What's new

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Disney is hurting now. Streaming is not profiting as well as they hoped and their customers at their theme parks a sure source of major income are being soaked for every nickel and dime. Services noticeably are being cut back and costs for attending are rising appreciably.
Yeah I just checked on Google, & with long term & short term debt & moving stuff around, Disney's net debt is around $41.31 billion! I have some of my favourite Fox films on Blu-ray (like The Egyptian & Journey To The Centre Of The Earth & a few others), their 3-strip Technicolor dupes look awful to me, so those are lost films as far as I'm concerned, & I wasn't too keen on the Fox blue/cyan house look on a lot of their Blu-ray releases. Overall I'm glad that Disney bought Fox & not Sony or Warner or Paramount or MGM.

DarkVader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
Thankfully Criterion got the opportunity to release both "Valley of the Dolls" and "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" before "The Mouse" swallowed "The Fox"....

One Fox title that has eluded home media and briefly got a release on MOD-DVD via their now-defunct Fox Cinema Archives label was the 1964 guilty pleasure, "The Pleasure Seekers" starring Ann-Margret, Carol Lynley and Pamela Tiffin - it was shot in CinemaScope but this particular release was botched...non-anamorphic widescreen with the picture reduced to a postage stamp surrounded by a sea of black....not a good look on my UHD set...not holding my breath for a proper release of this particular title....

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
One Fox title that has eluded home media and briefly got a release on MOD-DVD via their now-defunct Fox Cinema Archives label was the 1964 guilty pleasure, "The Pleasure Seekers" starring Ann-Margret, Carol Lynley and Pamela Tiffin - it was shot in CinemaScope but this particular release was botched...non-anamorphic widescreen with the picture reduced to a postage stamp surrounded by a sea of black....not a good look on my UHD set...not holding my breath for a proper release of this particular title....
An anamorphic transfer of The Pleasure Seekers was released in Spain with a nice picture. And yes, it is a legitimate release as the film was licensed from (then) Fox. Again, I believe it is now out of print.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Signal One in the U.K. has just released Let’s Make Love and Halls of Montezuma on Blu-ray, so licensing Fox titles is still possible.

Believe those titles were licensed from Fox before the merger. Signal One had to cancel quite a few titles they licensed from Fox and Nightmare Alley, which they are said to still have, has seen its release date pushed back again and again.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
There's a French legit version. Unfortunately it may only have mono sound (according to the back cover) which makes it worthless as far as I'm concerned. Beware the usual suspect Spanish version!

Amazon product

Thank you. Wonder how the picture quality is as I can’t find any comparisons or reviews. And I’m wary of forced French subs as has often been the case with French Blu rays

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Not those two as yet but I have several Signal One Fox discs; e.g. Compulsion, Man Hunt, Boston Strangler and they all look very good to me, often containing substantial extras.
Yes, those have all been released on both sides of the pond so I assume they're from new masters. I agree about the picture quality. It's the titles released only in Europe that are questionable. I hope these new ones are from good transfers. We're still waiting for Lisa/The Inspector starring Stephen Boyd and Dolores Hart. That's been promised for about two years now! I don't expect the disc to be anything special.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm very happy to have three Fox films on DVD and/or blu ray that never got domestic releases here in the U.S. and I'm now positive never will. Tender Is The Night (1962) on blu ray from France, Sons And Lovers (1960) from Australia on DVD and Esther And The King (1960) from Germany on DVD. All in very nice anamorphic transfers! All to the best of my knowledge are out of print.
Thanks for reminding me about Tender Is The Night which is a very good disc. I'd forgotten about that one which is strange because I re-watched it not so very long ago. On the other hand the French disc of The Black Rose is pretty bad.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Yes, those have all been released on both sides of the pond so I assume they're from new masters. I agree about the picture quality. It's the titles released only in Europe that are questionable. I hope these new ones are from good transfers. We're still waiting for Lisa/The Inspector starring Stephen Boyd and Dolores Hart. That's been promised for about two years now! I don't expect the disc to be anything special.
Beggars can't be choosers with some of these movies never released on Blu-ray here in the States. My time on this earth is limited so I can't wait forever to see better results from newer scans nor can I take my monies with me when I leave this earth for good.:)

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
That was in the old days. I've heard through the grapevine that more than one company already approached Disney about the Fox library and were given the big brush-off. Criterion may still be able to pick off an occasional title, but it will inevitably be an "AFI title" that's already available elsewhere.
At this point my only hope is that they're available in HD to purchase no matter the format. I can't imagine Disney buying this library just to sit on it.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Bob Iger spent 71 billion to buy Fox. Outside of his own commission for brokering the deal(talk is he wants to run for president) what was the point of spending that much money when they already owned Star Wars?
They wanted control of the Marvel Characters they didn’t have control of.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Why not? Sony is sitting on the Columbia library--and they already own it!

Sony has licensed out numerous Columbia titles to labels like Mill Creek and Indicator, not to mention Criterion. Also, Kino recently announced a deal with Sony, which surely will include some Columbia titles. What films are you talking about that Sony is sitting on from Columbia? Are they titles that likely would be tough sells or need a lot of restoration work?

Now that I think about it, Sony even with their MOD line have released some Columbia stuff from the 30s and 40s.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Sony has licensed out numerous Columbia titles to labels like Mill Creek and Indicator, not to mention Criterion. Also, Kino recently announced a deal with Sony, which surely will include some Columbia titles. What films are you talking about that Sony is sitting on from Columbia? Are they titles that likely would be tough sells or need a lot of restoration work?

Now that I think about it, Sony even with their MOD line have released some Columbia stuff from the 30s and 40s.

About 95% of the titles licensed to Mill Creek were previously released, and are simply repackaged without extras at a bargain price for Walmart shoppers, while Indicator's discs are likewise reissues and Region B to boot. I don't know what titles KL has acquired, but again, I'll be shocked if more than a handful are "new." As I've often said here, they (meaning Sony) hate "that old shit" and literally killed their catalog division when I proved to them that the stuff does sell.

ptb2017fr

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul Bale
Why has Disney done this? Bad enough the Fox name disappearing, but also insisting on cutting down on moving so much to streaming. If you don't have a good internet connection you are stuffed, as I am. Sometimes I can wait 20 minutes to get connected, then it freezes! Downloads take hours. Impossible to enjoy anything like that! So selfish of this once great company that seems intent on taking over Hollywood and its history.

ptb2017fr

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul Bale
I’m a senior who grew up loving that beautiful 20th Century Fox logo and the stars and films it represented. As most collectors know, the whole Fox catalogue was acquired in recent years by Disney.
And that company’s attitude toward releasing physical media (beyond high profile franchises) seems to be save it for possible streaming or bury it in the vaults. Not good news for those of us who love Golden Age Fox films.
Here’s a chronological rundown of my 50 favorite vintage (pre-60’s) Fox titles. I’ve asterisked the ones I own on Blu-ray; most of these are still available for purchase online. The rest are either out of print or have not appeared in the format. Sadly, now, they perhaps never will.

THE BIG TRAIL(1930) John Wayne *
MUSIC IS MAGIC(1935) Alice Faye
RAMONA(1936) Loretta Young
LITTLE MISS BROADWAY(1938) Shirley Temple
THANK YOU, MR. MOTO(1938) Peter Lorre
THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES(1939) Basil Rathbone *
SECOND FIDDLE(1939) Sonja Henie, Tyrone Power
THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL(1939) Don Ameche, Loretta Young
CHARLIE CHAN IN PANAMA(1940) Sidney Toler
THE MARK OF ZORRO(1940) Tyrone Power *
TIN PAN ALLEY(1940) Alice Faye, Betty Grable
BLOOD AND SAND(1941) Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell
SUN VALLEY SERENADE(1941) Sonja Henie
WESTERN UNION(1941) Randolph Scott *
ICELAND(1942) Sonja Henie
THE SONG OF BERNADETTE(1943) Jennifer Jones *
STORMY WEATHER(1943) Lena Horne, Bill Robinson *
WINTERTIME(1943) Sonja Henie
JANE EYRE(1944) Joan Fontaine, Orson Welles *
HANGOVER SQUARE(1945) Laird Cregar, Linda Darnell *
LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN(1945) Gene Tierney *
A WALK IN THE SUN(1945) Dana Andrews (Kit Parker Films is bringing this one out in January, 2022)
CENTENNIAL SUMMER(1946) Jeanne Crain, Linda Darnell
DRAGONWYCK(1946) Gene Tierney, Vincent Price *
THE RAZOR’S EDGE(1946) Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney *
THREE LITTLE GIRLS IN BLUE(1946) June Haver
CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE(1947) Tyrone Power *
I WONDER WHO’S KISSING HER NOW(1947) June Haver
KISS OF DEATH(1947) Victor Mature *
CRY OF THE CITY(1948) Victor Mature *
FURY AT FURNACE CREEK(1948) Victor Mature
CANADIAN PACIFIC(1949) Randolph Scott *
A LETTER TO THREE WIVES(1949) Jeanne Crain, Linda Darnell *
PINKY(1949) Jeanne Crain
PRINCE OF FOXES(1949) Tyrone Power *
NO WAY OUT(1950) Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier *
PANIC IN THE STREETS(1950) Richard Widmark *
DON’T BOTHER TO KNOCK(1952) Marilyn Monroe, Richard Widmark *
WAY OF A GAUCHO(1952) Rory Calhoun, Gene Tierney
THE FARMER TAKES A WIFE(1953) Betty Grable, Dale Robertson
GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES(1953) Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell *
NIAGARA(1953) Marilyn Monroe *
POWDER RIVER(1953) Rory Calhoun
TITANIC(1953) Clifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyck *
THE ADVENTURES OF HAJJI BABA(1954) John Derek *
THE EGYPTIAN(1954) Edmund Purdom, Jean Simmons
RIVER OF NO RETURN(1954) Marilyn Monroe, Robert Mitchum *
THERE’S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS(1954) Ethel Merman, Marilyn Monroe *
BOY ON A DOLPHIN(1957) Alan Ladd, Sophia Loren *
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH(1959) James Mason, Pat Boone *

I imagine others have different Fox favorites they’d love to see on Blu-ray.
Current marketing trends may not favor physical media but hope springs eternal.
After all, salmon continue to swim upstream to their spawning grounds every year.
And most either make it or die trying.
I'd travel all over London growing up going to see every single Twentieth Century Fox Cinemascope movie just for the logo and that wonderful fanfare! Been trying to collect every title filmed with that logo the past few years and its proved really hard. I'm up to around 101, though some have come off of HD tv broadcasts, leaving me around another 120 or so titles to go! Best transfers have to be The Comancheros on R1 and Tender is the Night the French release which looks simply gorgeous!

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I'd travel all over London growing up going to see every single Twentieth Century Fox Cinemascope movie just for the logo and that wonderful fanfare! Been trying to collect every title filmed with that logo the past few years and its proved really hard.
I know what you mean.

When the Kennedy Center Concert Hall presented THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK "LIVE", the capacity audience went nuts and cheered when the Fox fanfare with CinemaScope extension was played by the National Symphony Orchestra. And the movie hadn't even begun yet!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'd travel all over London growing up going to see every single Twentieth Century Fox Cinemascope movie just for the logo and that wonderful fanfare! Been trying to collect every title filmed with that logo the past few years and its proved really hard. I'm up to around 101, though some have come off of HD tv broadcasts, leaving me around another 120 or so titles to go! Best transfers have to be The Comancheros on R1 and Tender is the Night the French release which looks simply gorgeous!
Yes I always got a thrill in the 1950s and 1960s seeing the Twentieth Century Fox CinemaScope logo - far more than any other studio logo. I knew it signalled high quality entertainment.

cinemel1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Yes I always got a thrill in the 1950s and 1960s seeing the Twentieth Century Fox CinemaScope logo - far more than any other studio logo. I knew it signalled high quality entertainment.
I especially liked the Carousel logo which said a CinemaScope picture introducing CinemaScope 55, and the King and I which said a CinemaScope picture in CinemaScope55. I saw both films at the Roxy Theater in Manhattan and the image on the giant screen was almost 3D, especially the early scene (bench scene) in Carousel where the camera pulls back over the water with MacRae & Jones in the background, classic images.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
Lucky you to have seen cinemascope at the Roxy. Was the screen curved? Did you also see windjammer? that must have been spectacular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bathonnelli
Recent bookmarks