoons to the letter, as seen on the Magoo and UPA sets they released. Warner didn't seem to be that concerned about consistency as the few cartoons I've been able to examine don't match up. Heaven Scent, released in 1956, looks like it was meant for 1.85:1. Same thing for A-Scent the Matterhorn, released in 1959. Yet, I've actually seen a strip of 35mm from What's Opera, Doc? (1957) and it's clearly meant for 1.37:1. Most of the 60s cartoons released on Blu-ray look like they have enough head room to work for 1.85:1, but there's probably more animation fans that would be irked by the widescreen versions than be delighted.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
You are 100% correct.

...but when WHV tried to present theatrical shorts that were intended for 1.85 theatrical projection, the animation community went ballistic in protest

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks