What's new

FOX MAY BE ON ENDANGERED SPECIES LIST, BLU-RAY WISE (1 Viewer)

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Do you mind looking at the twilight time caps on that other site and see how the French version compares?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Amazon.de have Journey To The Centre Of The Earth & Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines, both released by Fox, multi-region & really cheap.

And Amazon.fr has both the James Coburn Flint films for 22.54 euro for the both of them, but I think they're region B

You bet, although I do have twilight times journey to the center of the earth in Blu-ray, The magnificent man and they’re flying machines is definitely on my hit list, and every time I hear that title I hear the theme song, LOL!!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I have the Japanese Magnificent Men which was at a ridiculous price on Twilight time on Amazon. It looks excellent.Thinking of getting the Spanish Demetrius which someone here said was much better than the Twilight time. Have never seen it but a friend told me it's much better than The Robe. And Susan Hayward manages to find God and virtue which is reason enough to see a movie.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
You bet, although I do have twilight times journey to the center of the earth in Blu-ray, The magnificent man and they’re flying machines is definitely on my hit list, and every time I hear that title I hear the theme song, LOL!!
I went to the german amazon, the euro is pretty close to the us$, 21.51euro is $25.51us...not bad if the edition is a true remastered version? Anyone have this german edition of Those MMOTFM?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Disney won't just sit on this stuff, but eventually will discover some way to make it pay. They always do. When they do, yes, pray they fix some issues....I mean did Deborah Kerr really wear russ-colored lipstick in The King & I? And a blue chignon?

The problem is, as I glean here, they have no strategy and are frozen with uncertainty. Guess I'll never get those Lilian Harvey Fox Films even on dvd...

BUT I will.
And that is the future that they have to reckon with as a result of streaming accessibility. People will get what they want away from the studios even if it's not in a very pristine form. So they will eventually do themselves a favor if they'll just go ahead and release titles to companies like Kino Lorber-- If that company is interested.

Amazon Spain, for example, released Song of the South on blu in August. It is a better print than my Japanese laser disc and I can stop looking to collect decently sourced material of this title now. Happy to pay the extravagant price and shipping. But, although I appreciate their precarious position on this particular title, there have to be better solutions than letting your mastery be appropriated prematurely as will come with public domain.

Disney thinks as a company; better they should act as one and drain all the money they can.
I wasn't born in the "Golden Age," but love it. I was an anomaly to my generation, because I was interested.
Nothing has changed. Some young people will seek the classics out...but most look at film as a past time, here one moment and forgotten the next.
And actually, availability is no longer an excuse for unfamiliarity. You can find the greats online (which doesn't appeal so much to those who know the quality of hard disc and the snatching away of choices by the studios.)
About Song of the South, I bought a very decent BRD from Japan. It brands both RKO and Disney in packaging and the disc. So these were done, maybe not with thier blessings, but definatly with thier knowledge od the edition.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
About Song of the South, I bought a very decent BRD from Japan. It brands both RKO and Disney in packaging and the disc. So these were done, maybe not with thier blessings, but definatly with thier knowledge od the edition.
Why would Disney definitely know about that bootleg? Anyone can put any logo that they want on a disc when they're making a bootleg. I have Star Wars bootlegs with the 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm logos on them and they definitely are not authorized. Fox and LFL just never bothered to stop them because they know they can't get rid of them all.

billO'

Stunt Coordinator
Why would Disney definitely know about that bootleg? Anyone can put any logo that they want on a disc when they're making a bootleg. I have Star Wars bootlegs with the 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm logos on them and they definitely are not authorized. Fox and LFL just never bothered to stop them because they know they can't get rid of them all.
From doing some research recently on getting a good quality copy of SOTS, i read a few articles that mentioned Japanese releases of that film (both the new BD and the previous Laserdisc) are not bootlegs because supposedly Disney no longer controls rights for it in Japan, at least for home video. But I'm sure there are bootlegs being sold of those releases, so i guess it's all in the trustworthiness of whomever is doing the selling in other countries.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
SOTS is a very popular title in Japan. The Splash Mountain ride in Disney parks due the intolerant racism of the film are being turned into Tiana rides. They've gotten rid of any merchandise that involves anything that has to do with the film and Zip a Dee Doo Dah one of the two or three most iconic Disney songs has been banned from all shows and playlists.

When Disney told Tokyo Disneyland they needed to make these changes the Japanese told Bob Iger to get lost. The ride was staying. I wonder how good their bluray is because if Disney still has the OCN I bet it looks glorious but it won't ever be seen again. Of course Iger might have already had it destroyed.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
SOTS is a very popular title in Japan. The Splash Mountain ride in Disney parks due the intolerant racism of the film are being turned into Tiana rides. They've gotten rid of any merchandise that involves anything that has to do with the film and Zip a Dee Doo Dah one of the two or three most iconic Disney songs has been banned from all shows and playlists.

When Disney told Tokyo Disneyland they needed to make these changes the Japanese told Bob Iger to get lost. The ride was staying. I wonder how good their bluray is because if Disney still has the OCN I bet it looks glorious but it won't ever be seen again. Of course Iger might have already had it destroyed.
I was just happy to find a BLD of what was to me a LOST film!! they did a great job!!! Bootleg, ok...but I put that on Disney, and thier PC reluctence to release an amazing film. One of the eariest interactions between live and anamated elements for that studio. In the end it's about serving your audience, not worring about future fallout. They Released Dumbo, and retained the crow senes and the song "I've seen Everything...Elephant fly"number...come on guys, grow a pair!!!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
From doing some research recently on getting a good quality copy of SOTS, i read a few articles that mentioned Japanese releases of that film (both the new BD and the previous Laserdisc) are not bootlegs because supposedly Disney no longer controls rights for it in Japan, at least for home video. But I'm sure there are bootlegs being sold of those releases, so i guess it's all in the trustworthiness of whomever is doing the selling in other countries.
I'm not trying to be argumentative and I could be wrong but I think if Song Of The South had a legitimate release anywhere in the world, it would have been the biggest news in home video in yearS. A release of it would be such big and controversial news that the mainstream media would have covered it just so they could have "RACIST DISNEY RELEASED ON BLU-RAY!" headlines. And even if the media did miss it, there's no way that it would just slip out in Japan and the whole home theater world not notice and buy it. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again but I feel very safe in saying that any disc release of SOTS (even if the presentation is great) is a bootleg.

As for Disney not having the rights to SOTS in Japan, I find that very unlikely because why would that one movie slip by while they maintained the rights to all the rest of their movies everywhere else? While they have no interest in releasing it, that doesn't mean that they don't care if someone else does. Disney does not want that movie released anywhere because it would be bad publicity for them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You are very correct, Travis. There are no legally available, studio sanctioned copies of Song of that South available on DVD or Blu-ray anywhere in the world, period, full stop. They are all bootlegs. We might wish that were not the case, but it is.

The last official home video release of Song of the South was on VHS and laserdisc in certain international territories, decades ago.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There was an article not too long ago with the preservation team at Disney describing the great lengths they go to in preserving their assets, even when they don’t have a clear release plan. The physical elements for Song of the South are well cared for by dedicated professionals who understand and respect the history and craft of the studio. Even when Disney releases discs and digital versions of classic titles given a more modern look or make tweaks to the content, the original versions remain safely preserved within their vaults. This is what we should want all such companies to do when they have something they don’t feel comfortable releasing it - taking proper care of it so that a choice not to release it today doesn’t preclude making a different choice later on.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

The first thing that clued me into this being a bootleg, was the statement "it brands both RKO and Disney in packaging and the disc". RKO Radio Pictures was the distributor of record for all of Disney's films and shorts up to the beginning of 1954 (at which point Disney created Buena Vista Distribution to distribute their films). And every home video version (that I've seen) of any Disney films distributed by RKO have the original RKO card at the beginning. But no RKO branding was ever put on any packaging.

Regarding classic Fox titles, it pains me that I'll probably never be able to get a DVD, let alone a BD, of Henry King's 1953 film King of the Khyber Rifles, with Tyrone Power, Michael Rennie, and Terry Moore. It's one of their earliest CinemaScope productions. I have an SVHS recording on tape (from Turner Classic Movies, most likely), but it's pan & scan.

It's not a great movie, but I'm a big fan of the works of Talbot Mundy, who wrote the novel it's based on. So I wants it.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I was just happy to find a BLD of what was to me a LOST film!! they did a great job!!! Bootleg, ok...but I put that on Disney, and thier PC reluctence to release an amazing film. One of the eariest interactions between live and anamated elements for that studio. In the end it's about serving your audience, not worring about future fallout. They Released Dumbo, and retained the crow senes and the song "I've seen Everything...Elephant fly"number...come on guys, grow a pair!!!
I've seen at least one hi def fan scan on the internet. If it looks in any way legitimate, my guess is that a company in a country that doesn't have the same Disney/WB lengthened copyright laws took that and ran with it. It certainly wasn't done with Disney's cooperation.

I saw it in a small-town theater at a very, very young age (probably my first movie) during what was probably its last rerelease. There's a weird time where that movie was in sort of a gray area in the 80s and even into the early 90s for Disney where they wouldn't release it on home video and publicly seemed to distance themselves from it, but songs (Zip-a-Dee-Do-Da at least) appeared in clip tapes from the company and they still had it in their repertoire for things like Disney Records' book and record/tape sets for the kid set. The animated characters still showed up here and there, and even the tar baby had a cameo in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. And, of course, Splash Mountain managed to last clear until the very recent past. Instead of having their cake and eating it, too, it was more of a hiding-their-cake-but finding-crumbs-scattered-around situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks