What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Nostalghia -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Andrei Tarkovsky's 1983 Nostalghia is one of those dream-like films that must be experienced.

But for home theater purposes, it has never really worked as the film grain, fog and overall imagery play against it for so much of the film.

With the new restoration, being offered in 4k via Kino, those into serious cinema finally have the ability to view the film closely to its cinema roots.

My advice. Don't read about it.

Just access a new 4k copy and enjoy. It's beautiful.

Image – 10

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 8

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 1

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Ah - great to hear! This will be a very major upgrade from the blu-ray.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is one I've never seen, and Tarkovsky is a bit of a struggle for me. The viewer really has to be in the right frame of mind, and well rested. I pre-ordered this a couple months ago, and supposedly it will be here on release day.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Mine arrived today. Hoping to assay this weekend, but ye gods, do I have piles to get through. First world problems.

henry001

Auditioning
Real Name
Henry
This restoration made from original negative into 4K is simply stunning. I purchased 4 blu rays made in the past, but none of them were good enough, but this one is totally satisfactory, I can't believe Blu-ray com reviewer gave such a bad review of both this 4k version and the film itself. Just ignore what he said, and enjoy this film. I watched this film for the first time in 1983 when it was theatrically released, and since then I consider it to be Tarkovsky's best work. This is pure cinema.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I watched it this weekend, and I have no major complaints. I didn't notice any of the macroblocking that reviewer complained about, at least on my display, but I'll go back and check it out.

My only question mark is the lack of an HDR grade. Normally, I'd say that this isn't the kind of film that doesn't really needs one, especially since there's only so much to be gained via WCG. In this case, though, Guiseppe Lanci had an ENR bleach bypass applied to theatrical release prints. He mentions that in the interview on the disc, but I found another interview with him online where he claims that it was an effect that he couldn't quite replicate digitally. Yet that's exactly the kind of effect that an HDR grade could help recreate. I'm really looking forward to the new 4K HDR master of Se7en for just that reason. So I think that this is a case where HDR could have offered some improvements.

That said, it still looks fantastic as is.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
This restoration made from original negative into 4K is simply stunning. I purchased 4 blu rays made in the past, but none of them were good enough, but this one is totally satisfactory, I can't believe Blu-ray com reviewer gave such a bad review of both this 4k version and the film itself. Just ignore what he said, and enjoy this film. I watched this film for the first time in 1983 when it was theatrically released, and since then I consider it to be Tarkovsky's best work. This is pure cinema.

That's Svet for you.

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
That's Svet for you.
In many cases, he's absolutely right pointing out gradings that are way too much a result of which lab performed it before anything else, but he's gone quite far away from just doing that, instead going into a crusade that, more often than not, makes his scores useless for the readers, and is way too often just a springboard for his 'Merica First rhetoric.
It's a shame, as he used to be one of the most discerning Blu-ray.com reviewer, but most of his reviews now instead follow a predictable bingo that's too often disconnected from the actual on-disc content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks