What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"The Alamo"s Status? (1 Viewer)

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
"The laser disc is standard def. Upconverting that source material would not make a real Blu-ray. It would essentially be the same thing as taking your standard DVD of The Alamo and playing it in an upconverting DVD player. The film needs to be restored from the original elements as much as possible using all the latest technology. It is expensive and I don't know who would pay for it, but that's what needs to be done for a Blu-ray release."

Thank you for your cilvilized response; actually, I was expecting to be ripped a new one for being so ill-informed, but that said, I understand perfectly well that a DVD made from the LD would not be a true "blu-ray" release.

However, it seems *very* unlikely that the film will ever be restored. It sounds like time and neglect have taken their combined tolls on any surviving elements. Frankly, I would be very content with a standard DVD release of the "road show" release of the film as opposed to NEVER seeing that version of the film again on any medium (except for going back and purchasing a LD player for one movie, or a VHS player for the VHS version of the film). The future doesn't look bright for a director's or "Roadshow" cut of "The Alamo" - and more's the pity.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I just saw the 167-minute version on Retroplex last night; it has been years since I last saw it. What an incredible film! I really hope that the restoration on the 202-minute roadshow version can be completed and would love to see that version released on DVD. This is definitely one of my "holy grail" titles.

Darby

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Darby67 said:
I just saw the 167-minute version on Retroplex last night; it has been years since I last saw it. What an incredible film! I really hope that the restoration on the 202-minute roadshow version can be completed and would love to see that version released on DVD. This is definitely one of my "holy grail" titles.

Darby
With all its speechifying, the movie does get corny at times. However, I find the its epic qualities to be often thrilling. The scenes where Santa Anna's armies show up are as spectacular as the action scenes (with Dimitri Tiomkin's equally epic score accompanying the visuals). There are many shots that have such a screen filling quality that I often find myself just concentrating on the visuals. As we become inundated with CGI phony epics, these older "cast of thousands" films really stand out as being unique products of their times whose like will not be seen again.

And sadly, The Alamo itself will apparently not be seen again, at least in its entirety.

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
David: I liked your comment, especially about the "speechifying" in the film. If I remember, Davy Crockett talks about that very thing about his time in Congress (but seriously, it was a major weakness of the film that critics took great pains to point out at the time). More importantly, the film is very impressive with its big set pieces (as you point out, the arrival of Santa Ana's army - if I remember correctly, one crusty old defended on the wall says "that's the prettiest army he'd ever seen"... or something like that. The reality of a "cast of thousands" can be pretty breathtaking, and Wayne really got it right in the film.

Robert Harris is probably the only person who can comment on the possibility of any kind of future restoration or re-release, but I think he's probably given-up on the project. I still think that if the laser disc 'director's cut' edition can somehow be converted to DVD that it's worth the time and trouble, and I'm quite certain that there is a market for it even if it's not the pristine restoration we'd all like to see.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
sonomatom1 said:
Robert Harris is probably the only person who can comment on the possibility of any kind of future restoration or re-release, but I think he's probably given-up on the project. I still think that if the laser disc 'director's cut' edition can somehow be converted to DVD that it's worth the time and trouble, and I'm quite certain that there is a market for it even if it's not the pristine restoration we'd all like to see.
I don't know. See post #3 of this thread.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
JoeDoakes said:
I don't know. See post #3 of this thread.
I would expect Mr. Harris to keep absolutely mum on the issue, if progress is being made on this front. If and when there is a 100% certainty, I'm sure he would share something with us. Conversely, if the project is dead and buried, he'd tell us. After the announcements and releases of titles like Batman-The Original TV series, The Wonder Years, and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, I think I've learned that It's never over........till it's over.

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
It's weird, but I almost kept my LD just because I wanted to keep the LD version of this one movie. I guess I intuitively knew I'd never see it again. Sigh.

Reactions: PMF

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
I've kept both of my LD players and have the road show LD and the regular DVD of The Alamo. If the studio cares so little about this film, maybe it's time that other technical video enthusists take matters into their own hands and marry the best surviving elements of both mediums into a single DVD. Just sayin'.

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
I was all set to purchase a used LD player and a copy of the 'Roadshow" LDs, but when I discovered that it would cost nearly $100 to have the LDs transferred to DVDs (with no idea how successful the transfer might be), plus the cost of a used player, I decided it just wasn't worth it. I think I'm throwing the towel in - I won't live long enough to ever see the release of a restored version of this film (which I think, frankly, has more value than the "Batman" TV series, but I digress).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Richard Stammer said:
I've kept both of my LD players and have the road show LD and the regular DVD of The Alamo. If the studio cares so little about this film, maybe it's time that other technical video enthusists take matters into their own hands and marry the best surviving elements of both mediums into a single DVD. Just sayin'.
This is also one of the reasons I have kept my 2 Laser players. Roadshow versions of THE ALAMO, HAWAII, COMPLETE SHOWBOAT COLLECTION, RAINTREE COUNTY, Pioneer version of 1776, and several of the DAWN OF SOUND collections.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
ahollis said:
This is also one of the reasons I have kept my 2 Laser players. Roadshow versions of THE ALAMO, HAWAII, COMPLETE SHOWBOAT COLLECTION, RAINTREE COUNTY, Pioneer version of 1776, and several of the DAWN OF SOUND collections.
I have all those LD releases too and each one is a keeper. However, just to be clear -- the LD of RAINTREE COUNTY is the general release version. I believe the roadshow version made it to VHS (I don't have t), but not laserdisc. However, TCM has shown the roadshow version in the past and may still run it for all I know.

Reactions: PMF

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Rob_Ray said:
I have all those LD releases too and each one is a keeper. However, just to be clear -- the LD of RAINTREE COUNTY is the general release version. I believe the roadshow version made it to VHS (I don't have t), but not laserdisc. However, TCM has shown the roadshow version in the past and may still run it for all I know.
Saturday, July 19 a 1:15 PM (EST) on TCM

FWAJMB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Blosser
Robert A. Harris:

Is there any new news to report on an Alamo restoration?

Thanks,
Jason

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think RAH is following his SOP of saying nothing until he's in a position to say something. That being said, if we get anything, we may get an announcement in the near future of an IAMMMMW-style package.

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
I think I'm going to cop-out and buy a good copy of the VHS 2-tape "Director's Cut" and have it professionally transferred to DVD. Obviously, it's not going to be pristine or anywhere near the quality of the LD I mistakenly sold, but at least, I'll have a copy. And, honestly, I'm a little frustrated with Robert Harris. My respect for the man is enormous, but I've read his article about the deplorable shape of the film from several years back, and by now, he should have a pretty good idea if any kind of restoration is remotely possible. I'm not sure why he's so "hush-hush" about it - it's not like there is a gaggle of other restoration experts clamoring for the rights to resuscitate this film (and clearly MGM could give less than a damn about the project...).

FWAJMB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Blosser
Stephen_J_H said:
I think RAH is following his SOP of saying nothing until he's in a position to say something. That being said, if we get anything, we may get an announcement in the near future of an IAMMMMW-style package.
I think I'm going to cop-out and buy a good copy of the VHS 2-tape "Director's Cut" and have it professionally transferred to DVD. Obviously, it's not going to be pristine or anywhere near the quality of the LD I mistakenly sold, but at least, I'll have a copy. And, honestly, I'm a little frustrated with Robert Harris. My respect for the man is enormous, but I've read his article about the deplorable shape of the film from several years back, and by now, he should have a pretty good idea if any kind of restoration is remotely possible. I'm not sure why he's so "hush-hush" about it - it's not like there is a gaggle of other restoration experts clamoring for the rights to resuscitate this film (and clearly MGM could give less than a damn about the project...).
You can buy the true 2.35:1 LaserDisc and a used player on eBay for under $100. The VHS still managed to crop the sides back in the we're-afraid-of-black-bars-annoying-the-ignorant-masses days.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
sonomatom1 said:
It was the same with IAMMMMW and Mr. Harris. Nothing was said by him until it was announced for release. If he is working on The Alamo and has to keep quiet now, that's okay be me. :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
FWAJMB said:
Robert A. Harris:

Is there any new news to report on an Alamo restoration?

Thanks,
Jason
Hi Jason - please go back to post 67 from Richard V and see who "liked" that post. I think that provides some insight (and reason for cautious optimism) and goes along with what John and Stephen posted above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks