What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What was on his mind? Incredible!

dude!

Time...

Management...

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I dont know that Shanahan messed up per se, but when KC scored to make it 20-17, the 49ers quick 3 and out didnt seem like a very well thought out series.

Also, not calling a time out before the half cost him valuable time and a potential score.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Shanahan seemed more concerned with burning clock than scoring points. At the end of the first half, he still had all his timeouts and could have stopped the clock to give them about 1:40 with two timeouts to try and score (possibly doubling up, as they'd get the second half kickoff, as well). Instead he just let KC run the clock all the way down.

You'd think after the last two rounds of playoffs, he'd know that no lead is safe from KC and should score as many points as possible.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I dont know that Shanahan messed up per se, but when KC scored to make it 20-17, the 49ers quick 3 and out didnt seem like a very well thought out series.
That's what I was referring to. His unbelievably inept time management and play calling (is he the OC as well? I don't recall) during that possession was a major factor in giving away the game. It's a revisit of the unbelievably bad series he had four years ago(?) with the Falcons. All they had to do was NOT lose any yards, kick a field goal and put the game out of reach. Instead, he called a similar series of plays as today and went backward out of field goal range. The Patriots tied (I believe) on the final play of regulation and won in overtime. That series might not have mattered in the end, but he gave them zero chance. I don't think they even ran off a minute of time. I don't know, maybe this is a type of strategy that escapes others, but it was crystal clear to me at that moment, he handled that one extremely critical possession about as poorly as could be done.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Shanahan seemed more concerned with burning clock than scoring points. At the end of the first half, he still had all his timeouts and could have stopped the clock to give them about 1:40 with two timeouts to try and score (possibly doubling up, as they'd get the second half kickoff, as well). Instead he just let KC run the clock all the way down.
That too. another example of unbelievably incompetent time management. Even John Lynch was calling for a time out from the box.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just reviewed the last couple of minutes of the first half and I don’t think it was as egregious as some of you regarding the timeouts and the final result.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Even Lynch wanted him to use a time out. They had a camera on him and he was emphatically doing the TO hand gesture with a little under 2 minutes left.

He played it conservatively and just let the clock run down when he could have been aggressive and tried to score before the half.
Then gets the ball again to start the second half.
New England won a SB by doing just that against the Eagles in ‘04.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even Lynch wanted him to use a time out. They had a camera on him and he was emphatically doing the TO hand gesture with a little under 2 minutes left.

He played it conservatively and just let the clock run down when he could have been aggressive and tried to score before the half.
Then gets the ball again to start the second half.
New England won a SB by doing just that against the Eagles in ‘04.
They were still on the other end of the field as there was a chess match going on between Reid and Shanahan regarding using timeouts at that point of the game. Anyhow, that's my take so I'm done arguing this point of contention. On another topic, I thought the Groundhog Day commercial with Bill Murray was pretty funny.:)

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
After the Kittle OPI they took a knee. Another 30-40 seconds could have been 3 or 4 plays and a potential score.

In most games it might not have been too egregious. But in the Superbowl, against a team with two 20+ come from behind wins in the playoffs, it was a big mistake.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
And yes, I liked the groundhog day commercial.

The Snickers hole made me laugh too.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Huge mistake.
He didn’t give his team a chance to go down field and score.
Having three time outs and almost 2 minutes is a lot of time even at 80 yards away and he just let the clock run.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Huge mistake.
He didn’t give his team a chance to go down field and score.
Having three time outs and almost 2 minutes is a lot of time even at 80 yards away and he just let the clock run.
It sounds like you're unhappy as an Eagles fan that Andy Reid finally won the big one.;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
No. I’m very happy.
I’m glad he won.

it’s a little ironic for me to see Andy do a good job with time outs and the opposing coach not so much.

In the past Andy has been notorious for mismanaging them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's funny how fans expect coaches/managers to be perfect with their in-game decisions yet players make more mistakes than they do and the players lack of execution is more of a reason why teams lose a game than a coach's decision.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I should be more clear about when SF should have used a to or two

KC punted and SF got the ball with about 1 minute left.
If they call 1 even on 3rd or 4 th down for KC
They have maybe another 30 seconds to work with instead of less then 60.
Other then Reid I don’t have a team in this so I’m just thinking of clock management and stragety.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks