What's new

FOX MAY BE ON ENDANGERED SPECIES LIST, BLU-RAY WISE (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Regarding classic Fox titles, it pains me that I'll probably never be able to get a DVD, let alone a BD, of Henry King's 1953 film King of the Khyber Rifles, with Tyrone Power, Michael Rennie, and Terry Moore. It's one of their earliest CinemaScope productions. I have an SVHS recording on tape (from Turner Classic Movies, most likely), but it's pan & scan.

It's not a great movie, but I'm a big fan of the works of Talbot Mundy, who wrote the novel it's based on. So I wants it.
I have a legitimate DVD of the film that was released in Spain in 2010. It's in wide screen but alas, not anamorphic but if zoomed in gives an approximation of the CinemaScope experience. Amazon still has a copy left.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
...I thought the idea of buying a company was to eventually make more money than you shelled out for it.

It's so bizarre I can't wrap my mind around it. It's great that they're preserving the films they own but what good does that do if they're just going to sit in a vault?

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Time Disney was told that not everyone is interested in their Star Wars and Marvel films- many of which are rubbish in my opinion. Money makers- yes but classics -no. In fact I cannot think of any or their Star Wars and Marvel films that I would regarded as being a classic. Many or the Fox films are. In fact a massive amount are. They will be still remembered long after Star Wars and Marvel have been long forgotten.
You can't tell Disney anything, they are to damn WOKE!!!

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
The first thing that clued me into this being a bootleg, was the statement "it brands both RKO and Disney in packaging and the disc". RKO Radio Pictures was the distributor of record for all of Disney's films and shorts up to the beginning of 1954 (at which point Disney created Buena Vista Distribution to distribute their films). And every home video version (that I've seen) of any Disney films distributed by RKO have the original RKO card at the beginning. But no RKO branding was ever put on any packaging.

Regarding classic Fox titles, it pains me that I'll probably never be able to get a DVD, let alone a BD, of Henry King's 1953 film King of the Khyber Rifles, with Tyrone Power, Michael Rennie, and Terry Moore. It's one of their earliest CinemaScope productions. I have an SVHS recording on tape (from Turner Classic Movies, most likely), but it's pan & scan.

It's not a great movie, but I'm a big fan of the works of Talbot Mundy, who wrote the novel it's based on. So I wants it.
It has an excellent score by Bernard Herrmann.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Regardless of what people knew or didn't know in the case of Tarantino's film, it was quite successful. Makes me wonder what people brought to the table when they were watching Inglorious Basterds.
[…]
An awareness of where Nantucket is located.

Last edited:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I have no interest in this release but I am intrigued by Disney's continued dive into their vaults to bring out back catalog titles for non-DMC retail releases on physical. They seem to be focusing on animation primarily but who's to say that won't change? There's not a whole lot I need from Disney themselves but there's quite a bit I'd love to have on 4K from Fox.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I ran into this interesting website (https://www.hollywoodclassics.com). They seem to have the rights to a good many classic titles overseas. Funny though, two of their BD releases which I have, the Milestone '52 Les Miserables and Henry Koster's The Virgin Queen, aren't listed on the website. I guess I'm just hoping that a couple beloved Fox titles like Story of Ruth, Esther and the King and Snows of Kilimanjaro might pop up over at Amazon.fr someday. As for Disney, what ever happened to The Big Fisherman?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I'm very happy to have three Fox films on DVD and/or blu ray that never got domestic releases here in the U.S. and I'm now positive never will. Tender Is The Night (1962) on blu ray from France, Sons And Lovers (1960) from Australia on DVD and Esther And The King (1960) from Germany on DVD. All in very nice anamorphic transfers! All to the best of my knowledge are out of print.
Sons and Lovers was releasedc on FOX VAULT Collection several years ago. I have a copy.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Quite an extensive list, but I don't see how one is able to purchase anything listed. Am I missing something?
They’re not retailers. They represent some of the studios and licence titles to video labels. Lots of U.K. disc releases show the Hollywood Classics logo alongside the film studio logo.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Quite an extensive list, but I don't see how one is able to purchase anything listed. Am I missing something?
Yes, some titles do show up at Amazon.fr and others, I suppose, are still in the works. Not all are Fox but I do own blu-ray Hollywood Classics Fox titles never released in this country. Often a company like Rimini Editions produce the actual discs.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
It bothers me that if you do a search for titles on torrent site you will find a lot of classic Fox Cinemascope titles popping up, titles that aren't on disc. The Story of Ruth was one of them I downloaded. Pretty good picture quality too. But hate getting something for nothing so haven't pursued others. Esther isn't there though. The Tender Is the Night Blu Ray I bought in France is simply gorgeous. As is From The Terrace.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Does the French From the Terrace have

1. the same 4 k scan derived transfer like twilight time ?

2. forced French subtitles ?

thank you

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You can't tell Disney anything, they are to damn WOKE!!!

Personally, I think that, in so far as home video releases of classic movies is concerned. Disney is not woke. It is fast asleep. Guess I can kiss any chance of seeing a decent transfer of VON RYAN'S EXPRESS goodbye.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Does the French From the Terrace have

1. the same 4 k scan derived transfer like twilight time ?

2. forced French subtitles ?

thank you
Can't find it for the moment so cant tell you which scan it is, if indeed that's on the box, but there are no forced subtitles, that I'm certain of.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
here you go, just the tip of the amazing iceburg of movie scores -

I kinda meant, in reply to a poster, "Does Herrmann ever compose any other kind of score besides excellent ones?" I have collected all of them on CD, and listen to them frequently. He did a lot of scores for 20th Century-Fox, too, and the films for which they were written may all become hard as hell to find now. Best ones: THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, JANE EYRE, ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM, DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, THE EGYPTIAN (with Alfred Newman), JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO, HANGOVER SQUARE, and others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks