What's new

Legends of Tomorrow (Season 4) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not one of my favorite episodes, but there was nevertheless a lot to love.

Another really fun episode. I suspect after this we won't see many team members messing with their pasts.
Hopefully not. I do think it was smart to make Zari one of the three Legends experiencing the cascade of fractured timelines. Ever since she joined the team, Zari has wanted to use the Waverider to change history and save her family. She's followed the team's hardwon rule, but very begrudgingly. Seeing what a disaster it was for the universe in general and for the two perpetrators specifically, she now really has to get it in a way that she couldn't have before.

This disaster is what's keeping the team from participating in the Arrowverse crossover next week (that and too many actors to juggle for a story).
Brilliant throwaway line about nobody answering their calls being the reason "Legends" skipped the crossover event this year.

Is that feral guy that Mona likes supposed to be a DC character? He reminds me of Wolverine. Wasn't there a Teen Titan way back in the 60s that was a caveman? Is this that guy?
He's a Kaupe, a magical monster from Hawaiian folklore: a malevolent spirit that calls out to people at night to lure them to their deaths.

If Charlie gets her shape-shifting powers back, what does that mean for Maisie Richardson-Sellers? I suspect she won't be getting them back.
The ending seemed to make it pretty clear that she accepted the consequences of Constantine restoring the timeline. And this episode already parsed the fact that she went back to the Amaya look for her resting state because that's what she looked like when she became a Legend. So if she does get her powers restored for good at some point down the line, It'd still make sense that she'd stick with Amaya's face unless the mission required a different one.

My gosh, where to start. Hilarity at the three "episodes" featuring members of the team in new personas (the screen credits made me burst out laughing). The funny dismissal of their non-participation in the crossover event. The BIG surprise reveal at the end. Great show.
Any episode that parodies The A-Team, Charlie's Angels, and Fraggle Rock and does it well is alright in my book.

The only thing that sucks is that we'll have to wait until April for the back half of the season.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It was a riot. Really, an enjoyable episode from beginning to end. But there is also the fact that the show is a total comedy now, and it is very far in tone from its cousins, Flash, Supergirl and especially Arrow (which could use some of Legends' levity). For the remainder of the season, I'd like to see some balance in the comedy and drama.

(Really? April? Wow, a long way off.)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was a little fearful for its fate looking at its ratings this season. This makes me breathe a little easier.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just a reminder that after a (very) extended hiatus, "Legends of Tomorrow" returns tonight at a new time of 8/7c.

My DVR's guide listings had the episode incorrectly flagged as a repeat, so you might need to set the episode to manually record.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I know I sound like a broken record, but I watch these shows for the adventures, not the angsty romance among the regulars. So another Sara break-up. I guess fans get invested in these personal love stories, but I just find them so much excess baggage when I'm there for the high adventure and comedy.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It is such a terrible cliche at this point, but every romantic relationship in every show is fodder for the writers. You can count on every one of them to break up and/or reunite at least once a season. The CW is worse than most when it comes to this, but absolutely everyone does it. I thought they'd at least let Oliver and Felicity be a happily married couple after more breakups than I can count, but no. They went through just as many ups and downs after they were married. I always complain that TV and movie writers mine the death of characters for easy drama (what's easier drama than death?) but mining romantic relationships is just lazy writing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"WHERE'S MY NIPPLE??????"

I know I sound like a broken record, but I watch these shows for the adventures, not the angsty romance among the regulars. So another Sara break-up. I guess fans get invested in these personal love stories, but I just find them so much excess baggage when I'm there for the high adventure and comedy.
I agree with you on this show more than most, because the relationship stuff feels so ordinary and generic in a way that pulls you away from the bonkers fun happening elsewhere. Unfortunately, the Sara-Ava (Avalance) shippers are a huge (and hugely vocal) contingent of the show's fanbase, to the point where the writers feel the need to cater to them.

I thought "Arrow" got similarly derailed when the Oliver-Felicity shippers got their way.

I always complain that TV and movie writers mine the death of characters for easy drama (what's easier drama than death?) but mining romantic relationships is just lazy writing.
I'm also not sure I bought Ava being on board with the torture of innocent creatures. That was a fight with a clear moral right and a clear moral wrong.

The one upside is it gets the Legends out from under the Time Bureau. They should always be renegades on some level, not a dispatch unit for a bureaucracy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This wasn't a great episode, but there was still a lot of fun to be had. Paul Ganus made for one of the better Nixon portrayals I've seen, even though all of the material he was given was completely ridiculous.

This episode was set in November 16-17 1973, in the hours immediately leading up to Nixon's infamous press conference at the Contemporary Resort inside Walt Disney World (then just two years old). Whenever they do episodes tied into specific events in history like this, I'm struck about how weird it is to do a time travel show on a completely different Earth than ours, with pretty massive differences in history. There is no Central City or Star City or Gotham City in our United States, so what are the odds that not only would Richard Nixon become president on Earth-1, but that he'd hold the same press conference in the same location on the same day?

Tom Wilson is great as Nate's father. A straight-up villain isn't as interesting as a villain who thinks he's doing the right thing, and then has doubts and reservations.

Ray getting pulled over by the cops is my everything.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One of my least favorite tropes in a dramatic series: a mild-mannered person with a BIG secret hems and haws on several occasions trying to spit out something that is of VITAL importance to people he/she likes and wants respect from, and no one EVER attempts to listen or pull it out of him/her. It's a lazy, infuriating writer's tactic that I just can't stand. I wanted to knock Mona to the back of the bus for not just SAYING what she wanted to say, and to be completely dismissed over and over again by Sara instead of Sara saying, "All Right. What's SO important," just leaves me cold. Kept me from truly enjoying much of the episode. Ray and Mick were some consolation but not enough.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This was a fun episode, but one problem with the show that's developed is that the writers seem so intent on having fun that they often have the characters act out of type or do things that don't make sense, fall into common tropes (as Matt says above), and so on.

GlennC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
Legends used to be my favorite of the Arrowverse shows and a really fun show. I am afraid that it is now a poor shadow of its former self. I find all the relationship stuff tedious, repetitious and boring. I hate all the Time Bureau stuff too.

Whereas the show's stories used to be daft but still entertaining to watch; they have now resorted to just being silly and unforgivably not actually funny.

Unfortunately I am almost at the point of giving up watching.

GlennC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
Another sub-par episode for me. I find the Mona character was fine in small doses but she is now in it far too much and I just think she is annoying.

And yet again; more time wasting with the four female leads standing around talking on the ship.

Is it to much to ask to have some actual adventure and to be entertaining?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I loved Mona in the early episodes, because she was so weird. But now she's yet another character that just stands around talking about her feelings. And they've yet to do a single interesting thing with her werewolf side.

They continue to push the Nate/Zari thing, and it continues to not play.

The only redeeming thing in the episode for me was the reveal that Nate's dad's big nefarious plan was to open an amusement park. Tom Wilson will be missed; he's been great this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks