What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release BVHE Press Release: The Abyss, True Lies, Aliens, Titanic, Avatar and Avatar: The Way of the Water (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
That, unfortunately, is correct, even if you redeemed thru Movies Anywhere. You can contact Walt Disney Home Entertainment Customer Service to register a complaint. The Abyss has the same issue.

Hmm I actually redeemed through VUDU because I thought from info here that they gave your both cuts on Aliens and The Abyss in 4K

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Still haven't gotten any word from DMC about when these will ship. Maybe they'll ship everything in one package (when the two MCU titles come out) despite what they said in the order acknowledgement email.
It's probably due to the large influx of orders they've gotten since they announced the club was closing, all being fulfilled by the same amount of staff (or less).

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Hmm I actually redeemed through VUDU because I thought from info here that they gave your both cuts on Aliens and The Abyss in 4K

In an ideal world, redeeming the code for these movies would give us two listings at Movies Anywhere and all connected retailers -- one for the theatrical cut and one for the special edition. That way you can go straight to the version of the movie you prefer.

While you can purchase either the theatrical or special edition at Vudu, they only provide the option to redeem the digital code on the theatrical cut.

That being said, either version includes the other as a special feature at both Vudu and Movies Anywhere.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That being said, either version includes the other as a special feature at both Vudu and Movies Anywhere.
Last time I checked, Vudu included the SE cuts in 4K as special features while MA only offered them as special features in HD. On Vudu, Aliens SE has Dolby Atmos while The Abyss SE is only 5.1. However, Aliens SE will not play at all on the Vudu app for Apple TV.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Update on The Abyss on Vudu/Fandango at Home (FAH):

The special edition cut under Special Features of the theatrical cut is now Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos!!

Unfortunately, the special edition cut of Aliens under Special Features of the theatrical cut is still spitting out a Movie Unavailable Streaming Error (Error Code 2101) in the Vudu/FAH app for Apple TV devices if set for UHD playback.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Finally have received all 3 films. Unfortunately, I’m in Florida for the winter and won’t be able to watch them till the end of April. I’m most looking forward to the extended version of The Abyss. I haven’t seen it since the laserdisc (or was it the DVD?) They showed it on some cable channel (theatrical version) a couple of weeks ago.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The 4K versions of Aliens, The Abyss and True Lies are all on sale for $9.99 on iTunes. All are Movies Anywhere titles.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I just bought Abyss on iTunes...looking at the MA app on my iPad, it's 4k, DV and Atmos. The Theatrical Version is included as an extra; going to the Apple TV, the tag says it's HD.
Are there two entries in your MA library for The Abyss, one for theatrical and another for SE? Some were saying that Apple had mapped to both versions on MA.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Are there two entries in your MA library for The Abyss, one for theatrical and another for SE? Some were saying that Apple had mapped to both versions on MA.
No, not for me. The main entry is the SE and then the Theatrical is linked inside it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
No, not for me. The main entry is the SE and then the Theatrical is linked inside it.
I think what may have happened is that if it was purchased on Apple TV that first week (when the main feature was still the theatrical) it was mapped to the theatrical on MA, and then when Apple switched the main feature to the SE, it was re-mapped to the SE. Since it was purchased at Apple, MA sees that both versions were "purchased" at Apple, so they now have both versions on MA. Similar thing happened to me with His Girl Friday on Vudu/FAH, where Vudu had the 4K Sony digital mis-mapped to a public domain HD version on their service. When the mapping was corrected, anyone who had redeemed their code on MA prior to the fix now has both versions in their Vudu/FAH library.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I finally have all three titles now, as The Abyss finally arrived. There were ordered on March 3rd too. The other two arrived March 27th and 28th.
IMG_3211.jpeg

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Update on The Abyss on Vudu/Fandango at Home (FAH):

The special edition cut under Special Features of the theatrical cut is now Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos!!

Unfortunately, the special edition cut of Aliens under Special Features of the theatrical cut is still spitting out a Movie Unavailable Streaming Error (Error Code 2101) in the Vudu/FAH app for Apple TV devices if set for UHD playback.
This is straight from a contact I have with FAH upper management (that I really don't like to use unless necessary):

For the Aliens Special Edition, there is an on going issue with the encode for Apple TV and we are aware of this and working with our engineering team so that the encode we use can play properly on that platform.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This is straight from a contact I have with FAH upper management (that I really don't like to use unless necessary):

For the Aliens Special Edition, there is an on going issue with the encode for Apple TV and we are aware of this and working with our engineering team so that the encode we use can play properly on that platform.
I just received another email from FAH:

Just wanted to drop a note and let you know that Aliens Special Edition has been fixed for Apple TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks