What's new

A few words about...™ - All That Money Can Buy -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Criterion's new Blu-ray of William Dieterle's original cut of All That Money Can Buy is one of the must owns of the 2024 release schedule.

Cut from its original 107 minute running time to 85, and recently restored by UCLA in an effort led by archivist Scott MacQueen, the film (and the resultant disc) should be an amazing discovery to anyone who loves the cinema.

It brings to the fore a discussion that must be had regarding Orson Welles, Citizen Kane and the RKO "look."

The films were released almost concurrently, and even with a cursory overview, the textures of audio and image are front and center.

The less the better said about the production. The reconstruction/ restoration is beautifully performed. Image shines, and audio allows details to be heard that I'd never experienced, especially in the background of the mix. The audio was restored by John Polito of Audio Mechanics. Scanning by Roundabout.

A gorgeous Blu-ray, and one of the most important films one is apt to discover this year.

Image – 9

Audio – 10

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - n/a

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Daniel-Webster-Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B0CQGQQ9NM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=DF35CB1U5YHE&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.BGOMfJp52Q6aIsuVrGICJw.yYoRet2op1EIuOxNzbDuoy2IpavbYntCHrpIXJY8XjU&dib_tag=se&keywords=all+that+money+can+buy+criterion+blu-ray&qid=1710143978&sprefix=all+that+money+c,aps,92&sr=8-1

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Of course I bought the dvd edition and will double dip here and give way the dvd, once this new upgrade edition arrives to my domicile...

Into The Archives

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jayson
A beautiful restoration overseen by Scott MacQueen (which was his final film at UCLA, I believe) that I saw at MoMA last year—looking forward to picking this one up (and also nice to see that Dr. Svet Atanasov has had his 1974 Zenith Chromacolor set calibrated after reading his review on another forum);):P

MUFC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Not only scanned at Roundabout, also digitally restored in house.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's fine to end a sentence with a preposition, all these silly rules (that aren't really rules at all). I mean who wants to say: To go boldly.

Anyway, great news, & even better news, Criterion are also releasing it in the UK (not always a given).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
But "Webster" keeps changing the rules ... It appears now a Preposition is a good thing to end a sentence with ... ;)
Unhappy with his parent's choice of bedtime story, the child asked, "What did you bring the book that I didn't want to be read to out of up for?"

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Please can we get back to talking about All That Money Can Buy?
Ha, what's there to talk about, it's a magical film with a great new transfer. It's worthy of a Saturday evening viewing...with a nice glass of wine. I think I first saw it on TV in the very late fifties, & it made a real & lasting impression. There must be quite a few - sell you soul to the devil - films: Damn Yankees, Phantom Of The Paradise & Bedazzled, to name but three.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks