What's new

Why I love Alamo Drafthouse (2 Viewers)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://www.indiewire.com/article/madonna-banned-from-alamo-drafthouse-after-texting-during-12-years-a-slave-nyff-premiere
The news originated from this Facebook post by film critic Charles Taylor, who passed along the following anecdote from a former student:
Tonight at the New York Film Festival premiere of '12 Years A Slave' (a masterpiece, by the way), I sat behind the unholy trifecta of Jason Ritter, J. Alexander from 'America's Next Top Model,' and Michael K. Williams from 'The Wire.' Plus, a mysterious blonde in black lace gloves who wouldn't stop texting on her Blackberry throughout the first half of the movie. Eventually, a woman next to me tapped her on the shoulder and told her to put her phone away, and the blonde hissed back, 'It's for business... ENSLAVER!' I turned to the shoulder tapper and loudly said, 'THANKS!' and gave her a thumbs up. The rest of the movie, I kept thinking about how I wanted to tell the blonde what a disgrace she was. During the standing ovation, the blonde ducked out and Jason Ritter turned around to make commiserating eye contact, as J. Alexander asked, 'Who WAS that?!' Jason then looked down at the floor. His eyes got wide, and he picked up an envelope and showed it to us and J. And it said: '2 screening tix MADONNA.' And sure enough, we looked to the side of the theater and standing against the wall in black lace gloves was Madonna. The worst person in America.
The issue of texting during movies has been a sore point among moviegoers http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/criticwire-survey-texting-in-theaters">for some time now. No one knows this better than Tim League, founder of the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, the Austin-based theater chain that http://www.indiewire.com/article/alamo_drafthouse_kicks_out_customer_for_texting_creates_an_excellent_new_ps">kicked out a patron for texting during a movie and went on to produce ">several ">amusing http://www.indiewire.com/article/watch-spectacular-now-stars-shailene-woodley-and-miles-teller-appear-in-latest-dont-talk-psa">advertisements with celebrities urging moviegoers to refrain from using their mobile devices when the lights are down.
Upon hearing of Madonna's violation, League took to https://twitter.com/timalamo/status/388686093509738496">Twitter, barring her from stepping foot inside any of the Drafthouse cinema locations until she issues an apology to moviegoers.

I've always loved Alamo. They are great theaters, fun environments and a complete blast. We have an Alamo here in KC, and of course the original.. but they do know how to make a movie experience the right kind.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Excellent, I was hoping for an Alamo thread.

The first Alamo Drafthouse in NoVA opened this year; a five minute walk from my house. (So, yeah, psyched. One reason I moved here.) The first movie I saw, their (now classic) PSA played:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs&feature=share&list=TLWVx6EwX1pxM9Hit66qtUVdVcthhZJ-Lx

And I thought, Holy &%^$&!, this is not what I'm used to!

Alamo feels like a theater built by someone who loves movies. The recent EW article about the theater and its found supports that view. They do fun re-plays of classics and favorites. I've been to their replaying of "The Last Unicorn", with the author of the original book. (Friends are fans, so I went along for fun.) And next week, I'm going to their replaying of "Children of Men".

If you've got an Alamo nearby and haven't been yet, it's a must try.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
On the subject of Alamo and obnoxious celebrities, there is the story of when they were surprised by a visit from Jerry Seinfeld, who apparently wanted a private screening--
They dug out their collection of classic 60's-70's grindhouse/drive-in trailers, and Seinfeld sat, obviously impatient, and not enjoying the whole thing.

And then they found out: He didn't say he wanted to see "B-movie trailers on the big screen"...He wanted to see his "Bee Movie" trailer on the big screen, before the premiere.
(Jerry...you don't go to the freakin' Alamo for THAT.)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Hahah. Yeah, Alamo's nights of flashback are fantastic. I've seen the Big Lebowski there with a crowd, attended a quote a long, they did a presentation of Scarface with a steak meal and booze.. I mean, they completely get what a great theater experience is. It's fantastic.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
https://drafthouse.com/packages/january-2014/northern_virginia

Just wow. Big screen re-viewing of "Children of Men" last Fall was great. "Akira" was amazing. Looking forward to "My Neighbor Totoro" next week. I may have to take my wife to "Eternal Sunshine" later in the month; it's a favorite romantic movie of ours.

If they show "Amelie", I'll explode in joy.

I don't get to as many movies as I'd like; but man I wish I could just live at Alamo.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I would like the management of the Alamo Drafthouses to put up a display in everyone of their lobbies promoting the current campaign to save "The Alamo" -- perhaps a campaign poster from them would be helpful as they are the masters of alternate poster artwork.

Besides, with 'Alamo' in their company name and they fact that they'd fully appreciate the situation (particularly today on the 35th anniversary of John Wayne's passing), this would be a most welcome source of support -- the poster artwork and lobby cards are all online all over the internet -- they can be printed out and a nice, neat and forceful display could be constructed (a standee? No, that would be asking too much) with MGM Studios' Facebook page details, Twitter feed details and snail mail contacts and addresses. I think people standing in their lobbies, waiting for the doors of the theatre to open, could use their time most constructively giving MGM a piece of their mind, believe me.

In fact, they should put a little display in the front window of all their theatres about the campaign. letting those who want to know more that all contact details are in the lobby. It seems the Alamo Drafthouse folks are great at giving orders -- here's one they can send straight to the top -- Save "The Alamo"!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Eventually, a woman next to me tapped her on the shoulder and told her to put her phone away, and the blonde hissed back, 'It's for business... ENSLAVER!'
Madonna. The worst person in America.
I've always referred back to this story as the REASON why the movie won the Oscar, whether it deserved it or not--
Everyone in Hollywood who so much as thought they were "persecuted" or "misunderstood" wished they were a noble slave, and the rest of the world evil Michael Fassbenders.

(Especially the Zelig-like Ms. M, who every week becomes who she wishes she was...) :rolleyes:
Brian McP said:
In fact, they should put a little display in the front window of all their theatres about the campaign. letting those who want to know more that all contact details are in the lobby. It seems the Alamo Drafthouse folks are great at giving orders -- here's one they can send straight to the top -- Save "The Alamo"!
They'd be fools not to attach their name value to the campaign. Even for the Drafthouse fans who aren't Texan.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Couldn’t find a more recent Alamo Drafthouse topic.

Next week we will finally have our first DH movie experience.

Wife is working in Minneapolis and while driving around I saw one.

Can’t wait.

Unfortunately the only Atmos showing currently is the new MiB movie. Oh well.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
When I worked in theaters, there were many offenses that I would have liked to ban people for, but if I had been able to hardly anyone would be allowed in!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Couldn’t find a more recent Alamo Drafthouse topic.

Next week we will finally have our first DH movie experience.

Wife is working in Minneapolis and while driving around I saw one.

Can’t wait.

Unfortunately the only Atmos showing currently is the new MiB movie. Oh well.
I think I've discussed in some of the other "theaters suck" threads. I hadn't realized this was fallow for five years! :O

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks