What's new

English Patient

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph
Aside from the movies themselves, what I'm most looking forward to in this set is the special feature on the latest restoration process, which should be a good bookend to the fascinating "Emulsional Rescue" feature from the original bluray set. I wish more releases had these kind of features (Wizard of Oz had a pretty good one). The amount of work involved in restoring a film is really staggering and fascinating.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
His images are digital photos of his display which, as Robert Harris pointed out, are therefore worthless.
I am aware of that which is why I said that he may be using different presets. I also would not consider them worthless without knowing the reviewer and how he takes his pictures but certainly they show such huge differences that one cannot help but think that something is amiss.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I am still disappointed the saga isn't included, Coppola did such a great job with the G2 I guess he thinks his masterful editing job would be lost ,But his cut scenes are even more masterful, and they haven't even given us them in HD on disc
either ......some included shots are welcome,but great scenes are now only on a file I made off HBO

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I am still disappointed the saga isn't included, Coppola did such a great job with the G2 I guess he thinks his masterful editing job would be lost ,But his cut scenes are even more masterful, and they haven't even given us them in HD on disc
either ......some included shots are welcome,but great scenes are now only on a file I made off HBO
Paramount+ would be an ideal venue for the Saga cut in 4K/Dolby Vision.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
His images are digital photos of his display which, as Robert Harris pointed out, are therefore worthless.

I am aware of that which is why I said that he may be using different presets. I also would not consider them worthless without knowing the reviewer and how he takes his pictures but certainly they show such huge differences that one cannot help but think that something is amiss.
Shall we talk about all the factors at play when evaluating from digital photos? No? It's even worse than DVDBeaver's screencaps, which are admittedly flawed. You have to make sure the white balance is equal between the display and the camera sensor, make sure it's pixel-for-pixel accurate, make sure that the display is calibrated, make sure there are no reflections, etc, etc,. It's a bit of a nightmare. We see huge differences, sure, but how many of those can be accounted for in the methodology of using a camera to photograph the screen?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Reading here that the "Coppola Restorations" blu-rays were a little too red drives me crazy. I paid good money for them, and they were supposed to be the definitive edition, representative of a very careful restoration... Why the hell were they too red??? Do we have to buy the movie once again to get an accurately graded image? How many times more will it take? Will it be wrong again this time?

:angry:
I’ll betcha this had something to do with Diane Keaton’s involvement with Reds.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
A streaming service to which no one subscribes sounds like the perfect place for that abomination!
At the end of 2021, Paramount+ had 33 million subscribers. Disney+, considered to be more successful and widely adopted, currently has 43 million. Both numbers are US/Canada.

While P+ may not be the big success Netflix is, it can hardly be described as something “to which no one subscribes.”

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
At the end of 2021, Paramount+ had 33 million subscribers. Disney+, considered to be more successful and widely adopted, currently has 43 million. Both numbers are US/Canada.

While P+ may not be the big success Netflix is, it can hardly be described as something “to which no one subscribes.”

The Paramount+ 33 million figure is worldwide. Disney’s worldwide total is 130 million.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Paramount+ 33 million figure is worldwide. Disney’s worldwide total is 130 million.

Still unfair to call it something with “no” subscribers. 33 million is nearly the population of Canada!

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Still unfair to call it something with “no” subscribers. 33 million is nearly the population of Canada!
My comment had more to do with my disdain for saga and was not based on any research or knowledge whatsoever of Paramount+’s business, except the obvious that it’s among the least popular of the mainstream streaming services.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Shall we talk about all the factors at play when evaluating from digital photos? No? It's even worse than DVDBeaver's screencaps, which are admittedly flawed. You have to make sure the white balance is equal between the display and the camera sensor, make sure it's pixel-for-pixel accurate, make sure that the display is calibrated, make sure there are no reflections, etc, etc,. It's a bit of a nightmare. We see huge differences, sure, but how many of those can be accounted for in the methodology of using a camera to photograph the screen?

Indeed it is a nightmare, but they show differences in detail with both pictures resolving the pixel structure of his display. In that case I am pretty sure there is a difference in detail which I will check out for myself when I get the UHD versions.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My comment had more to do with my disdain for saga and was not based on any research or knowledge whatsoever of Paramount+’s business, except the obvious that it’s among the least popular of the mainstream streaming services.
To be fair, Paramount does have a much smaller and less popular library than Disney or HBO Max. I'm no authority but I'd imagine that 30 million is pretty decent all things considered.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Indeed it is a nightmare, but they show differences in detail with both pictures resolving the pixel structure of his display. In that case I am pretty sure there is a difference in detail which I will check out for myself when I get the UHD versions.
Are you referring to the Vegas image?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wonder if that number will decrease significantly, with all of the discounted inaugural subscriptions coming up for renewal this month. I canceled my subscription, which I got for half price when the service began a year ago. Tomorrow is the final day I will have access to Paramount+.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Are you referring to the Vegas image?

Yes, that is the only one that is big enough to see a difference.
I take it that this came from a better source than before so hopefully that kind of improvement will be on display for more than a few seconds.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Some great articles today about The Godfather:

white vader

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Because you argued that studios wanted to shoot the film brighter and not alter the prints after the fact, as if it was an extra unnecessary step rather than a common accommodation for drive-in conditions.
Exactly! I was pointing out the stupidity of the situation that the execs had no clue what the process was/should be and that the argument was ludicrous. Still trying to remember where the story came from. It occurs to me now that it might be apocryphal if it was the Robert Evans book.

But I've also dealt with enough clueless studio and marketing types that I totally believe it. And I can imagine Gordon Willis' horror.

Sorry. Does this make more sense now? I didn't think it was that complicated. I mean, y'know, it's Hollywood!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks