What's new

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
Disney took out a 41billion loan for Fox and with interest on that appreciating everyday how long before they can they make back that considerably more than 71 billion payout and then make the tremendous profit on that they had hoped for. If this had been such a great idea they would have not replaced Iger with the slash and burn Chapek so quickly and left Iger in a state of shock. Not that the man isn't choking on money.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Most (maybe all) huge companies seem to operate under massive debt these days, in fact with countries, businesses & individuals, debt is the name of the game, but even so, over $40 billion is pushing it a bit (what's the next thing, trillions?). I do think it's odd buying a huge film studio now, just as odd as buying a huge record company. I thought the idea of buying a company was to eventually make more money than you shelled out for it.

ptb2017fr

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul Bale
Yes I always got a thrill in the 1950s and 1960s seeing the Twentieth Century Fox CinemaScope logo - far more than any other studio logo. I knew it signalled high quality entertainment.
I managed to find an HD quality copy of the Twentieth Century Fox Cinemascope ident on line and have it on my Blu Ray recorder/player so I can play it every now and again and cheer myself up!

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
The European The Gang's All Here is noticeably better than the Twlight Time. How is that possible?

Even somebody mentioned Demetrious being much better in its Spanish release. What's going on?

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
No I'm genuinely curious as to why European blurays can be better for some American films which are disappointments when released by American companies..

cinemel1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Lucky you to have seen cinemascope at the Roxy. Was the screen curved? Did you also see windjammer? that must have been spectacular.
I don’t remember the screen being curved for CinemeScope or CS55 but I did see Windjammer there and the screen was definitely curved and there was no stage show.
I think the regular CinemaScope films were shown on a flat screen at the Roxy because they always had an ice show with the Roxyettes on stage. I don’t think a curved screen would have been practicle with a stage show going on between film presentations.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
I think the regular CinemaScope films were shown on a flat screen at the Roxy because they always had an ice show with the Roxyettes on stage. I don’t think a curved screen would have been practicle with a stage show going on between film presentations.
I always figured it would be impractical but I thought I saw ads which were illustrations of CinemaSope or CS55 being presented on a curved screen at the Roxy. And then of course the illustration would include a packed orchestra of people watching this marvel.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
The Robe at the Roxy ad. The actual screen. Maybe very slightly curved so it could be brought up into the flies without too much trouble? Though the Robe had no stage show. Carousel with stage show ad.

Attachments

• roxy the robe.gif
    roxy the robe.gif
    194.3 KB · Views: 188
  • roxy cinemascope.png
    roxy cinemascope.png
    161.6 KB · Views: 22
  • carousel roxy.gif
    carousel roxy.gif
    173.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

cinemel1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mel Matsil
The Robe at the Roxy ad. The actual screen
From the photo of the CS screen above, it looks like the screen had a slight curve. The illustration in the other graphic is to make CinemaScope look just like Cinerama without the join lines in that process. Even Cinerama didn’t have a deep curve as shown.

Capt Cheese Pro

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The Robe at the Roxy ad. The actual screen. Maybe very slightly curved so it could be brought up into the flies without too much trouble? Though the Robe had no stage show. Carousel with stage show ad.
The Robe was the first Cinema-scope film ever produced!! Got that off of the BRD bonus features

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I've been waiting patiently for Planet of the Apes (1968) in 4K. I thought it would have been a no brainer on its 50th in 2018. I'm starting to lose hope now.
Not to mention the Fox TV output. So many classic shows, many sliding out of print on flipper discs, will not be seeing a blu ray release. I was really hoping for a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Land of the Giants HD release, especially since the prints are already restored.

Worse, I'm sure we'll never see The Green Hornet TV series on Blu Ray. Disney won't give a fig about untangling those rights whereas Fox might have wanted to work it out.

I have been rebuilding my DVD collection after a fire a year ago, but Land of the Giants remains expensive on the secondary market and the odd Voyage half season release is impossible to find brand new for a decent price (yet some are still cheap on Amazon).

F'n Disney.

Edwin-S

Premium
Time Disney was told that not everyone is interested in their Star Wars and Marvel films- many of which are rubbish in my opinion. Money makers- yes but classics -no. In fact I cannot think of any or their Star Wars and Marvel films that I would regarded as being a classic. Many or the Fox films are. In fact a massive amount are. They will be still remembered long after Star Wars and Marvel have been long forgotten.
What you consider rubbish has no bearing on whether a film is a "classic". STAR WARS has been around for 44 years and the film(s) are widely remembered. They have not "faded" in the slightest. You may hate them but they are still classic films.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I always figured it would be impractical but I thought I saw ads which were illustrations of CinemaSope or CS55 being presented on a curved screen at the Roxy. And then of course the illustration would include a packed orchestra of people watching this marvel.
The same curved cinemascope screen ads were probably used in ever country .It least it was in my country. In the fifties most cinemascope screens had a slight curve. Such a pity that no film was ever released in Cinemascope55.

Mark Mayes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Disney won't just sit on this stuff, but eventually will discover some way to make it pay. They always do. When they do, yes, pray they fix some issues....I mean did Deborah Kerr really wear russ-colored lipstick in The King & I? And a blue chignon?

The problem is, as I glean here, they have no strategy and are frozen with uncertainty. Guess I'll never get those Lilian Harvey Fox Films even on dvd...

BUT I will.
And that is the future that they have to reckon with as a result of streaming accessibility. People will get what they want away from the studios even if it's not in a very pristine form. So they will eventually do themselves a favor if they'll just go ahead and release titles to companies like Kino Lorber-- If that company is interested.

Amazon Spain, for example, released Song of the South on blu in August. It is a better print than my Japanese laser disc and I can stop looking to collect decently sourced material of this title now. Happy to pay the extravagant price and shipping. But, although I appreciate their precarious position on this particular title, there have to be better solutions than letting your mastery be appropriated prematurely as will come with public domain.

Disney thinks as a company; better they should act as one and drain all the money they can.
I wasn't born in the "Golden Age," but love it. I was an anomaly to my generation, because I was interested.
Nothing has changed. Some young people will seek the classics out...but most look at film as a past time, here one moment and forgotten the next.
And actually, availability is no longer an excuse for unfamiliarity. You can find the greats online (which doesn't appeal so much to those who know the quality of hard disc and the snatching away of choices by the studios.)

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There's a French legit version. Unfortunately it may only have mono sound (according to the back cover) which makes it worthless as far as I'm concerned. Beware the usual suspect Spanish version!

Amazon product

I decided to buy the French "Demetrius and the Gladiators" and am glad I did. Picture quality is very good although I never had the Twilight Time so don't know how it compares. English soundtrack is in stereo with no forced French sub-titles. The original back cover which I mentioned above has been changed to show it's stereo (French track is mono). Both French and English versions are sourced from the French film print which has French text in the Main Titles (e.g. "Les Gladiateurs", "Mise en scene de Delmer Daves" etc) including post-synchronisation credits after the director credit. It has numerous French language featurettes plus the original English language theatrical trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bathonnelli
Recent bookmarks