What's new

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
Color for the new restoration was meticulously followed from our DCP, not from the 2008 Blu-ray, which for some reason seems to have come away with an extra point of red.

That's an interesting info, yet so casually written here. Basically, are we to understand the 2008 BDs had a wrong color grading because of a mistake, and... nobody corrected it for more than 10 years ?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
That's an interesting info, yet so casually written here. Basically, are we to understand the 2008 BDs had a wrong color grading because of a mistake, and... nobody corrected it for more than 10 years ?
We’re talking about something extremely minor, to the point of being hardly noticeable by the general public.

And that’s why it’s casually written.

I had only mentioned it for clarity.

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
Thanks for the precision.

It's just that from what I understand from your original post here, the colors of the new restorations follow the (circa) 2008 DCPs, which are different than the 2008 BDs. But it turns out the differences in colors between the 2008 BD and the 2022 UHDs (and most likely BDs) aren't minor at all. I supposed that might be because of this specific mistake on the BDs. You're now saying it's extremely minor, so... I guess it can't explain the differences. So where do the (clearly) cooler schemes for the 2022 video version of all 3 films come from ? That's something I already noticed when comparing the Coda BD vs the older Godfather 3 BD, which could have been a one-off because it's a re-cut (etc), but this does seem to be the same for the 1st two movies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks for the precision.

It's just that from what I understand from your original post here, the colors of the new restorations follow the (circa) 2008 DCPs, which are different than the 2008 BDs. But it turns out the differences in colors between the 2008 BD and the 2022 UHDs (and most likely BDs) aren't minor at all. I supposed that might be because of this specific mistake on the BDs. You're now saying it's extremely minor, so... I guess it can't explain the differences. So where do the (clearly) cooler schemes for the 2022 video version of all 3 films come from ? That's something I already noticed when comparing the Coda BD vs the older Godfather 3 BD, which could have been a one-off because it's a re-cut (etc), but this does seem to be the same for the 1st two movies.
I would presume it to be a studio decision to make updates / changes. I had been told that the original concept was to follow the DCP, which perfectly aligned with Mr. Willis’ intent. It appears things became a bit more fluid. I’m certain that Covid had a part.

But they’re still The Godfather(s). Just not your father’s Godfather(s).

”Thank God I’m only a general…”

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
Thanks again for the precisions. Again, I'm more curious to understand what is coming from where, especially since your posts suggest a sense of continuity over time strongly based on the DP's input. I discovered the movies through the 2001 DVD set, which was with a certain color grading, only to find out these movies were supposed to have a much warmer look as seen in the 2008 BD set, only to find out they're not as seen in the 2022 sets.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm no color expert so I won't be able to comment intelligently on that aspect.

What I will say is I made it through to the marriage to Apollonia scene last night (work and life stuff prevented me from starting the film until past 10pm) but I was as happy as a kid on Christmas morning. While obviously a lot of work was done by the studio specifically for this release, it still reminds me to be thankful for the work that Mr. Harris did on the previous effort. It's all part of the ongoing effort to preserve, to the best of our abilities, a wonderful work of art for future generations. I was nothing short of extremely pleased with what I saw and heard last night, and can't wait until the day's over today so I can pick up where I left off (poor Apollonia, though, for what's about to come).

I made the outlay for the boxed edition and while I'm not certain it's worth the price premium over the standard discs only version for the casual collector, I do like the book that came with it. Not super thrilled that the disc holder is part of the book packaging, I'll need to find some extra cases sitting around for the discs themselves so I don't have to keep opening the box every time I want to see the films.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I'm no color expert so I won't be able to comment intelligently on that aspect.

What I will say is I made it through to the marriage to Apollonia scene last night (work and life stuff prevented me from starting the film until past 10pm) but I was as happy as a kid on Christmas morning. While obviously a lot of work was done by the studio specifically for this release, it still reminds me to be thankful for the work that Mr. Harris did on the previous effort. It's all part of the ongoing effort to preserve, to the best of our abilities, a wonderful work of art for future generations. I was nothing short of extremely pleased with what I saw and heard last night, and can't wait until the day's over today so I can pick up where I left off (poor Apollonia, though, for what's about to come).

I made the outlay for the boxed edition and while I'm not certain it's worth the price premium over the standard discs only version for the casual collector, I do like the book that came with it. Not super thrilled that the disc holder is part of the book packaging, I'll need to find some extra cases sitting around for the discs themselves so I don't have to keep opening the box every time I want to see the films.

My words exactly, including the "no color expert" part. I do find myself unsure where to step in this whole "controversy." I completely respect the work of Mr. Harris (my god, without him we wouldn't have Lawrence!), so if I enjoy these discs, then I am somehow denigrating his work and the artistry of Mr. Willis. But I do enjoy these films and how they appear in this release. Yet, I'm the first film snob on the block to rage against The Studios tampering with the artist's intent. Yet, Coppola DID approve these and worked with the team to restore them. There's no winning here: either I hold my nose and support Mr. Harris and Mr. Willis, or cave into corporate greed who choose popular consumption over artistry. "Oh godfather, I don't know what to do, what to do."

To comment on the packaging--the extra expense wasn't worth it. It would have been nice if they would have included some content that was not in the cheaper set, but that didn't happen. The book is pure fluff and I had finished "reading" it after 2 minutes. In hindsight, I should've saved myself a few bucks.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My words exactly, including the "no color expert" part. I do find myself unsure where to step in this whole "controversy." I completely respect the work of Mr. Harris (my god, without him we wouldn't have Lawrence!), so if I enjoy these discs, then I am somehow denigrating his work and the artistry of Mr. Willis. But I do enjoy these films and how they appear in this release. Yet, I'm the first film snob on the block to rage against The Studios tampering with the artist's intent. Yet, Coppola DID approve these and worked with the team to restore them. There's no winning here: either I hold my nose and support Mr. Harris and Mr. Willis, or cave into corporate greed who choose popular consumption over artistry. "Oh godfather, I don't know what to do, what to do."

To comment on the packaging--the extra expense wasn't worth it. It would have been nice if they would have included some content that was not in the cheaper set, but that didn't happen. The book is pure fluff and I had finished "reading" it after 2 minutes. In hindsight, I should've saved myself a few bucks.
You’re not caving to anything. Nothing wrong with liking the new look.

Or both.

Same wonderful films. Great new taste…

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also the curse of having the best resolution and a large(ish) screen...I just noticed during the Don's funeral the freeway in the background and all the 18-wheelers (and other anachronistic vehicles) driving on it. Obviously they've always been there but I'm too young to have seen this in the theater, and watching them on VHS and DVD (which is when most of my viewings occurred) on less than 40" TVs, I never noticed them before.

RATLSNAKE

Agent
This interview with James Mockoski (Archivist and Restoration Supervisor for Francis' American Zoetrope) about the new Godfather restoration also pays homage to RAH's earlier restoration. :)

NPan

Auditioning
Real Name
Nik Panou
Robert, I recently saw the 4K restoration of both movies. What a stunning job. I felt that even more love went into it than last time, but the 2007 HD version was already mind blowing to watch.

Is there any chance that the movies will officially be released with the deleted scenes found in NBC’s 1977 The Godfather Saga (A Novel For Television) or AMC’s 2012 The Godfather Saga? As the subsequent Epic, Novella and Trilogy re-cuts were all incomplete.

Furthermore, are some of the scenes that did not even make it into the Saga lost forever? I’m thinking of Clemenza’s people roughing up the thugs who hurt Amerigo’s daughter in Part I or Michael killing Fabrizio in his pizzeria with a lupara in Part II.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert, I recently saw the 4K restoration of both movies. What a stunning job. I felt that even more love went into it than last time, but the 2007 HD version was already mind blowing to watch.

Is there any chance that the movies will officially be released with the deleted scenes found in NBC’s 1977 The Godfather Saga (A Novel For Television) or AMC’s 2012 The Godfather Saga? As the subsequent Epic, Novella and Trilogy re-cuts were all incomplete.

Furthermore, are some of the scenes that did not even make it into the Saga lost forever? I’m thinking of Clemenza’s people roughing up the thugs who hurt Amerigo’s daughter in Part I or Michael killing Fabrizio in his pizzeria with a lupara in Part II.
Nothing is written.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Harris, were you involved in the restorations that led to the 2012 AMC and 2016 HBO airings of the Epic/Saga/Novel?
Welcome to HTF. A pleasure to meet you after all these years, and look forward to your new restoration.

I was not involved in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks