What's new

ISN'T IT ABOUT TIME FOR A COMPREHENSIVE MARILYN MONROE Blu-ray set?!? (3 Viewers)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
This, is great insight into both versions of the film. One, thing in "SGTG" both the children were girls and in "MOD" if was a boy and a girl.
You have that a little backwards friend. Move Over, Darling had the two daughters, while Something's Got to Give had the son and daughter.
Do you think the car wash scene in "MOD" was substituted for the nude swim in "SGTG". I can't see Marilyn doing the car wash scene.
Ummm I don't know. But it's evident that the scripts were tailored to fit the talents of the leading ladies. The Monroe version was sexier, while the Day version was cutesy and more of a farce.
As, I was in grade school when I saw "MOD", was it known that this was the do over of "SGTG" ?
I'm sure there was some publicity (probably mostly in Hollywood-style trade papers and magazines) that the movie was a revamped Something's Got to Give.

I wonder who's idea it was to make "SGTG" into "MOD" ??
The producers at 20th Century-Fox were desperate for cash flow in the 1960s because Cleopatra (1963) practically bankrupt them. The head-honchos probably felt revamping Something's Got to Give was a quick way to get some money coming in. Hiring Doris Day was a no brainer because she had been the #1 box office star since 1960.

Some of the sets and costumes were used in both versions.

Kim, Shirley or Lee would have been great in the Monroe role. However, I think Marilyn would have been the best.
Of the three, I would have only found Kim Novak acceptable. I've never seen Lee Remick in anything (nor do I necessarily have any desire to) and I don't really like Shirley MacLaine. I've liked Kim in Bell, Book and Candle and Kiss Me, Stupid (the latter which had been petitioned to Monroe before her death), but sometimes she doesn't hit the right marks and she comes off a little stiff.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Don’t forget Lee Remick in The Hallelujah Trail.
In anything and everything.
Her film debut was spectacular. Who can ever forget her baton twirling in A Face in the Crowd?
It seems the people who knew her can attest that she was a wonderful human being. Plus she was lovely to look at...

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
You have that a little backwards friend. Move Over, Darling had the two daughters, while Something's Got to Give had the son and daughter.

Ummm I don't know. But it's evident that the scripts were tailored to fit the talents of the leading ladies. The Monroe version was sexier, while the Day version was cutesy and more of a farce.

I'm sure there was some publicity (probably mostly in Hollywood-style trade papers and magazines) that the movie was a revamped Something's Got to Give.

The producers at 20th Century-Fox were desperate for cash flow in the 1960s because Cleopatra (1963) practically bankrupt them. The head-honchos probably felt revamping Something's Got to Give was a quick way to get some money coming in. Hiring Doris Day was a no brainer because she had been the #1 box office star since 1960.

Some of the sets and costumes were used in both versions.

Of the three, I would have only found Kim Novak acceptable. I've never seen Lee Remick in anything (nor do I necessarily have any desire to) and I don't really like Shirley MacLaine. I've liked Kim in Bell, Book and Candle and Kiss Me, Stupid (the latter which had been petitioned to Monroe before her death), but sometimes she doesn't hit the right marks and she comes off a little stiff.
I never felt Kim translated to comedy well, I think she was miscast in "KMS" and remember "Boy's Night Out" ? She was much more effective in "Vertigo", "BBAC" which was a not really drama or comedy, somewhere in between, loved her in "Picnic" and "Pal Joey". Maybe Kim would have been a good choice for "SGTG" ? I am with you about Shirley MacLaine loved her in drama not really in a comedy. She tened to be annoying in the comedies she appeared in like "What A Way To Go" and "Johnny Goldfarb.

Another choice would have been Natalie Wood, she could have pulled it off.

Have to disagree about Lee Remick she was outstanding in just about any role she starred. Especially loved her in "Days Of Wine And Roses".

Last edited:

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I never felt Kim translated to comedy well, I think she was miscast in "KMS" and remember "Boy's Night Out" ? She was much more effective in "Vertigo", "BBAC" which was a not really drama or comedy, somewhere in between, loved her in "Picnic" and "Pal Joey". Maybe Kim would have been a good choice for "SGTG" ? I am with you about Shirley MacLaine loved her in drama not really in a comedy. She tened to be annoying in the comedies she appeared in like "What A Way To Go" and "Johnny Goldfarb.

Another choice would have been Natalie Wood, she could have pulled it off.

Have to disagree about Lee Remick she was outstanding in just about any role she starred. Especially loved her in "Days Of Wine And Roses".
I love Kim Novak's look and she was one of my grandmother's favorite actresses when she was young (my grandmother, I mean). I used to have big books about classic movie actresses and my grandmother always stopped on Kim Novak and would say, "I've always liked her. She was so pretty."

With that, I am mature enough to admit that Kim sometimes is a hit or miss for me as an actress. For me, I thought she was pretty good in Kiss Me, Stupid (1964), even though it's been a while since I saw that movie. Perhaps my admiration for the film itself is because Billy Wilder was behind the camera and that Kim's role, Polly the Pistol, had been written with Monroe in mind.

It hasn't been too long ago that my wife and I watched her in The Notorious Landlady (1962), a mystery spoof, and I was left a little underwhelmed after it was over. I thought Jack Lemmon and Fred Astaire were great, but Kim appeared a little stiff and some of the comedy bits seemed forced.

As with you, I think I like Kim when she falls between the drama and comedy. My favorite of her movies is probably Bell, Book and Candle (1958), where she plays a barefoot witch opposite James Stewart, Jack Lemmon, and Ernie Kovacs. The movie is cute and funny with a fine dash of romance.

I also really like Jeanne Eagels (1957), where she plays the troubled stage star. It is a highly fictionalized account of the real Jeanne Eagels, but Kim ranks it as one of her own favorites and it's really her only solo leading role from her heyday.

I'm also looking forward to her turn as Kit Marlowe on the sixth season of Falcon Crest. For some trivia, her boss at Columbia Pictures, Harry Cohn, originally wanted to call her "Kit Marlowe" when she signed with the studio in 1954. She refused to change given surname (Novak), although she changed her first name from Marilyn to Kim because there was already Marilyn Monroe.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I love Kim too, but cn we get back to Marilyn? Fox is indeed a problem now but WB has three of Marilyn's films that need Blu-rays.
Are you referring to Right Cross (MGM, 1950), Clash By Night (RKO, 1952) and The Prince and the Showgirl (WB, 1957) because The Asphalt Jungle (MGM, 1950) has already been released on Blu-ray through Criterion.

Marilyn had a small part in another independent film that was only released by MGM called Home Town Story (1951) and I believe that title has fallen into the public domain because it's been released on DVD many times over the years.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I read that Marilyn's next film after "Something's Got To Give" was to be "What A Way To Go". She was, of course, replaced by Shirley MacLaine .
In late July 1962, Monroe had settled her differences with Fox. She a new $1 million, two-picture deal with the studio. She was scheduled to resume filming Something's Got to Give in October, and What a Way to Go! (then called I Love Louisa) was to follow.

Shirley MacLaine did end up replacing her in the latter, although producers thought of doing What a Way to Go! with Elizabeth Taylor.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
In late July 1962, Monroe had settled her differences with Fox. She a new $1 million, two-picture deal with the studio. She was scheduled to resume filming Something's Got to Give in October, and What a Way to Go! (then called I Love Louisa) was to follow.

Shirley MacLaine did end up replacing her in the latter, although producers thought of doing What a Way to Go! with Elizabeth Taylor.
Interesting with Liz starring instead of Shirley, Liz was married almost as many times as the character in "WAWTG" that would have been true to form. I can't remember did Liz ever do comedy ??

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Interesting with Liz starring instead of Shirley, Liz was married almost as many times as the character in "WAWTG" that would have been true to form. I can't remember did Liz ever do comedy ??
She did The Taming of the Shrew, one of Shakespeare's greatest comedies. She also did Father of the Bride and its sequel and the musical comedy A Date with Judy.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
. I can't remember did Liz ever do comedy ??
She also did Love Is Better Than Ever (1952), a B-comedy MGM allegedly rushed her into because she divorced her first husband, Conrad Hilton Jr., so soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks