What's new

The Jayne Mansfield Collection [discussion thread] (1 Viewer)

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Any guesses why Mansfield's star rose and crashed so fast ? She could have done any of Monroe's films. She could definitely have done "Some Like It Hot", "Let's Make Love" or completed the "Somethings Got To Give". I felt she was great in each of the films mentioned previously. Just wondered why her career took off then an abrupt halt ???

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I like Jayne, but I don't think she had Marilyn's vulnerability. She was tougher and less sensitive than Marilyn, so she might have played the roles but the results would have been very different. I know she toured in summer stock for several years as Loreli Lee in the stage version of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I would love to have seen what she did with that part.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I like Jayne, but I don't think she had Marilyn's vulnerability. She was tougher and less sensitive than Marilyn, so she might have played the roles but the results would have been very different. I know she toured in summer stock for several years as Loreli Lee in the stage version of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I would love to have seen what she did with that part.
WOW, that would have been great to see her interpretation of Loreli ! that would have been a great show to see........ I don't think Jayne's potential was ever tapped to its fullest extent.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Any guesses why Mansfield's star rose and crashed so fast ?
My guess is that it was a blend of three factors. The first was her films were not especially profitable and some actually lost money; the second was Fox suddenly finding themselves going broke very quickly and dumping as many contractees as possible; and the third was that Jayne had antagonised many people by her insatiable hunger for publicity and her unscrupulous gate-crashing of other stars' events. (Her appearance at Hollywood's welcoming dinner for Sophia Loren is well documented)

When the bubble burst, she didn't have many friends willing to help her career get re-started.

Caproni

Second Unit
Real Name
DRB
Just ordered Single Room Furnished. Blind buy.
Single Room Furnished was Jayne's last released film -- although it was released after her death. It was filmed in 1966 when she was still marred to Matt Cimber, who directed the project. It's a decent enough movie, especially considering it takes Jayne away from the "dumb blonde" persona for a bit.

1652106480847.png

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Single Room Furnished was Jayne's last released film -- although it was released after her death. It was filmed in 1966 when she was still marred to Matt Cimber, who directed the project. It's a decent enough movie, especially considering it takes Jayne away from the "dumb blonde" persona for a bit.

View attachment 137621

I just picked this One up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris_Wilson3
Recent bookmarks