What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Girl Can't Help It (1956) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I’ve never seen a Jayne Mansfield movie. I’m looking forward to buying this one though.

Her best film??
Jayne squeals a lot in Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter, and that movie is funnier. Maybe because Tony Randall is much preferred to Tom Ewell. Girl is much more music oriented.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Jayne squeals a lot in Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter, and that movie is funnier. Maybe because Tony Randall is much preferred to Tom Ewell. Girl is much more music oriented.

Noted. I added this to my iTunes wish list.

I hope Disney will work to release more titles in 4k. I’d love to see more Marilyn 4K films released.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Discrete stereo tracks have never been released on home video for The Girl Can’t Help It. IMDB clearly says mono. Regardless, i’m getting this one.

4-track stereo.

1g.jpg

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Key Video was an imprint of CBS Fox dedicated to art house and older films with lower commercial appeal. And yes Fox DID release The Girl Can't Help It under that brand.

View attachment 125608

They would have labled it as being in stereo on the box so all arrows point to mono.
Hmm that box doesn’t mention Tom Ewell’s name either yet he’s in it?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Tom Ewell got top billing in this film. So the fact that he has been relegated to the back of the box makes his popularity with 50s audiences to us all the more inscrutable.

Daniel_BB

Agent
Real Name
Daniel BARBIEUX
Yes to “The Best Things in Life Are Free”. And I am certain that the stereo tracks survive on that one.

Discrete stereo tracks have never been released on home video for The Girl Can’t Help It. IMDB clearly says mono. Regardless, i’m getting this one.
The stereo tracks (The Best Things in Life are Free) still exist. I was lucky to find the complete score in stereo on the web a few years ago. It is a bootleg of course but quality is great. About the stereo tracks of "The Girl I Can't Help it", I read that the tracks were destroyed a long time ago. I don’t know if it was accidental or not.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The stereo tracks (The Best Things in Life are Free) still exist. I was lucky to find the complete score in stereo on the web a few years ago. It is a bootleg of course but quality is great. About the stereo tracks of "The Girl I Can't Help it", I read that the tracks were destroyed a long time ago. I don’t know if it was accidental or not.

Criterion should have hired Eckhard Büttner from the 3D Film Archive to do the stereophonic sound restoration from the mono tracks. He did a wonderful job on The Maze. Directional dialog and effects were fantastic!

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I can imagine. The Fox stereo prerecordings have always sounded great.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
... About the stereo tracks of "The Girl I Can't Help it", I read that the tracks were destroyed a long time ago. I don’t know if it was accidental or not.

Sucks that they were destroyed but, Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter and The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw do have stereo tracks (Sheriff in French only on the DVD).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks