What's new

Press Release MPI Press Release: The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
THE ORIGINAL TV SITCOM FAMILY IS BACK AND FULLY
RESTORED & REMASTERED IN 4K FOR ITS 70th ANNIVERSARY

THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET™
SEASONS 1 & 2

The Long-Running and Beloved Series About the Real-Life Nelson Family Arrives For The First Time Ever on Digital Platforms and As a Two Multi-DVD Sets From MPI on June 21, 2022

The Entire Series Has Been Restored From The Original 35mm Picture And Sound Elements In Association With The UCLA Film & Television Archive​
O_HSeason1Cover-300dpiRGB.jpeg
OzzieHarrietDVDS2.jpeg
THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET
Seasons 1 & 2

The Long-Running and Beloved Series About the Real-Life Nelson Family Arrives For The First Time Ever on Digital Platforms and As a Two Multi-DVD Sets From MPI on June 21, 2022

The Entire Series Has Been Restored From The Original 35mm Picture And Sound Elements In Association With The UCLA Film & Television Archive​

One of the most popular series in television history will return fully restored to entertain old fans and new viewers when THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET: SEASONS 1 AND 2 arrive on four-DVD sets from MPI Media Group on June 21, 2022. The two sets contain 39 episodes each, representing the complete first two seasons (78 episodes) of the long-running sitcom ranked number 6 on Vulture’s list of “The 50 Most Definitive Family TV Shows.” The entire library of The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet has been restored by MPI Media Group from the original 35mm picture and sound elements in association with the UCLA Film & Television Archive, which preserves the elements on behalf of the Nelson family.

For a record-breaking 14 seasons and 435 episodes, THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET aired on ABC-TV from 1952 through 1966, becoming one of the most cherished cultural touchstones of the 20th century. The positive, wholesome series epitomized an idyllic American 1950s lifestyle, its gentle humor brought to the screen by the real-life Nelson family: Ozzie and wife Harriet with their sons, David and Rick, all portraying themselves in a trend-setting blend of fact-meets-fiction comedy decades before Seinfeld and other semi-reality-based shows.

The series humorously chronicled the daily lives of the Nelsons as David and Ricky grew up before millions of weekly viewers. While Ozzie Nelson had been a real-life bandleader and Harriet Nelson a singer, the series would help launch the musical career of their younger son, Ricky, who would become a teen idol with such enduring hits as “Travelin’ Man” and “Hello Mary Lou.”
THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET was the longest running live-action sitcom in U.S. television history until It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia surpassed it on December 1, 2021, when that series debuted its 15th season. But OZZIE AND HARRIET still holds the record for most episodes produced: 435. Among its Emmy nominations and many other accolades, TV Guide placed Ozzie Nelson at number 21 on its list of “50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time.”
And now, for the very first time, in association with the Nelson family, the entire series has been digitally restored for its 70th Anniversary with complete episodes from the original film negatives for superior picture quality.

The OFFICIAL COMPLETE SEASON ONE contains all 39 full, fun-filled episodes on four DVDs, starting with the premiere show and other rare adventures not seen on television in decades. Don DeFore (Hazel) appears as Ozzie’s neighbor pal Thorny along with guest stars from classic television and films, including Hal Smith (The Andy Griffith Show), Ellen Corby (The Waltons), Janet Waldo (The Jetsons), Joseph Kearns (Dennis the Menace), Frank Nelson (I Love Lucy) and other familiar faces. The OFFICIAL COMPLETE SEASON TWO also contains 39 episodes – with more lost moments appearing for the first time since originally broadcast – on four discs and features such guest stars as Frank Cady (Petticoat Junction), John Carradine (The Munsters) and Lurene Tuttle (Psycho).

# # #

THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET: SEASONS 1 AND 2
Release date: June 21, 2022
DVD SRP: $29.98 each
Running time: 990 minutes each (4 discs each set)
Language: English
Not rated​

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I am wondering if any of these early episodes will be the rebroadcasts that aired a few years after they were originally on. Example: I watched the second season episode David's 17th Birthday. Both my collection from Ebay and the Time Life set was the rebroadcast out in 1960(it was originally aired in 1953). By the way, for comparison sake, my 1 set contained everything including the Kodak commercial halfway through the episode. The Time Life had most everything including Ricky singing "Glory Train", Ozzie's intro to the rebroadcast and his Easter Seals promo however the 1 Kodak commercial was missing along with the announcer saying this is an ABC Television Network Presentation at the end.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
AFAIK, they went back and assembled the original airing broadcasts, sometimes having to use 16mm prints in instances where Ozzie cut the 35mm negatives.
Thanks, Neil for the info. I did read about that someplace one time. I always wondered why Ozzie cut the 35mm negatives.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks, Neil for the info. I did read about that someplace one time. I always wondered why Ozzie cut the 35mm negatives.
Cutting the negatives was not an unusual practice when preparing network shows for syndication early on. CBS made cuts in the negatives of I Love Lucy episodes to remove references to Philip Morris cigarettes as well as the original animated opens and did not save the cuts. To put together the first two seasons complete as originally broadcast for bluray release the cut parts had to be restored from 16mm delay prints.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Cutting the negatives was not an unusual practice when preparing network shows for syndication early on. CBS made cuts in the negatives of I Love Lucy episodes to remove references to Philip Morris cigarettes as well as the original animated opens and did not save the cuts. To put together the first two seasons complete as originally broadcast for bluray release the cut parts had to be restored from 16mm delay prints.
It is unfortunate the cuts weren't saved. It must cause a lot of extra work to have restorations made from 16mm.

An Elvis Fan

Agent
Real Name
Thomas Widener
Not sure if anyone else in this thread has mentioned this, but seasons 3 & 4 are also available for preorder, although a bit higher price-wise on Amazon at $29.99 each. I've not found any info about this, but I'm assuming that none of these sets have the original commercials. I was hoping they would have, but I guess you can't have everything. So happy these are being released though!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I’ve ordered all four seasons. If MPI had to deal with UCLA Film Library , I’m sure their expenditure was significant. So I’m supporting their work in hopes the entire series will see the light if day.
If MPI does well with O&H , I’ll bet , we’ll see other classic series from them.
Remember a while back MPI announced an upcoming release if Love That Bob Complete Series, but for some reason it never materialized.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I used to watch Bachelor Father while I was getting ready for school. I'd love to have those DVDs, as well as Nanny and the Professor, Our Miss Brooks, Private Secretary, The Gale Storm Show, and The Ann Sothern Show.
SHOUT was doing so great with the oldies wonder why they stopped

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks