"The Alamo"s Status? (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jari K said:
I never use BD Live (or if I use it, there are just some trailers or connection issues). If they want to add extras, they should be included on the disc(s) itself. Blu-ray is a physical media. If I want to dl or stream stuff I use other sources.
You completely missed the point.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Jari K said:
I never use BD Live (or if I use it, there are just some trailers or connection issues). If they want to add extras, they should be included on the disc(s) itself. Blu-ray is a physical media. If I want to dl or stream stuff I use other sources.
schan1269 said:
You completely missed the point.
Jari in my opinion did not miss the point. What he says about keeping bonus content to the discs themselves is the only way to do it. Online content is only there for as long as the servers are maintained. Disney's Fantasia release had lots of online content that is now inaccessible. Will MGM bother to keep stuff like this up and running? Probably not. Also, lots of physical media collectors (by logic) want all the content of a release right there where they can hold it in their hand and access it whenever they want.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is a difference between holding on to "the entire amount of content" vs "a bit piece of it".

Like Alamo here. The extra minutes of this movie could be put online at 480P. Seriously...how much "space" in perpetuity is that going to take up?

Even if there is a limit on the "how many at one time" of that content of say, 5 streams at once, if you go to watch it and want to include the 480P segments of the movie you simply get a message of "current limit met". Are 5 people going to be watching this movie in the US at the same time?(not counting release week)

It would give us the best of both worlds. The content we want in 1080P. And if certain parts of a movie aren't as good...they can be spliced in on our whim. No harm no foul on the side of the content providers.

IF such a system were in play...how many more movies could we get on BD?

I, for one, have no problems with a movie having to revert back and forth if certain scenes are best they can be. This entire "must be 1080P" for everything is what slows the selections down. That would also allow future improvement to the content. Let's say one day another 60 minutes of GWTW is found...why not include it "via the 'net" whenever people with "certain versions of the movie" activate their BD Live? You get a notice stating "there is new content for this movie, click for details".(I would also have no problem with there being an extra charge. $2-3...maybe even $5)

No "new disc" to try and package to sell.
No "new disc" to quadruple dip.

Edit:
Speaking of "having the content". What would stop the studios from allowing the "new content" to be loaded to on-board BD player storage? Or loaded to a DVR/flash drive. DRM exists. IF the extra content is out there...separate from the physical disc, there are already ways to add in the content on the fly.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Lromero1396 said:
Jari in my opinion did not miss the point. What he says about keeping bonus content to the discs themselves is the only way to do it. Online content is only there for as long as the servers are maintained. Disney's Fantasia release had lots of online content that is now inaccessible. Will MGM bother to keep stuff like this up and running? Probably not. Also, lots of physical media collectors (by logic) want all the content of a release right there where they can hold it in their hand and access it whenever they want.
I agree with you on this point. I would like to have both versions on Blu-ray (branching) and not depend on streaming to give me the longer version. I also agree that you are depending on how long MGM wants to keep the content live. While Blu-ray Live was a good idea for some extras, it was never embraced by consumers nor supported by a majority of the distributors.

Reactions: PMF

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
At one time, BD Live* was supposed to allow the watcher of a given movie to put the disc in their BD player and watch the movie as contained. However, you could enable BD Live and splice in the extra minutes of the movie(everywhere they should go) from the 'net.
Please no. The demise of physical media will come soon enough without this type of thing. In this scenario how long would it be before discs were just menus getting us into the online content? You'll put in your "Blu-ray" and then get streaming quality. No thanks.---------------

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
ScottHM said:
Please no. The demise of physical media will come soon enough without this type of thing. In this scenario how long would it be before discs were just menus getting us into the online content? You'll put in your "Blu-ray" and then get streaming quality. No thanks.---------------
Ditto. No streaming for me, either.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well...

1. This ability was never realized...
2. Missing the point, still.

Not that I want to derail a thread devoted to a movie....but...

IF that ability had come to fruition...

Lust, Caution might finally see the light of day in BD(firmly believe the reason it hasn't is nobody wants to choose R or NC/17 for its release. Sell it R with the BD Live giving us the NC/17 scenes)

Pillow Book could see a US release as, supposedly, one of the reasons why it hasn't is nobody can agree on which aspect ratio we "dumbass Americans" would want.

La Dolce Vita (same reasons as Pillow Book)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
schan1269 said:
Well...1. This ability was never realized...2. Missing the point, still.Not that I want to derail a thread devoted to a movie....but...IF that ability had come to fruition...Lust, Caution might finally see the light of day in BD(firmly believe the reason it hasn't is nobody wants to choose R or NC/17 for its release. Sell it R with the BD Live giving us the NC/17 scenes)Pillow Book could see a US release as, supposedly, one of the reasons why it hasn't is nobody can agree on which aspect ratio we "dumbass Americans" would want.La Dolce Vita (same reasons as Pillow Book)
I'm sorry but why could most of this not be included on a Blu-ray. By the way many titles are released on Blu-ray as unrated and with theatrical Release. TED and AMERICAN PIE films are just an example of many.I also don't subscribe to the "dumbass Americans" theory. I think that the treads here tell the story that almost all films are released OAR. Except for the Fox MOD line.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
JoeDoakes said:
I hope the next post in this thread has something to do with The Alamo.
nsfa.jpg

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
battlebeast said:
Is The Alamo suffering the same fate as Mad World, IE Missing scenes/lost footage? or is there a COMPLETE Roadshow print available?
When the extended laserdisc/vhs was released, the story was that it was from a complete roadshow print. However, from something Mr. Harris once said in the other Alamo thread (it's worth reading the whole thing), I got the impression that the original story may not have been entirely correct. The real problem is that the roadshow elements in particular were not stored properly and have suffered a lot of deterioration. What can be done with it now is not clear. I think that the Wikipedia entry on The Alamo has something about the roadshow version.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks