What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: The Departed (2006) (4k UHD SteelBook) (1 Viewer)

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
As a 2002 production, Gangs of New York was made during the early days of the transition to the Digital Intermediate process, and I believe managed to avoid using one. At least, I don't think it had a full end-to-end DI, though it may have had a partial DI for VFX shots or scenes with digital background plates.

Gangs of New York has already had a couple Blu-ray editions. The first one had an atrocious transfer with tons of DNR and edge enhancement. Fortunately, it was remastered later in 2010 with a much better-looking disc.
Do you know what, I remember that because I purposely bought the remastered one because the original version was horrid.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
As a 2002 production, Gangs of New York was made during the early days of the transition to the Digital Intermediate process, and I believe managed to avoid using one. At least, I don't think it had a full end-to-end DI, though it may have had a partial DI for VFX shots or scenes with digital background plates.

Gangs of New York has already had a couple Blu-ray editions. The first one had an atrocious transfer with tons of DNR and edge enhancement. Fortunately, it was remastered later in 2010 with a much better-looking disc.
I also remember because of the release, it was set to come out in 2001,

Morton Scorsese delayed the release after the 9/11 attacks and because he was trying to get the right cut of the movie done for Harvey Weinstein

so they pushed the release back to 2002
It came out of full year later
so I’m gonna say most likely it was not edited digitally.

I dearly dearly dearly want to see the original four hour cut of that movie, but Martin Scorsese says he will never do a director cut of any film he has made.
I wish he would make an exception for Gangs of New York

Because the workprint version I have is so superior to what the theatrical version is. It’s pure Scorsese.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
He officially released the Directors cut for that?

I wasn’t aware I liked that movie, but there isn’t a Scorsese movie I don’t like.

Originally released at 153 minutes, then cut to 136 minutes and finally re-released in 1981 in a 164-minutes special edition with restored material, including the complete musical number "Happy Endings," which was seen in a much shorter version in the originally released version of the film.

When the film was originally released, it had a running time of 155 minutes. The box-office failure of the film prompted United Artists to cut the film down to 136 minutes. It was then re-released in 1981 with the deleted scenes restored, including the lengthy musical number "Happy Endings", only a small portion of which had appeared in the original release. The total running time of the DVD edition is 163 minutes.

The Collector's Edition Laserdisc was credited as 167 minutes, and Scorsese did a commentary for it, so I assume he was responsible for and approved that version.

nyny.jpg

Last edited:

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela

The Collector's Edition Laserdisc was credited as 167 minutes, and Scorsese did a commentary for it, so I assume he was responsible for and approved that version.

View attachment 214068
Very interesting.
so where is the gangs of New York four hour cut?

the “workprint”version I have is 3 hours 5 minutes (up from 2hrs 47 mins)

so it must be one of the final edits before the final edit was handed in.

The opening gang fight is brutal no fast cuts, it’s extraordinary and pure Scorsese

The movie flows so much better, however, like I’ve stated before it’s a VHS work print copy so it’s difficult to watch

but I watch it because it brings me closer to Scorsese’s original vision for gangs

I haven’t heard about the original four hour cut he handed in to Harvey being available anywhere… Yet… But I’m still searching always

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
IIRC, that VHS workprint of Gangs made its way into the hands of several Hollywood columnists around the time of the film's original theatrical release. It was apparently a fall 2001 edit that Scorsese delivered when the film was still scheduled for December 2021. Miramax refused to release a 3+ hour film and demanded cuts, so it delayed the film a year to December 2002 with the mandate that Scorsese shorten the film. Hearsay reported the 2001 edit remained Scorsese's preferred cut, but he has never gone on the record with that preference. The film was never taken away from him and he signed off on the theatrical version, so he publicly maintains the theatrical version is definitive, however compromised.

By contrast, New York, New York was taken away from Scorsese and cut down by its distributors after it premiered. Scorsese re-inserted the excised footage and lengthened the Happy Endings finale for a 1981 re-release after the success of Raging Bull.

As for The Departed, there's never been any talk of post-production compromises or a longer version. The cut we all know is definitive.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Well crap, my Steelbook arrived today with a nicely dented back cover. Amazon shipped it in a paper envelope with a negligible amount of padding. For $30, it’s going back.
Yes I bought The Limey steel book, and it arrived with a slight crease in the case. I’m not going to worry about sending it back- the disc played fine. I do get your point that shit you order shouldn’t be messed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks