What's new

"The Alamo"s Status? (2 Viewers)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
This week finally saw the official announcement of a release of the roadshow version (more or less) of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World by Criterion.Wouldn't it be nice to see Criterion release the extended version of The Alamo? How about the same release with The Last Command included as a special feature?(If you are going to dream, then dream big.)

Reactions: PMF

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Timothy E said:
This week finally saw the official announcement of a release of the roadshow version (more or less) of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World by Criterion.Wouldn't it be nice to see Criterion release the extended version of The Alamo? How about the same release with The Last Command included as a special feature?(If you are going to dream, then dream big.)
Dream REALLY big!! Have "The Man from the Alamo" as another added feature, to bring a "coda" to the Alamo saga.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
If Criterion did release the roadshow version, I'm fairly sure that they'd sell lots and lots of copies.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
atfree said:
If I'm gonna dream big, then I'd have to dream of the roadshow version of "The Alamo" and a new, non-DNR'd "Spartacus" from Criterion in 2014.
YES! Count me in on SPARTACUS times seven for all the recently blu-rayed friends who I'll birthday gift it to! Criterion, we need you to make it right! Please!

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Hopefully, if it is feasable, they could use the same restorative techniques used to create the Roadshow version of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and use those to recreate the Roadshow of the Alamo.
Perhaps they can only use the 70mm print for just the scenes that are not in the theatrical cut. Considering it is a john wayne film and that it is the LAST surviving print of this longer cut, It sickens me to know that thus far MGM is not helping out or willing to to much with it. It's sad. Granted I know that MGM has been bought and sold and that the current owners dont give a hoot, but can't some film historians and lovers like Martin Scorsese step in and help out? If it costs a million to restore, i;m surprised he or other lovers of movies and film restoration don't chip and and do something. I always hear that there is legal issues and logistics with doing this, but really your telling me that if I or anyone else showed up with the money needed that they wouldn't or couldnt take or use it? What if I left it on Robert Harris' doorstep with a note from anonymous ;)
Granted I wish I could, but sadly not rich. Far from it actually, but I wish I could help fund these. MGM has a TON of movies that need to be remastered properly for tv and home video use. They have way too many old full frame analog masters for a lot of their niche titles as we have seen with some of the fullframe and older transfers that Shout has used on some of their bargain sets. One day this film will not be usable and it WILL be lost. I can't imagine how that doesn't scare anyone at MGM.

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
Back in the days when I had a laserdisc player, I eagerly purchased the "Roadshow" release of "The Alamo". Although I don't remember a lot of particulars about the quality of the print, I remember it as being quite good, but to my queston. Why isn't it possible to copy the LD version of the film to DVD/Blu-ray? I understand that there is bound (perhaps) to be some degradation, but isn't that a more reasonabl solution that to invest millions of dollars for Mr. Harris to try and restore cans of badly deteroriated film stock?

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
T
sonomatom1 said:
Back in the days when I had a laserdisc player, I eagerly purchased the "Roadshow" release of "The Alamo". Although I don't remember a lot of particulars about the quality of the print, I remember it as being quite good, but to my queston. Why isn't it possible to copy the LD version of the film to DVD/Blu-ray? I understand that there is bound (perhaps) to be some degradation, but isn't that a more reasonabl solution that to invest millions of dollars for Mr. Harris to try and restore cans of badly deteroriated film stock?
The laser disc is standard def. Upconverting that source material would not make a real Blu-ray. It would essentially be the same thing as taking your standard DVD of The Alamo and playing it in an upconverting DVD player. The film needs to be restored from the original elements as much as possible using all the latest technology. It is expensive and I don't know who would pay for it, but that's what needs to be done for a Blu-ray release.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
John Hermes said:
T

The laser disc is standard def. Upconverting that source material would not make a real Blu-ray. It would essentially be the same thing as taking your standard DVD of The Alamo and playing it in an upconverting DVD player. The film needs to be restored from the original elements as much as possible using all the latest technology. It is expensive and I don't know who would pay for it, but that's what needs to be done for a Blu-ray release.
Ok, to whom do I make out the check, and where do I send it?
MGM? RAH?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I thought the whole problem was MGM wouldn't restore and release "The Alamo" because of the cost. If it was FREE (ie, kick starter funded) why WOULDNT they jump at the chance?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Moe Dickstein said:
Because then they look bad because someone gave them the money. Better in their mind to let it rot
Not knowing any of the people who might possibly be involved, this still rings true, given what is often the corporate mentality. But maybe it would just require one person, the right person in the right corporate place, to change everything. We live in a world where "they" changed their minds about "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", after all, despite the forest of "maybe's" and "possibly's".

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Kickstarter is not exactly "free". You give certain amount of money and get something later on. With Alamo, you would donate x amount and get the "special Blu-ray" (or similar) later on. The idea is not that you give them money, they say "thanks" and you have to buy the film from Amazon.com.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
battlebeast said:
I thought the whole problem was MGM wouldn't restore and release "The Alamo" because of the cost. If it was FREE (ie, kick starter funded) why WOULDNT they jump at the chance?
This was already attempted a few years ago but MGM nixed it.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks