1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Alamo restored for blu-ray

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ljgranberry, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ljgranberry

ljgranberry Second Unit

Larry Granberry
    Had the good fortune to see The Alamo at a screening in Dallas tonight, first time to see on a big screen. I have a feeling the cut scenes added immeasurably to a greater appreciation of the film. Does anyone know the status of reconstructing/restoring the roadshow version, and hopefully releasing it on blu-ray?

2. bujaki

bujaki Cinematographer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Can you divulge the venue? I was unaware of a screening in my neighborhood. Have not seen this since the roadshow engagement of the complete version in Puerto Rico.

3. ljgranberry

ljgranberry Second Unit

Larry Granberry
    It was a screening done by the Dallas Film Society at the Alamo Drafthouse. It was a projection of a DVD, and unfortunately it looked terrible. First time I've really seen the film, and it was glaringly evident where the cuts took place. I also looked on youtube, and they are posted out there. Clearly United Artists sacrificed clarity and character development for the ability to get more screenings in.

4. bujaki

bujaki Cinematographer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Thanks, Larry.

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

The cut scenes add alot to this movie more than usual for cut scenes as many of them fill in missing information. One example: if you add up all the defenders of the alamo in the theatrical cut it comes up short as to how many are actually there. So I always wondered where did the rest of them come from. There is a scene in the directors cut that explains and shows that so it makes the facts correct. There are other scenes like this as well as a resolution with the guy John Wayne has a conflict with over the girl in town. I still have my laserdisc but wish this could be restored for DVD and Blu-Ray.

ljgranberry likes this.
  6. ljgranberry

ljgranberry Second Unit

Larry Granberry
    Randy, you are so right. This was really the first time I've ever seen the film, and it is jarring where the cuts were done - they seriously hurt the film. I hope Robert Harris or some other expert film preservationist is working to save this, because as it stands the film is a mess with those cuts.

7. Message #7 of 7 Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    FWAJMB

FWAJMB Agent

Jason Blosser
    Holy Crap!

There is a 13GB HD version of The Alamo that just hit BitTorrent sites. It has the modern MGM logo at the beginning and end, appears to be sourced from HDNet Movies.

The picture is assuredly HD. It's the theatrical version. Film grain - glorious film grain - is apparent throughout. The image is clean and void of detris, but the color seems very slightly unnatural in some scenes.

Now, only if it were ethical to download and keep such a file...