What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Watching the XFL game between the Tampa Bay Vipers and New York Guardians. As much as I think these other leagues can’t compete with the NFL, the XFL has a good idea on the kickoff- it would definitely reduce high impact injuries. Let’s hope the NFL in its arrogance would consider adopting what the XFL is doing, and not discard the kickoff.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Watching the XFL game between the Tampa Bay Vipers and New York Guardians. As much as I think these other leagues can’t compete with the NFL, the XFL has a good idea on the kickoff- it would definitely reduce high impact injuries. Let’s hope the NFL in its arrogance would consider adopting what the XFL is doing, and not discard the kickoff.
I have not watched any XFL games. What are they doing with the kickoff?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have not watched any XFL games. What are they doing with the kickoff?
The kicking team’s kicker is at his own 30. The tacklers are at the opponent’s 35, and the blockers for the receiving team are at their own 30. Nobody moves until the receiver touches the ball. My gut reaction to when I saw this was I like it- this will greatly reduce high speed collisions that lead to possible concussions, and the play still sort of resembles a kickoff.

BTW, I watched the first half of that game ONLY
because the game was on at a BWW- I wouldn’t have watched it otherwise.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I mostly liked the XFL games I saw. The kickoff procedure was fine, and seems to allow for more/longer returns.

Funny that they touted the games would move faster and be shorter with their clock rules and only two timeouts per half, but the games I watched all still seemed to go over 3 hours. The 25-sec play clock might shorten the games if they didn't extend the last two minutes of each half by stopping the clock after every single play.

I would get rid of the 1-point conversion from the 2-yard line. Just have the 2 and 3-point conversions from the 5 and 10.

There also seemed to be less offense than they were hoping for. The over/under on all the games was in the low 50's. I think only one game actually went over 50 points scored.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
BTW, I watched the first half of that game ONLY
because the game was on at a BWW- I wouldn’t have watched it otherwise.

An XFL game was playing at the bar we were at in Key West last night (Willie T's), but I didn't pay any attention to it. Why would I - - we are in Key West? :rock:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, in Vegas he'd be in the same division as KC, which is likely to dominate the division for years barring any injury to Mahomes, or a massive regression in his skill set.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
If true then the Raiders are being run by Gruden as incompetently as the last years under Al Davis.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-to-offer-tom-brady-two-year-60-million-deal/

It's been reported for a while now that the Raiders and the Chargers want a chance to make Brady an offer. I sort of understand why the Chargers would do this, they are desperate to sell tickets. I don't see this making any sense for the Raiders. It has also been a rumor that if they don't land Brady the Raiders would make an offer to Rivers...which I also find pointless and ridiculous as Rivers would never play in Las Vegas. That is laughable. Rivers and his family now live in Florida and so I think the favored landing spot for him could be Tampa Bay if they let Winston go.

The Patriots have come out and said they would pay Brady over 30 million...how much over I have no idea...on probably a one year deal. Gruden does seem serious about Brady but I can't imagine why.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It's been reported for a while now that the Raiders and the Chargers want a chance to make Brady an offer. I sort of understand why the Chargers would do this, they are desperate to sell tickets. I don't see this making any sense for the Raiders. It has also been a rumor that if they don't land Brady the Raiders would make an offer to Rivers...which I also find pointless and ridiculous as Rivers would never play in Las Vegas. That is laughable. Rivers and his family now live in Florida and so I think the favored landing spot for him could be Tampa Bay if they let Winston go.

The Patriots have come out and said they would pay Brady over 30 million...how much over I have no idea...on probably a one year deal. Gruden does seem serious about Brady but I can't imagine why.
It makes no sense for Brady to play for the Voldemorts, if he really wants another SB title.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Scuttlebutt is the league will expand the playoffs when a new CBA is reached. In some cases, more isn’t better- it’s just more. I hate how the
powers that be are ruining both baseball and the
NFL.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It makes no sense for Brady to play for the Voldemorts, if he really wants another SB title.

I think when the Patriots said they would pay Brady 30 million plus that was a signal he likely would remain a Patriot. However they also then said they would only begin contract talks with him once he had the chance to explore the market. Since they said that the Raiders, Chargers, Buccaneers, and Titans have all expressed interest to different degrees. Other teams have openly removed themselves, like the Broncos, with Elway stating he is all in on Lock and has no interest in Brady.

I don't think the Chargers make sense for Tom in that yes, I doubt they will be contenders next season. The Raiders may have been somewhere he would go when they were in Oakland but I seriously doubt he would move to Las Vegas. So, that sort of leaves the Bucs and Titans. Now, Brady on the Titans is interesting. I don't think he would go to Tampa Bay.

Vrabel, I think. believes he can lure Brady to the Titans. I think if he tries and the team offers Brady a two or three year deal, something I think the Patriots may not do, in that 30 million range...well...they would pose the biggest threat to Tom staying in a Patriots uniform.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
In other QB news the Panthers claim that Cam Newton will be their starting QB once he returns from his foot injury which they say will likely be several months from now.

Truth here seems to be that nobody expressed interest in trading for Cam because his injury status is uncertain and the Panthers may end up having to keep him for at least another season or two. Meaning they are eyeing QBs in the draft and so could grab a guy like Jordan Love, who seems to be flying up draft charts and along with Jake Eason may be a sure thing in round 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks