What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: The Exorcist 50th Anniversary Edition (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
a6a28c84-e989-3def-9d2a-8a0ad1c3ddf9.jpg

THE EXORCIST
COMES TO 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAYTM AND DIGITAL

TO CELEBRATE THE ICONIC SUPERNATURAL FILM’S 50TH ANNIVERSARY, THE EXORCIST WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 4K RESOLUTION WITH HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE (HDR)

Purchase the film on 4K Ultra HD Disc and Digital on September 19
Burbank, Calif., August 1, 2023 – As part of the year-long centennial celebration for the 100th anniversary of Warner Bros. Studio, the iconic supernatural film The Exorcist from Academy Award-winning director William Friedkin (The French Connection) will be available for purchase on 4K Ultra HD Disc and Digital for the first time this September.

Celebrating the 50th anniversary of its 1973 release, on September 19 The Exorcist will be available to purchase on Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc from online and in-store at major retailers and available for purchase Digitally from Amazon Prime Video, AppleTV, Google Play, Vudu and more.

The Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs include both the 1973 theatrical version of the film and the 2000 Extended Director’s Cut of the film which features eleven additional minutes of footage not seen in theaters.

Directed by Friedkin from a screenplay by Academy Award winner William Peter Blatty, the film is based on Blatty’s 1971 novel of the same name. The Exorcist stars Academy Award winner Ellen Burstyn (Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore), Academy Award nominee Max von Sydow (Pelle the Conqueror, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close), Academy Award nominee Lee J. Cobb (On the Waterfront, The Brothers Karamazov), Kitty Winn, Jack MacGowan, Academy Award nominee Jason Miller, and Academy Award nominee Linda Blair.

Widely regarded as a supernatural masterpiece, the film was nominated for 10 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director as well as acting nominations for Burstyn, Miller and Blair. The film won two Academy Awards, including Best Adapted Screenplay for Blatty.
In 2010, the United States Library of Congress selected the film for preservation in the National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

The Exorcist will be available on Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc for $33.99 SRP and includes an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the theatrical version of the feature film in 4K with HDR, an Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc with the Extended Director’s Cut of the film in 4K with HDR, and a Digital download of both versions of the film. Fans can also own The Exorcist in 4K Ultra HD via purchase from select digital retailers beginning on September 19.

About the Film
The Exorcist
tells the now-famous story of a girl's demonic possession, and a gripping fight between good and evil. Linda Blair, in a breakout role, plays Regan, a young girl who starts to exhibit strange, arcane behavior. Her mother (Burstyn) calls upon a priest, Father Karras (Miller), to investigate. But Karras, who has a spiritual crisis of his own, is suddenly confronted with the unimaginable evil of Regan's possession. Father Lankester Merrin (Von Sydow), an archeologist-priest, is called to help, and a horrific battle for her soul begins.

The ExorcistUltra HD Blu-ray disc (theatrical version) contains the following previously released special features:
  • Introduction by William Friedkin
  • Commentary by William Friedkin
  • Commentary by William Peter Blatty with Special Sound Effects
The ExorcistDigital release (theatrical version) the following previously released special features:
  • Commentary by William Peter Blatty with Special Sound Effects Tests
  • Introduction by William Friedkin
  • "The Fear of God: 25 Years of the Exorcist"
  • Original Ending
  • William Peter Blatty Interviews
    • "The Original Cut"
    • "Stairway to Heaven"
    • "The Final Reckoning"
  • "Sketches & Storyboards"
  • TV Spots
    • "Beyond Comprehension"
    • "You Too Can See the Exorcist"
    • "Between Science & Superstition"
    • "The Movie You've Been Waiting For"
    • "Nobody Expected It"
    • "Life Had Been Good"
  • Trailers
    • "Nobody Expected It"
    • "Beyond Comprehension"
    • "Flash Image"

The Exorcist Extended Director’s Cut Ultra HD Blu-ray disc contains the following previously released special features:
The Exorcist Extended Director’s Cut Digital release contains the following previously released special features:
  • "Beyond Comprehension: William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist"
  • "Talk of the Devil"
  • "Raising Hell: Filming The Exorcist"
  • "The Exorcist Locations: Georgetown Then and Now”
  • "Faces of Evil: The Different Versions of The Exorcist"
  • Radio Spots
    • "The Devil Himself"
    • "Our Deepest Fears"
  • TV Spots
    • "Most Electrifying"
    • "Scariest Ever"
    • "Returns"
    • "Never Seen"
  • Trailers
    • "The Version You've Never Seen"
    • “Our Deepest Fears”

BASICS
PRODUCT ERP

The Exorcist Ultra HD $33.99

The Exorcist
Ultra HD Blu-ray Languages: English, Spanish, French
Ultra HD Blu-ray Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Parisian French
Theatrical Version Run Time: 122 minutes
Extended Director’s Cut Run Time: 132 minutes
Rating: R for strong language and disturbing images
Physical Street Date: September 19, 2023
Digital Street Date: September 19, 2023

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I rarely do this but I am going for the BestBuy Steelbook release simply to avoid that god-awful artwork (U.S. release).

I don't know what the WB art department was thinking. I understand that the original poster art has been used in just about every prior release dating back to VHS but they could have gone with something better than what they did.

The BestBuy exclusive artwork is just fine

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I rarely do this but I am going for the BestBuy Steelbook release simply to avoid that god-awful artwork (U.S. release).

I don't know what WB was thinking. I understand that the original poster art has been used in just about every prior release dating back to VHS but they could have gone with something better than what they did.
They should have left well enough alone. The original poster artwork is not only iconic, but it's well liked by most fans of this movie.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
New special features?

A press release has not been issued yet. I would expect one before the end of this week and I'll include it in the top post.

There has been back cover artwork that has been circulated around. I can't verify it's authentic but it seems to be.

I also don't have the Blu-ray release in hand to compare so I don't know what is new to this 4k release.

1690503185035.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I don't know what the WB art department was thinking. I understand that the original poster art has been used in just about every prior release dating back to VHS but they could have gone with something better than what they did.

The BestBuy exclusive artwork is just fine
I won't spend the extra money because over the last few months, I've thrown out too many Blu-ray Steelbooks after expanding my disc collection storage space by moving my Blu-ray discs from their original BD cases into Leather Binders.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I won't spend the extra money because over the last few months, I've thrown out too many Blu-ray Steelbooks after expanding my disc collection storage space by moving my Blu-ray discs from their original BD cases into Leather Binders.

That's a good idea. I'm still apprehensive about losing the ability to walk into a room and look over my shelves. I may get there someday, though.

I'm down to buying only 6 titles a year on Disc. So, this one I am going to splurge on.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's a good idea. I'm still apprehensive about losing the ability to walk into a room and look over my shelves. I may get there someday, though.

I'm down to buying only 6 titles a year on Disc. So, this one I am going to splurge on.
It's a lot of work because I ended up categorizing my disc library and inputting that information into DVD Profiler so I can easily find each and every title. Also, I found many mistakes in DVD Profiler that allowed me to correct them. I now have a much better understanding to what I have in my disc library after over 25 years of DVD, HD DVD, BD and 4K/UHD purchases.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'll tell you the one reason -- one that to members here will probably seem a bit petty (too bad!) -- why I would buy this: REINSTATING THE ORIGINAL SAUL BASS OPENING LOGO. That goddamn one with the clouds behind the shield that WB has been slapping across so many original logos pisses me off to no end. I'll await reports.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll tell you the one reason -- one that to members here will probably seem a bit petty (too bad!) -- why I would buy this: REINSTATING THE ORIGINAL SAUL BASS OPENING LOGO. That goddamn one with the clouds behind the shield that WB has been slapping across so many original logos pisses me off to no end. I'll await reports.

It was the red logo, wasn't it?

EJa887nWsAo31C5.jpg-large.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I had talked about this previously in other similar conversations.

I talked with someone at the studio about this years ago as I was wondering why those original Warner logos were repeatedly being replaced with new ones. That referenced Saul Bass logo was used as an example.

The answer I was given was expired licensing issues.

Whether that is currently the case, I am not aware.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I talked with someone at the studio about this years ago as I was wondering why those original Warner logos were repeatedly being replaced with new ones. That referenced Saul Bass logo was used as an example.

Wouldn't WB own this logo in perpetuity? All they need do, I would think, would be to make sure that the parent company was current beneath it ("A Warner Bros. Discovery Company" or whatever). But what do I know?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

It is no longer the case. Warner Music had the rights to the worm logo (or at least the worm logo inside of that rounded square as the current Warner Classics logo is just the lines) but they reverted back to the movie studio about five years ago.

jbirdp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Pascucci
A press release has not been issued yet. I would expect one before the end of this week and I'll include it in the top post.

There has been back cover artwork that has been circulated around. I can't verify it's authentic but it seems to be.

I also don't have the Blu-ray release in hand to compare so I don't know what is new to this 4k release.

View attachment 192519
Thanks, Robert!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks