What's new

BEST PICTURE NOMINEES on Blu Ray (2 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've had them for years. And yes, they're very inexpensive. The Blu of Great Expectations looks fine, while the one of Hamlet, because of all the dupes, has some issues with dirt and weaving, but is still very watchable. There's also an excellent UK Blu from Network of Henry V, which has Bruce Eder's commentary that was on the Criterion DVD. If you don't own it, by all means get it, especially now as Network has gone out of business. Also, I recently picked up Network's Blu of The Importance of Being Earnest. While the three-strip Technicolor is not on the Warner Archive level, I thought it looked excellent, plus there's a number of extended docs about Wilde and the making of the film.
Yes, Bruce Eder did GREAT commentaries.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
A few corrections/additions …

1927 Seventh Heaven DVD Fox (in Murnau-Borzage set)
1929 In Old Arizona DVD Fox
1931 Bad Girl DVD (should be Fox, not Kino)
1932 One Hour With You BLU Elephant Films (France) all-region
1933 Lady for a Day DVD Image
1933 She Done Him Wrong DVD (should be Universal, not Kino)
1934 Gay Divorcee BLU (Japan import/unrestored-region A)
1935 Lives of a Bengal Lancer DVD (should be Universal, not Kino)
1935 Top Hat BLU (Japan import)
1937 100 Men and a Girl DVD (should be Universal, not Kino)
1941 The Little Foxes BLU (Spain import-appears to be licensed/but not restored-all region)
1942 Wake Island DVD (should be Universal, not Kino)
1943 For Whom the Bell Tolls DVD (should be Universal, not Kino)
1943 Heaven Can Wait BLU Criterion
1943 The Ox-Bow Incident DVD (should be Fox, not Kino)
1943 Song of Bernadette DVD (should be Fox, not Twilight Time)
1944 Since You Went Away DVD (should be Universal, not Kino)
1945 Bells of St. Marys BLU/DVD (should be Olive, not Shout)
1945 The Lost Weekend DVD (should be Universal, not Kino)
1948 Snake Pit DVD (should be Fox, not TT)
1949 All the King’s Men DVD (should be Sony, not TT)
1949 12 O’Clock High BLU/DVD (should be Fox, not Warner)
1950 Born Yesterday DVD (should be Sony, not TT)
1953 Shane BLU (should be Warner, not Paramount)
1954 Three Coins in a Fountain DVD (should be Fox, not TT)
1955 Love is a Many Splendored DVD (should be Fox, not TT)
1955 Marty DVD (should be MGM/UA, not Kino)
1955 Picnic DVD (should be Sony, not TT)
1957 Sayonara DVD (should be MGM/UA, not TT)
I appreciate this immensely!

Reactions: PMF

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've had them for years. And yes, they're very inexpensive. The Blu of Great Expectations looks fine, while the one of Hamlet, because of all the dupes, has some issues with dirt and weaving, but is still very watchable. There's also an excellent UK Blu from Network of Henry V, which has Bruce Eder's commentary that was on the Criterion DVD. If you don't own it, by all means get it, especially now as Network has gone out of business. Also, I recently picked up Network's Blu of The Importance of Being Earnest. While the three-strip Technicolor is not on the Warner Archive level, I thought it looked excellent, plus there's a number of extended docs about Wilde and the making of the film.
Ordered Henry V '45 from Amazon (cheap). Already have Earnest.
Thanks for the tips!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Thank you everyone for your input. The purpose of this thread is to help not only me, but the whole HTF community find films on Blu Ray that they may have missed. Yes, I am going by my collection, and the ones i'm missing, but I know of others who like Oscar nominees. too. and already I have seen people find films on Blu that they have missed. I too have found one thus far.

If I have messed up on the releaser of a disc, I am all too happy to correct it. after all, I want this to be a complete list. I will take all the help I can get!

Again, thank you everyone!

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Yes, Bruce Eder did GREAT commentaries.
I used to have great conversations with him whenever I ran into him in the (now defunct) Tower Records or J&R Music World

Loved his columns in Goldmine Magazine and the Village Voice

jsmiller60

Auditioning
I've had them for years. And yes, they're very inexpensive. The Blu of Great Expectations looks fine, while the one of Hamlet, because of all the dupes, has some issues with dirt and weaving, but is still very watchable. There's also an excellent UK Blu from Network of Henry V, which has Bruce Eder's commentary that was on the Criterion DVD. If you don't own it, by all means get it, especially now as Network has gone out of business. Also, I recently picked up Network's Blu of The Importance of Being Earnest. While the three-strip Technicolor is not on the Warner Archive level, I thought it looked excellent, plus there's a number of extended docs about Wilde and the making of the
The only UK blu of Henry V I’m familiar with is from ITV. Perhaps this is what you are referring to but I don’t see any indication of a Bruce Eder commentary on the front or back of the packaging.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
The only UK blu of Henry V I’m familiar with is from ITV. Perhaps this is what you are referring to but I don’t see any indication of a Bruce Eder commentary on the front or back of the packaging.
Yes, Network aka ITV. I think the copy on the box mentions a commentary without specifying who did it. When I toggled between the two soundtracks, it was Bruce Eder's, the one found on the Criterion Blu-Ray.

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Thanks so much for compiling this. I'm using it to add tags in my DVD Profiler collection for Best Picture nominees and winners.

One nitpick error that might help searchers/search engines if it is corrected: the correct spelling is Doctor Dolittle, not Doctor Doolittle. (Honestly, I would have guessed Doolittle myself until just now failing to find it in DVD Profiler under that title.).

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Thanks so much for compiling this. I'm using it to add tags in my DVD Profiler collection for Best Picture nominees and winners.

One nitpick error that might help searchers/search engines if it is corrected: the correct spelling is Doctor Dolittle, not Doctor Doolittle. (Honestly, I would have guessed Doolittle myself until just now failing to find it in DVD Profiler under that title.).
I will get that fixed asap!

Thanks!!! it’s my pleasure. I’m glad I can help people, and people can help me. :)

Reactions: PMF

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
I have the Coming Home blu-ray Kino Lorber put out in 2014. It's still available on their site. (You have a YES for it but no company listed as I write this).

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Criterion only has The Front Page as an extra on His Girl Friday. I believe Kino has a standalone disc.
The Criterion Nashville is OOP, but Paramount released their own from a newer image harvest.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Criterion only has The Front Page as an extra on His Girl Friday. I believe Kino has a standalone disc.
The Criterion Nashville is OOP, but Paramount released their own from a newer image harvest.
You’re right. They are also two different versions, sort of.

And I forgot that paramount rereleased NASHVILLE. I’ll correct it! Thanks.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If I'm remembering correctly, the Criterion extra of The Front Page is the theatrical U.S. release. The Kino is the international release version with different takes of some crucial scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks