What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Dogfight (1991) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
7s7iFJisvhdtc48SmKdRyHJrvuI8En_large.jpg
An ineffably bittersweet portrait of youth in the 1960s, Nancy Savoca’s funny, sensitive tale of love and war etches two vividly alive characters: aspiring San Francisco folk singer Rose (Lili Taylor) and hotheaded, Vietnam-bound marine Eddie (River Phoenix), who meet on the occasion of a cruelly misogynistic party where men compete to bring the most unattractive dates they can find. But what begins as a night to forget unexpectedly develops into something far more meaningful. Featuring music by folk legends Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, and Pete Seeger, Dogfight captures the miracle of human connection while gracefully subverting ideas surrounding machismo, patriotic duty, and the very meaning of America itself.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 93 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #1216

DIRECTOR-APPROVED BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 2K digital restoration, supervised by director Nancy Savoca, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
    • Audio commentary featuring Savoca and producer Richard Guay
    • New interview with Savoca and actor Lili Taylor conducted by filmmaker Mary Harron
    • New interviews with cinematographer Bobby Bukowski, production designer Lester Cohen, script supervisor Mary Cybulski, music supervisor Jeff Kimball, supervising sound editor Tim Squyres, and editor John Tintori
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by film critic Christina Newland

New cover inspired by an original theatrical poster

April 30, 2024

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Big surprise! Never had a blu-ray release and a River Phoenix film I've never seen. And what a great cover design!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Big surprise! Never had a blu-ray release and a River Phoenix film I've never seen. And what a great cover design!
I saw it so long ago, I can barely remember it.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
DOGFIGHT is a terrific, very affecting film. It is both memorable and bittersweet in many ways, due in no small part to it being one of the better films in the sadly brief career of River Phoenix. I like the extras - especially the new interviews.

I am really looking forward to getting this bluray and watching it again. As an FYI, the film was made into a rather good off-Broadway musical too.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This is one of my favorite films of the 90's. Definitely picking it up. I hope Criterion releases another WB film I have been waiting for forever...'Stand and Deliver'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks