What's new

Press Release MPI Press Release: The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD) (3 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There are only about 4 episodes that feature both Kris & June together and they never speak to each other directly. I always thought that was weird.

I can’t explain why but that does seem to be how family dynamics go sometime. My brother was in a relationship for a very long time and his girlfriend was always present at our family gatherings and I can’t ever recall her having a conversation with just my wife. (You’d think at the least they’d be comparing notes for which of us brothers was more insane…)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I just received seasons 13 and 14 from Amazon Canada...season 14 is in perfect condition, but of course the season 13 case was cracked badly, and even though none of the discs were floaters, disc one has a noticeable scratch...a scratch that I was sure would make the disc unreadable...but I'm in luck, the episodes on that disc played fine! A real relief, as disc one of S13 has one of my personal late series' favorites...ep. 7, The Pennies...two episodes on that disc also feature young Billy Mumy...and another episode, A Letter of Recommendation features his Lost in Space near-future castmate Jonathan Harris...ironic, as Ozzie and Harriet's final season would compete against newcomer Lost in Space and the returning Virginian on Wednesday evenings at 7:30 in the fall of 1965...until January 1966 when Ozzie and Harriet made way for the premiere of Batman by moving to Saturdays at 7:30, bumping Shindig off air and going up against The Jackie Gleason Show and Flipper...(later S14 episodes on this MPI set have ABC promos for the coming Batman premiere on Wednesdays and Thursdays featuring 'Commissioner Gordon' Neil Hamilton on camera).

SAM_0876.JPG

SAM_0877.JPG

As always, the reliably funny Ozzie and Harriet represent a wonderful time capsule of those years...just a couple examples of many in the episodes I watched today in these two new MPI series' concluding season sets...Ozzie buying an Aurora plastic model kit of the nuclear submarine USS SKIPJACK in S14 episode 25 Ozzie the Babysitter (I myself had that very kit as a 9 year old!), and the great Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass providing "special original music" for S14 episode 10, Flying Down to Lunch...including the multi-platinum Herb Alpert chart-topper of 1965-66, Tijuana Taxi...glad that music rights didn't get in the way there...what great memories of those years I have!

MPI used four discs for S14, with only 5 episodes on disc four...leaving a little room for a couple bonus features if they'd chose to put them there...but sadly, there's nothing in the way of a bonus feature...for me, still a minor complaint, as I'm thrilled to have this series in this superb presentation on disc!

I'm tired right now, but after a good nap, I'll try to take some screen caps from these final color episodes...what a great job the Nelson family estate, UCLA and MPI have done with this treasured TV series!

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
MPI used four discs for S14, with only 5 episodes on disc four...

But oddly, they didn’t use the extra space afforded by having an extra disc to increase the episode file size - the amount of data is identical to the three disc set for Season 13. That’s a baffling choice; they increased the production cost for absolutely no reason.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I just received seasons 13 and 14 from Amazon Canada...

I'm tired right now, but after a good nap, I'll try to take some screen caps from these final color episodes...what a great job the Nelson family estate, UCLA and MPI have done with this treasured TV series!

So happy you got your sets, Randall. My S14 is coming today in the mail as well. Really excited and happy to have all these episodes. Truly one of the most remarkable and welcome sights in TV on DVD history!!!!

Gary "I'm taking my good sweet time watching because I want these to last a long time, knowing we are in the twilight of vintage material coming via physical media" O.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
If Kris ever referred to her family she would say something like " My folks own a cabin"...or my sister said etc...she never referred to them by name.

June always kept her Blair name when being credited, but used Nelson for her "character" on the show. She never did remarry after her divorce from David. I have a feeling she liked being independent and did not want a husband to dominate things.

There are only about 4 episodes that feature both Kris & June together and they never speak to each other directly. I always thought that was weird. You would think there would be an episode or two where they are over at each others homes or going shopping etc...I always wondered if they got along in real life. Someone said on another board that when Kris was still living and on facebook, they asked her about June. She said that she hears from her from time to time and still considers her as a good friend. June passed away last year at 90.
Yes, I do remember that Kris mentioned about her parents in passing but never by name. By the way, she died a few years ago on April 27, 2018. More info. David Nelson's birthday would have been on Tuesday 10/24.

TLones1060

Agent
Real Name
Tim Lones
My Season 14 from Deep Discount Video is now sitting at a Post Office in Akron, Ohio to be delivered tomorrow, October 27. to my apartment. It took me 16 months to get the whole series. I bought them from Amazon (seasons 1-8), Bull Moose (The Christmas set only). and Deep Discount Video (seasons 9-14.

Tom.W

Second Unit
a scratch that I was sure would make the disc unreadable...but I'm in luck, the episodes on that disc played fine!
Glad of that, Randall, and that you didn't have the hassle of being disappointed with unplayable discs!
Yes, I do remember that Kris mentioned about her parents in passing but never by name.
Interesting that Kris' real life father was Tom Harmon, Heisman Trophy winner from his days at U. Michigan, and later a well-known sportscaster. Maybe just a coincidence that she never referred to him on the show. Also, of course her brother is actor Mark Harmon.

Season 14 arrived this week a couple of days after season 13. I'll be digging into 13 tomorrow and looking forward to 14 next week (one episode at a time)!

Gary "I'm taking my good sweet time watching because I want these to last a long time, knowing we are in the twilight of vintage material coming via physical media" O.
With respect to that sad fact, I watched the second episode of 21 Beacon Street (Safety Deposit) last night. Very interesting but somewhat implausible to say the least. But that's a subject for another thread.

Hoagie78

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Interesting that Kris' real life father was Tom Harmon, Heisman Trophy winner from his days at U. Michigan, and later a well-known sportscaster. Maybe just a coincidence that she never referred to him on the show. Also, of course her brother is actor Mark Harmon.
Starting around 1969/1970 to about 1972/1973 Tom Harmon did commercials for Kellogg's Product 19 cereal ( some are available on youtube). In one Rick & Kris 3 children (Tracy, Matthew, and Gunnar) appear playing with him. In another his son Mark appears. Tom's wife Elyse Knox also appears in several of the ads.

I have been tempted to discuss season 13 & 14 episodes, but have held off till most people have received their sets.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Speaking of homes, Dave is a lawyer and partner at the law office, but he and June live in kind of a small rented apartment and seem to always be living on a budget. Rick is a college student/part time law clerk and he and Kris live in a nice one story colonial house with expensive furnishings. What's up with that ?
Maybe it was a wedding present from Kris's Dad.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Starting around 1969/1970 to about 1972/1973 Tom Harmon did commercials for Kellogg's Product 19 cereal ( some are available on youtube). In one Rick & Kris 3 children (Tracy, Matthew, and Gunnar) appear playing with him. In another his son Mark appears. Tom's wife Elyse Knox also appears in several of the ads.

I have been tempted to discuss season 13 & 14 episodes, but have held off till most people have received their sets.
Elyse Knox was a beautiful actress and one of my favourites during her time at Universal. I see a lot of the family resemblance from her in Kris and Tracy.

Hoagie78

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Elyse Knox was a beautiful actress and one of my favourites during her time at Universal. I see a lot of the family resemblance from her in Kris and Tracy.
Elyse was a beautiful woman. The middle Harmon daughter "Kelly" was beautiful too. She did those Tic Tac ads for years among other acting projects. Kelly also reminds me a bit of Tina Cole who played Katie on My Three Sons.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I see season 14 is now available on amazon in HD for purchase.I assume season 13 will follow soon.A while back there was some discussion over Ozzies lack of a job so I was thinking what would be a good occupation for him if he had one? Maybe be an architect and work at home like Mike Brady/Brady Bunch.George Burns didnt have a job either but was almost always at home dressed in a suit standing and smoking a cigar.I read a funny comment he made about his wife and costar Gracie.
'working with her is so easy.I say something like say how is your brother? ' She replies 'I am glad you asked.A funny thing happened to him yesterday let me tell you all about it!'.And then she proceeds to talk for the next 13 years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks