What's new

The Jayne Mansfield Collection [discussion thread] (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I know there's a thread already out there discussing the Jayne Mansfield Collection, but its like 15 years old, so I figured it would be suitable to start a new one to give my own insights (I assumed that those posters in the older thread might not even post here anymore).

Despite the seemingly never-ending parade of buxom peroxide blondes in the 1950s, Jayne Mansfield was Marilyn Monroe's only real competition. Mansfield had become an overnight Broadway sensation in 1955, and she was snatched up by 20th Century-Fox in 1956 as a potential "threat" to the increasingly temperamental Monroe. At the time, Monroe was studying at the Actors Studio in New York, and was on suspension from Fox after refusing multiple "dumb blonde" roles. In the meantime, Fox decided to promote Mansfield as another Monroe. They advertised her as "Marilyn Monroe king-sized" and cranked up the publicity machine.

This collection contains three of Mansfield's films from that brief period in the late 1950s where she was given the star treatment, and threatened to take over Monroe's crown as the undisputed Queen of Glamour. The Girl Can't Help It (1956), her first film for Fox and also her first star vehicle, is easily the best rock-n-roll movie musical ever put on film. In the film, Mansfield plays Jerri Jordan, a seemingly untalented young woman who is forced by her gangster boyfriend, Fats (Edmond O'Brien), into a glamorous career as a songstress. In the process of her career-build-up, however, she falls in love with her talent agent, Tom Miller (Tom Ewell). The movie crams practically every big-name in rock-n-roll music into the picture, with the exception of Elvis. It's a brightly-colored, fun-filled 99 minutes, and it was the perfect vehicle to showcase Fox's "new find" in Mansfield to mainstream movie-going public. Tom Ewell had played Monroe's befuddled leading man in The Seven Year Itch (1955), and was cast specifically to "cash in" on that recognition. (Ewell had also starred in The Lieutenant Wore Skirts, a reversal-of-the-sexes comedy co-starring another Monroe-esque by name of Sheree North.)

Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? (1957) was the highly anticipated movie version of Mansfield's Broadway triumph that had made her a star. Aside from the title and Mansfield's character, fictional movie siren Rita Marlowe, little else from the stage production was brought into the film. The plot was almost entirely reworked: Instead of being a send-up of Hollywood, the movie takes its stabs at the advertisement business. Tony Randall plays Rockwell P. Hunter, a goofball of a man who is trying desperately to climb the ladder and make it big as a TV commercial advertiser. Betsy Drake, Joan Blondell, Henry Jones, and others supply a healthy dose of support in their respective roles. Mansfield and Randall share a good on-screen chemistry, and it's a shame that the two of them never made another movie together. They could've potentially morphed into an exciting on-screen duo. Frank Tashlin, who had directed The Girl Can't Help It, had taken over the duties of translating Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? onto the silver screen, and he even added a bit part for Mansfield's muscular boyfriend, former "Mr. Universe" Mickey Hargitay. The end result is a delightfully satirical look at the old-fashioned way of TV advertisement.

This brings us to the final film in the collection, The Sheriff of Fracture Jaw (1958), which Mansfield shot in Spain. It's basically a precursor to the "Spaghetti Westerns" that cluttered the genre in the 1960s and 1970s. However, it's a spoof of the Western genre, where Mansfield plays a no-nonsense saloon singer named Kate, who falls in love with an "everyman" Englishman played by British actor Kenneth More. She sings three songs in the film: "In the Valley of Love", "If the San Francisco Hills Could Only Talk", and "Strolling Down the Lane with Bill". Although Mansfield was a quite capable singer (she later earned $25,000 a week doing just that in her "House of Love" show she did in Las Vegas in 1958), her singing voice in the film was dubbed by popular songstress Connie Francis. Mansfield seems a little out of place in the film, which can basically be boiled down to the silliness of the execution. The story isn't too bad, but her no-nonsense character seems to good against her nature here.

Over the years, I've went back and forth over whether I view The Girl Can't Help It or Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? as Mansfield's "best" or "signature" film. For the longest, I preferred the latter, but with my most recent viewing, I think I've shifted towards the former. They're both exceptionally good over-the-top comedies, which is the precise environment Mansfield needed in order to succeed. She excelled in that outrageous-type of humor (playwright George Axelrod said Mansfield was "actually a piece of pop art" because she was "10 years ahead of her time"). The Girl Can't Help It can stand-alone as the perfect embodiment of an Old Hollywood showcase of rock-n-roll music, while Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? can stand firm as Mansfield's way of immortalizing the role/caricature she made famous in the mid-to-late-1950s.

The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw is definitely the weakest film of the trio, but one wonders: What other Jayne Mansfield movies could've been included? Her reign as an A-list star was particularly short-lived. Aside from these films included here, she made only two other mainstream movies during her prime: The Wayward Bus (1957), a film version of the John Steinbeck novel where she her strongest on-screen portrayal as ex-stripper Camille Oakes, and Kiss Them for Me (1957), the ill-fated Cary Grant comedy where she plays second fiddle to fashion model Suzy Parker. Neither of those two films were big box office hits in their time, with the latter essentially credited for ending Mansfield's tenure as a would-be heavyweight for 20th Century-Fox and successor to Monroe. The Wayward Bus has been tied up in legal lingo for decades after Steinbeck's widow (or whomever) refused to allow any prints be released because they were dissatisfied with the film, so it couldn't have been included anyway. One speculates that the head-honchos didn't want The Wayward Bus in this collection because it's a departure for Mansfield away from her blonde bombshell image, and because the movie was in black-and-white instead of color.

The Jayne Mansfield Collection is a good collection for the pop icon. Anyone own it? What's your favorite movie?

51719TG0YAL._SX342_.jpg
7QU24oabteVLZCfb7gz6_a_WMYjMi3jSHvX9v8s7gXkHBwms_5J2dLr7bkmrCNnIjdho0KI1AEY60ONy1PhLlGwMRU1CvofNOqzfxypiemp_ZmrvsI-w_lnw-Kn3gpEdfFCtfG9cfP-mXQry9tsA8ntTz_VHhoQZ0vp-AXenOoM3rukW

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
As far as I'm concerned, the best movie Jayne Mansfield ever made was the little film noir "The Burglar", a black & white indie turned out in '55 (prior to her big 20th Century Fox buildup). Top-billed was Dan Duryea, somewhat weathered but as skillful and charismatic as ever. He's a down on his luck con-men going for one last big score with a dysfunctional little gang of whom Mansfield is the most loyal. Her performance is fine -commendably nuanced and ultimately quite sympathetic. Director is the talented Paul Wendkos, who also helmed the terrific Darren McGavin noir "The Case Against Brooklyn".
Columbia picked up "The Burglar" for distribution in '57, by which time Mansfield was a highly marketable figure. Also prominent in the picture is the intriguing Martha Vickers, who'd sizzled her way around Bogart a decade earlier playing Bacall's wild sister in "The Big Sleep". She, too, delivers nicely in "The Burglar" The film didn't make much of box-office splash but over the years has become something of a cult favorite. It was part of the TCM Film Noir Classics III DVD set released several years back. But I'd love to see a solo Blu-Ray release.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
The excellent The Wayward Bus was eventually released by Twilight Time.
The Wayward Bus definitely offers us Jayne's finest on-screen portrayal, and I'd argue that she was at her most beautiful in that film as well. Perhaps it was the black-and-white cinematography or the subtlety of her performance, but I thought she looked exceptionally well in that film.

Look at these stills: Wasn't she stunning?

the-wayward-bus-1957-shutterstock-editorial-5877665g.jpg
the-wayward-bus-1957-shutterstock-editorial-5877665b.jpg

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
...as well as WSSRH ...
51ggMQBt-BL._SX342_.jpg
Her daughter managed to keep a steady job in TV ...
Considering I've already got Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? within the Jayne Mansfield Collection, I don't necessarily see any reason I'd need the Blu-ray edition. The DVD copy I've got is crisp and clear, and I'm happy with it.
The excellent The Wayward Bus was eventually released by Twilight Time.
I'd like to have The Wayward Bus on Blu-ray, however. It's very pricy online right now, though, so it might have the wait a little while.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
As far as I'm concerned, the best movie Jayne Mansfield ever made was the little film noir "The Burglar", a black & white indie turned out in '55 (prior to her big 20th Century Fox buildup). Top-billed was Dan Duryea, somewhat weathered but as skillful and charismatic as ever. He's a down on his luck con-men going for one last big score with a dysfunctional little gang of whom Mansfield is the most loyal. Her performance is fine -commendably nuanced and ultimately quite sympathetic. Director is the talented Paul Wendkos, who also helmed the terrific Darren McGavin noir "The Case Against Brooklyn".
Columbia picked up "The Burglar" for distribution in '57, by which time Mansfield was a highly marketable figure. Also prominent in the picture is the intriguing Martha Vickers, who'd sizzled her way around Bogart a decade earlier playing Bacall's wild sister in "The Big Sleep". She, too, delivers nicely in "The Burglar" The film didn't make much of box-office splash but over the years has become something of a cult favorite. It was part of the TCM Film Noir Classics III DVD set released several years back. But I'd love to see a solo Blu-Ray release.
I've never seen The Burglar, but I think it was on YouTube once. Jayne filmed that movie on location in Philadelphia in the summer of 1955. She had just been released from her six-month-contract with Warner Brothers. The director of the movie, Paul Wendkos, later claimed to have "discovered" Mansfield.

While she was filming The Burglar, she heard about a casting call for Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? on Broadway. The part of screen siren Rita Marlowe had apparently written with Mamie Van Doren in mind, but she refused the role, and thus a casting call was sent out. Although her desire was for film stardom, Mansfield auditioned for and won the role, resulting in her achieving Broadway stardom.

The Burglar was put on ice after filming was completed. Apparently Columbia Pictures didn't see much promise in the film and didn't want to release it. They finally released it in 1957 when Mansfield's celebrity was at its peak. It enjoyed moderate critical and box office success.

MV5BY2NlNzA0ZjctOTRhYi00YTk1LTgxNzUtYjI0YjRkMDRhODkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjIyNjE2NA@@._V1_.jpg

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower

Does anyone know where I could find a good, and preferably cheap, copy of The Wayward Bus Twilight Time Blu-ray edition? I know there were only 3,000 available, and I know that finding a "cheap" copy might not be in the cards.

But I'm hoping...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Recommend Too Hot to Handle (1960). I have the b&w DVD with original English soundtrack and the German colour DVD which unfortunately only has a German dubbing. Would like this on blu ray.
I held off buying that German DVD because of the lack of an English soundtrack. I too would like a Blu-ray disc in compensation! Some of Jayne Mansfield's best publicity stills come from that movie.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for starting this thread!

I have not seen any of Jaynes films but am planning on picking up some based on recommendations here. Many of these titles are in my wish list too.

I noted several of her films are available in HD on iTunes too.

Some of her films are only on disc.

So my question for now is where to start. : )

Also is this the best version available of Too Hot To Handle?

Too Hot To Handle

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower

I have not seen any of Jaynes films but am planning on picking up some based on recommendations here. Many of these titles are in my wish list too.

Too Hot To Handle

THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT and WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? are the best Mansfield movies. The latter is on DVD and Blu-ray.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT and WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? are the best Mansfield movies. The latter is on DVD and Blu-ray.

Bought Rock Hunter and the sheriff and fractured jaw.

I plan on picking up more of her films too.

I’ll pick up the girl can’t help it in April.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Too Hot To Handle

Is this the best version to buy of Too Hot to Handle?

I picked up Kiss Them For Me on dvd today.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The DVD is in fullscreen wheras the German edition is in (lurid) colour and widescreen (1.66). The colour release is edited during Jayne's best number, although the full scene is an extra on the disc, albeit in a lower quality. Many lesser films have been released on blu ray!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The DVD is in fullscreen wheras the German edition is in (lurid) colour and widescreen (1.66). The colour release is edited during Jayne's best number, although the full scene is an extra on the disc, albeit in a lower quality. Many lesser films have been released on blu ray!

Thanks! I’ll have look for the German dvd.

The film is not available in digital. Odd.
The Gable 1938 version is available however.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Is this the best version to buy of Too Hot to Handle
I'd be willing to bet that all the TOO HOT TO HANDLE discs you could be all serve up the same quality. That was one of Jayne's ventures into lower-budget "runaway productions" in the early-'60s. It's a decent movie, and apparently it was originally shown in color. American theaters wouldn't show it in color because it was too risque, so it was reissued in B&W to be released in the "art" theaters. There were once some color clips of Mansfield in the film circulating You-Know-Where, but I couldn't be sure they're still there.

1643898970559.png

In color, the American censors felt Jayne was showing off too much skin. It was easier to disguise what she wasn't wearing in dustier B&W prints.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks