What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Lisa Frankenstein -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"It's not where you start, it's where you finish..."

In her first feature film as director, Zelda Williams takes a screenplay by Diablo Cody, very loosely based upon a book from c. 1818, and turns it into a genre-bending horror / teen rom-com.

Filled with tiny connections - the mention of Aunt Shelley, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, rainbow suspenders, John Waters, G.W. Pabst, et al - Lisa Frankenstein is a first time film that allows a pleasant 100 minute ride, without ever really making a statement. And that's fine. It's all about odd young love, and doesn't particularly care that the boyfriend died 150 previous to their meeting.

It's a candy-colored '80s themed film that was shot digitally, and looks terrific in Universal's new Blu-ray, that leaves me wondering what Ms Willams will do next, and hoping that it's something that would make her dad especially proud. There's talent on screen that just need to be honed a bit.

Audio in DTS-HD MA 5.1 works nicely.

The film stars Kathryn Newton, whose work I enjoyed opposite Vince Vaughn in Freaky, and Cole Sprouse, and Carla Gigino.

Image – 10

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating -1

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I considered seeing it at a theater several weeks back (probably during its 2nd or 3rd week of theatrical release in Feb), but...

And now, it's already streaming on Peacock in 4K (in what seems like record time), so probably check it out there first me thinks... as that's what I'll likely do...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks