What's new

ISN'T IT ABOUT TIME FOR A COMPREHENSIVE MARILYN MONROE Blu-ray set?!? (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I'm sure the box office benefited enormously from the fact that Kelly had appeared in Dial M for Murder, Rear Window and The Country Girl all released in the same year.
The box office, the studios, the producers, everyone. They all benefitted. It was such a hot topic that, at the 1955 Oscars, emcee Bob Hope joked that there would be a special award given out that evening for the producer "brave enough not to make a picture with Grace Kelly." That evening, Kelly won the Best Actress Oscar for her work in The Country Girl, beating such luminaries as Judy Garland, Audrey Hepburn, Jane Wyman, and Dorothy Dandridge.

1666383109806.png

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Ironic that you mention these two movies together. I've always viewed Kelly's The Swan and Monroe's The Prince and the Showgirl as being equally disappointing for both their careers.

The Prince and the Showgirl was Monroe's attempt to break away from 20th Century-Fox and do an independent production underneath Marilyn Monroe Productions. Monroe was psyched to be working with Laurence Olivier and Dame Sybil Thorndike, but the production was crippled with off-camera melodrama. One documentary said that there was a "glaring lack of chemistry" between Monroe and Olivier, and that most critics dismissed the story as a "slow-moving miscalculation". The movie wasn't a total financial flop, but when comparing its returns to what The Seven Year Itch and Bus Stop had raked in, it was considered a disappointment, especially with a star of Monroe's caliber at the helm. In short, the movie didn't quite help Monroe succeed as an independent filmmaker and screen star.

View attachment 159118

Likewise, The Swan was a muddled misfire for Kelly. The script, based on an old Hungarian play, had been tailored for her. She had even played the part on TV back in 1950. But the movie itself was just a slow-burning misfire. It was Kelly's penultimate film, and her final box office dud.

View attachment 159117
While The Swan did not perform well at the box office, I think it's important to reconsider movies on their own terms. The Magnificent Ambersons was not a box office success either, and yet today it is regarded as Welles' fractured masterpiece - justly so.

The Swan is old-fashioned, in the best sense, and has some wonderful performances by Kelly, Guinness and Jourdan, not to mention a great underscore by Bronislau Kaper and some gorgeous cinematography in 'breath-taking' Cinemascope. Hopefully, it gets its due on Blu from WAC and soon. More Grace Kelly...never a bad thing!

An Elvis Fan

Agent
Real Name
Thomas Widener
Osato,
Not that I’m aware of. Who knows what the future holds? Since this thread has morphed into a Monroe/Kelly thread, many of her, Kelly’s, movies have not been released on Blu ray, much less 4k either. Maybe it’s just me, but it seems the amount of older movies getting new physical media releases gets smaller by the year. Even Warner Archive seems to be cutting back on their releases. As mentioned, new restorations are expensive, but hopefully the movies we would love to see restored will have their day in the sun one of these days.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Excluding her first (brief) film appearance in Fourteen Hours, I would rank The Swan last in a list of her films.
Uh...I think Green Fire is her deadliest last, preceded by Mocambo - a real wet noodle of an adventure yarn when compared to its Gable/Harlow original - Red Dust!

If I had to pick her best performances - all three Hitchcock movies rate very high, with High Noon, High Society, The Country Girl and The Swan coming up from the rear.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
'it seems the amount of older movies getting new physical media releases gets smaller by the year. Even Warner Archive seems to be cutting back on their releases.'

The last announcement from Warner was very disappointing and right before Christmas too. Yes I'm wondering if even High Society will ever get a bluray release. I mean Sinatra, Kelly, Crosby, Armstrong? I'm beginning to think that some of my technicolor favorites will never get the bluray spruce up and I'm stuck with the dvds which are only ok. I mean no 4k announcements for even Ben Hur, WSS or The Sound of Music? Not good. I guess we were very lucky to get Singin' and Oliver!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Excluding her first (brief) film appearance in Fourteen Hours, I would rank The Swan last in a list of her films.
I tend to agree with you. Green Fire isn't very good, but I'll watch that movie over The Swan. Mogambo might not be Red Dust, but it's a better film than either The Swan or Green Fire.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Sorry Marilyn your films are as old as the rest of them. No bluray upgrades or 4k for you!

The Disney Corporation.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
'it seems the amount of older movies getting new physical media releases gets smaller by the year. Even Warner Archive seems to be cutting back on their releases.'

The last announcement from Warner was very disappointing and right before Christmas too. Yes I'm wondering if even High Society will ever get a bluray release. I mean Sinatra, Kelly, Crosby, Armstrong? I'm beginning to think that some of my technicolor favorites will never get the bluray spruce up and I'm stuck with the dvds which are only ok. I mean no 4k announcements for even Ben Hur, WSS or The Sound of Music? Not good. I guess we were very lucky to get Singin' and Oliver!

WAC was in a low spot this year for several reasons. Some business decisions have been reversed, and according to George Feltenstein, they've been gearing back up, and it takes time. And, according to Mr. F, they will also be focusing on the upcoming Centennial celebrations for MGM and Warner Bros.

West Side Story is probably mired in whatever level of Hell MGM has been for the last umpteen years, especially given Amazon's purchase of it. And The Sound of Music is currently trapped in Disney's "we don't give a shit about our own catalog classics, let alone Fox's" purgatory.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Yes, please! And please give us all the outtakes from SOMETHING'S GOT TO GIVE with the reconstruction. From what I've seen from all the pieces released, this could have been some of her best work.
Despite all the behind-the-camera hoopla, Something's Got to Give was really shaping into a pretty good romantic comedy. Marilyn and Dean Martin had been friends for a while, and it would've been nice to see them do a movie together. Had she lived, maybe Marilyn could've found her way into some "Rat Pack" movies.

Something's Got to Give had a good script going for it, which is a feat in itself considering Arnold Schulman, Nunnally Johnson, and Walter Bernstein all took their hand at it. Cyd Charisse was a breezy and beautiful visual contrast to Marilyn, and with the supporting cast including such talents as Wally Cox, Phil Silvers, and Steve Allen laughs were guaranteed to be in the mix.

Marilyn's "pool scene" was wonderful, and it would've made her the first mainstream American actress to go nude in an A-list Hollywood film. Producer Henry Weinstein commented at how "extraordinary" Marilyn looked in the footage shot for the film, and I must agree. After her gallbladder surgery, she had dropped 20 pounds, therefore reaching the lowest weight of her adult life. Her hair seemed blonder than ever, and she had dropped her beauty mark from her face.

I'd be willing to bet that Something's Got to Give would have been a big hit, and it would have regenerated Fox from the cost overruns Cleopatra had caused. The revamped version called Move Over, Darling (1963) was a box office success, but I can't watch that movie without wondering how Something's Got to Give would've turned out.

1669742245716.png

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
2023 seems like a good year for more Marilyn films on Blu-ray and 4k UHd Blu-ray.

I’ve really enjoyed the kino release of Some Like it Hot 4k.

I hope more are in the works. I’m ready to replace my Blu-ray set.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Despite all the behind-the-camera hoopla, Something's Got to Give was really shaping into a pretty good romantic comedy. Marilyn and Dean Martin had been friends for a while, and it would've been nice to see them do a movie together. Had she lived, maybe Marilyn could've found her way into some "Rat Pack" movies.

Something's Got to Give had a good script going for it, which is a feat in itself considering Arnold Schulman, Nunnally Johnson, and Walter Bernstein all took their hand at it. Cyd Charisse was a breezy and beautiful visual contrast to Marilyn, and with the supporting cast including such talents as Wally Cox, Phil Silvers, and Steve Allen laughs were guaranteed to be in the mix.

Marilyn's "pool scene" was wonderful, and it would've made her the first mainstream American actress to go nude in an A-list Hollywood film. Producer Henry Weinstein commented at how "extraordinary" Marilyn looked in the footage shot for the film, and I must agree. After her gallbladder surgery, she had dropped 20 pounds, therefore reaching the lowest weight of her adult life. Her hair seemed blonder than ever, and she had dropped her beauty mark from her face.

I'd be willing to bet that Something's Got to Give would have been a big hit, and it would have regenerated Fox from the cost overruns Cleopatra had caused. The revamped version called Move Over, Darling (1963) was a box office success, but I can't watch that movie without wondering how Something's Got to Give would've turned out.

View attachment 164497
Well, "Move Over Darling" was "SGTG" reborn with Doris Day, Polly Bergen, and James Garner. Was "MOD" the same script as "SGTG" minus the nude swim ? I don't see why Charisse and Dean could not have worked with Doris to complete the film ? I do love "MOD" of course, I love Doris. I felt Polly Bergen was the weak link in the film and loved Thelma Ritter in the film. Who was cast in Ritter's role with Marilyn, or was she added after they changed to "MOD" ? I know the set of the exterior of the house looks the same as "SGTG". And wasn't Lee Remick to replace Marilyn at one point ? I agree though, i think "SGTG" would have been Marilyn's crowning achievement. Harkenining back to her glory days of the "Seven Year Itch" and "Some Like It Hot". A huge loss for Fox and fans of Marilyn's, she would have definitely saved Fox and dug them out of the hole with this film.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Well, "Move Over Darling" was "SGTG" reborn with Doris Day, Polly Bergen, and James Garner. Was "MOD" the same script as "SGTG" minus the nude swim ? I don't see why Charisse and Dean could not have worked with Doris to complete the film ? I do love "MOD" of course, I love Doris. I felt Polly Bergen was the weak link in the film and loved Thelma Ritter in the film. Who was cast in Ritter's role with Marilyn, or was she added after they changed to "MOD" ? I know the set of the exterior of the house looks the same as "SGTG". And wasn't Lee Remick to replace Marilyn at one point ? I agree though, i think "SGTG" would have been Marilyn's crowning achievement. Harkenining back to her glory days of the "Seven Year Itch" and "Some Like It Hot". A huge loss for Fox and fans of Marilyn's, she would have definitely saved Fox and dug them out of the hole with this film.
I'm unsure how much of the script was changed once Doris Day was brought aboard, but I'd be willing to bet that the sexiness was toned down. And, of course, Day wasn't going to do a nude swim (she later turned down the Mrs. Robinson role because it was "vulgar").

Dean Martin wasn't going to continue the film without Marilyn (he had approval of the star in his contract) and I'm sure Fox just decided to start all over to distant themselves from the earlier film.

I agree that Polly Bergen was the weakest link in the Doris Day version. Day and James Garner worked great together, but Bergen comes across too abrasive and brassy for me.

I've read in a few places that Thelma Ritter had been assigned to play Grace Arden in both versions of the story. But nothing's ever mentioned about her in documentaries for the 1962 ill-fated production.
The Monroe version mentions a character called "Mrs. Duncan", which I suppose Ritter could've played but there hadn't been any scenes shot yet.

Shirley MacLaine and Kim Novak were approached to replace Monroe, but they rebuffed. Lee Remick was instead cast, fitted for costumes, and photographed with director George Cukor. Filming halted when Dean Martin refused to continue without Monroe, and production stopped altogether when Monroe passed in August 1962.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I'm unsure how much of the script was changed once Doris Day was brought aboard, but I'd be willing to bet that the sexiness was toned down. And, of course, Day wasn't going to do a nude swim (she later turned down the Mrs. Robinson role because it was "vulgar").

Dean Martin wasn't going to continue the film without Marilyn (he had approval of the star in his contract) and I'm sure Fox just decided to start all over to distant themselves from the earlier film.

I agree that Polly Bergen was the weakest link in the Doris Day version. Day and James Garner worked great together, but Bergen comes across too abrasive and brassy for me.

I've read in a few places that Thelma Ritter had been assigned to play Grace Arden in both versions of the story. But nothing's ever mentioned about her in documentaries for the 1962 ill-fated production.
The Monroe version mentions a character called "Mrs. Duncan", which I suppose Ritter could've played but there hadn't been any scenes shot yet.

Shirley MacLaine and Kim Novak were approached to replace Monroe, but they rebuffed. Lee Remick was instead cast, fitted for costumes, and photographed with director George Cukor. Filming halted when Dean Martin refused to continue without Monroe, and production stopped altogether when Monroe passed in August 1962.
This, is great insight into both versions of the film. One, thing in "SGTG" both the children were girls and in "MOD" if was a boy and a girl.
Do you think the car wash scene in "MOD" was substituted for the nude swim in "SGTG". I can't see Marilyn doing the car wash scene. As, I was in grade school when I saw "MOD", was it known that this was the do over of "SGTG" ? I wonder who's idea it was to make "SGTG" into "MOD" ??

Kim, Shirley or Lee would have been great in the Monroe role. However, I think Marilyn would have been the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks