What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
1713417228597.png

1713417289276.png

1713417321179.png

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I don't know about other networks but CBS had been getting complaints that their teasers were too violent (especially on Mannix) so in 1972 all teasers were eliminated from hour crime series. This included Mission: Impossible, Cannon, Mannix, Gunsmoke and Hawaii Five-0 (always with a zero).
CBS brought back teasers in 1976 but as 30-second previews rather than full scenes.
Thanks much for responding. Speaking specifically about The FBI TV series, episodes from seasons 1-7 begin with a scene that gets the story started before the opening titles roll. Then beginning with season 8 in 1972-73, prior to the opening titles, episodes begin with a few teaser scenes that are seen again later in the episode as it goes along. It's not really a big deal, doesn't ruin the enjoyment of the episodes but I personally am not fond of this change.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Thanks much for responding. Speaking specifically about The FBI TV series, episodes from seasons 1-7 begin with a scene that gets the story started before the opening titles roll. Then beginning with season 8 in 1972-73, prior to the opening titles, episodes begin with a few teaser scenes that are seen again later in the episode as it goes along. It's not really a big deal, doesn't ruin the enjoyment of the episodes but I personally am not fond of this change.

Me either-- OT, Emergency! on NBC did it right (at least in the series): cold opens that could be as short as 2 min., or as long as 10 (depending on how each week's episode was structured). The only time the later-style teasers were used, IIRC, is in the six post-series TV movies in 1978 and 1979.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Me either-- OT, Emergency! on NBC did it right (at least in the series): cold opens that could be as short as 2 min., or as long as 10 (depending on how each week's episode was structured). The only time the later-style teasers were used, IIRC, is in the six post-series TV movies in 1978 and 1979.
There's an episode of Emergency! from the 6th season DVD, I think it's the episode titled Welcome To Santa Rosa County, that does not begin with an opening scene, instead the episode starts off with the opening titles. I don't know if this was done in error as the DVD set was being produced or if the episode originally aired that way.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
There's an episode of Emergency! from the 6th season, I think it's the episode titled Welcome To Santa Rosa County, that does not begin with an opening scene, instead the episode starts off with the opening titles. I don't know if this was done in error as the DVD set was being produced or if the episode originally aired that way.

And that wasn't the only place-- I neglected to mention that also one of the post-series movies has no teaser: The Greatest Rescues of Emergency! (probably no need for it anyway, because all that was was a clip show about 20 or 30 rescues that John and Roy were involved in over the 6 seasons of that NBC medical/action series).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CashaMurphy231
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale