What's new

Other CBS Shows VEI could release (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of you guys are way off topic. Any further such posts will be deleted with possible thread bans in the future. Just stop it and leave your personal thoughts and concerns about shows from past years regarding social or political issues outside of this thread and forum.

There won't be any further warnings, just moderator action for those that disregard this warning.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Some of you guys are way off topic. Any further such posts will be deleted with possible thread bans in the future. Just stop it and leave your personal thoughts and concerns about shows from past years regarding social or political issues outside of this thread and forum.

There won't be any further warnings, just moderator action for those that disregard this warning.
Thank you so much!

~Ben

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if the day came when all of the studios decided that all of their television properties had some value and were worth preserving and making available in some form. Unlike many who like to say stupidly that "everything will be available some day", I don't believe its ever going to happen. Costs of transferring 2-inch videotape for instance, keep getting more expensive, not less, and the day will come when there are no longer any working machines in existence nor will there be parts for them or people who know how to run them for that matter.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
It would be nice if the day came when all of the studios decided that all of their television properties had some value and were worth preserving and making available in some form. Unlike many who like to say stupidly that "everything will be available some day", I don't believe its ever going to happen. Costs of transferring 2-inch videotape for instance, keep getting more expensive, not less, and the day will come when there are no longer any working machines in existence nor will there be parts for them or people who know how to run them for that matter.
I sadly will agree. You didn't mention deterioration of the physical elements, so I would add that. The fact that current shows are being abandoned in favor of streaming tells me all I need to know. I'm 45 and consider myself a buff of classic TV (as you are and others). I'm probably on the younger side for this hobby and there are shows I don't remember nor purchase even if available. I'm not even the target demographic, nor would most of us here be in their desired demographic.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm not even the target demographic, nor would most of us here be in their desired demographic.

I'm 38 now (turned that on 1/3), and I'm not one who usually enjoys the stuff that other people my age would generally be all in for (The Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, Game of Thrones, etc.); I'm more the Streets of San Francisco, M Squad, Petrocelli type-- IOW, like you, very much old-school, notwithstanding my age.

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm 38 now (turned that on 1/3), and I'm not one who usually enjoys the stuff that other people my age would generally be all in for (The Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, Game of Thrones, etc.); I'm more the Streets of San Francisco, M Squad, Petrocelli type-- IOW, like you, very much old-school, notwithstanding my age.
I got 2 of my 3 kids hooked on classic TV. My oldest is 22, and he will call/text me about some "new" show he's discovered on ME-TV or tell me what Gomer and Sgt. Carter got into it over. My middle son will be 21 next month, and he likes the old stuff as well.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I know it's easy to get upset or annoyed about the many TV series that have not - and likely will not - get a DVD, let alone a Blu-Ray, release. And as the years go by, and the market for these older shows dwindles, it's inevitable that we fans will never get all of our home video wants released. Believe me, I sympathize and feel the same about several series that will probably lay dormant in the vaults forever. As Neil stated above, in a perfect world, we all would get what we want, regardless of its relative merit, released on disc in quality editions (or, barring that, viewable in some format easily accessible to all).

But I can't help feeling that too much dwelling on the negative, on what we don't have, is ultimately counterproductive. If we look at the sheer volume of what HAS been released on DVD, it's pretty amazing. Considering how the studios, if they had their druthers, would likely prefer the average consumer not to own any of their product outright, but rather control access to it themselves, I feel we TV and movie fans have gotten pretty lucky overall. I mean, when many of us who frequent this board own more episodes of classic shows than we will probably ever have time to watch...well, I think we didn't make out too badly, in the final analysis. I have a pretty sizable collection that I'll likely never get through in my lifetime (though I'll make a stab at it!), and my collection is a mere slip of a thing compared to a lot of members here. Just on my own, I could easily program a 24 hour TV station and not run into any repeats for a very long time. When I was a young kid, I never would have dreamed that would be possible. I'm sure that's true for most members here.

I guess what I'm saying is, as the releases dry up, maybe it's time to sit back and accept that we had a good run, be happy with what did get released, record what we can of what wasn't, cheer the occasional surprises that still show up now and then, and focus more energy on enjoying what we do have. Because what we do have is a pretty impressive spectrum of the best (and yes, in some cases, the worst) of what the medium of television has to offer.

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I can relate to this in ways beyond the matter of TV shows on DVD. I've been a big collector of old baseball broadcasts on the radio and the last couple years I hit the jackpot in terms of getting access to a massively large estate of reel to reel tapes that had over a thousand broadcasts of interest to me and now that the estate has dried up, I can't complain about certain games that weren't in the lot and which I may never get a chance to hear, I have to be happy with what there is. Same is true of TV on DVD. I think we should start neatly organizing the charts of what we have, then take a look and you'll see that we've got something that 25 years ago we could only have dreamed of.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I know it's easy to get upset or annoyed about the many TV series that have not - and likely will not - get a DVD, let alone a Blu-Ray, release. And as the years go by, and the market for these older shows dwindles, it's inevitable that we fans will never get all of our home video wants released. Believe me, I sympathize and feel the same about several series that will probably lay dormant in the vaults forever. As Neil stated above, in a perfect world, we all would get what we want, regardless of its relative merit, released on disc in quality editions (or, barring that, viewable in some format easily accessible to all).

But I can't help feeling that too much dwelling on the negative, on what we don't have, is ultimately counterproductive. If we look at the sheer volume of what HAS been released on DVD, it's pretty amazing. Considering how the studios, if they had their druthers, would likely prefer the average consumer not to own any of their product outright, but rather control access to it themselves, I feel we TV and movie fans have gotten pretty lucky overall. I mean, when many of us who frequent this board own more episodes of classic shows than we will probably ever have time to watch...well, I think we didn't make out too badly, in the final analysis. I have a pretty sizable collection that I'll likely never get through in my lifetime (though I'll make a stab at it!), and my collection is a mere slip of a thing compared to a lot of members here. Just on my own, I could easily program a 24 hour TV station and not run into any repeats for a very long time. When I was a young kid, I never would have dreamed that would be possible. I'm sure that's true for most members here.

I guess what I'm saying is, as the releases dry up, maybe it's time to sit back and accept that we had a good run, be happy with what did get released, record what we can of what wasn't, cheer the occasional surprises that still show up now and then, and focus more energy on enjoying what we do have. Because what we do have is a pretty impressive spectrum of the best (and yes, in some cases, the worst) of what the medium of television has to offer.

Beautifully said; thanks!!!!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have a pretty sizable collection that I'll likely never get through in my lifetime (though I'll make a stab at it!), and my collection is a mere slip of a thing compared to a lot of members here.

I've got a lot of great ones in mine that I've barely even scratched the surface of, and you're right-- all we can do is try. I'm going to enjoy as much of it as I can, as I'm sure you will as well.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've got a lot of great ones in mine that I've barely even scratched the surface of, and you're right-- all we can do is try. I'm going to enjoy as much of it as I can, as I'm sure you will as well.

That’s how I spend my weekends as a matter of fact I’m getting a dose of Matlock. When I finish that Perry Mason is next up.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I agree with the sentiments expressed that we should be happy for what we have in our TV series DVD collections. However, I also can't help but feel that there was so much more we all could've enjoyed,

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Yes, I'm amazed that just about every show I ever liked a lot has made it to DVD in its entirety. That doesn't mean I can't still hope for the rest of St. Elsewhere (legit, though I could go the "alternate source" route), plus Slattery's People and The Great Adventure (which are not available from anyone, anywhere).

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Speaking for myself, I could wrap up my TV Show Collection once the Final seasons of Perfect Strangers, Mayberry RFD and House of Cards are released. House of Cards Season 6 and Perfect Strangers Season 7-8 are forthcoming. I do hope Mayberry RFD Seasons 2 and 3 are in the works

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My collection will never be done as long as there is still such a thing as TV. So many old shows yet to be released, so many new ones yet to even be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks