What's new

2020-2021 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Which team will win more games and have the most success this season?

• New England Patriots

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another interesting list I saw today. Here are the 4th QBs taken in each draft going back to 2000. It's not a pretty list. Between this, the lousy history of Ohio State QBs in the NFL, and being selected by the Bears -- the franchise with the worst collection of QBs during the Super Bowl era -- Justin Fields has a lot to overcome.

2021 - Justin Fields
2020 - Jordan Love
2019 - Drew Lock
2018 - Josh Rosen
2017 - DeShone Kizer
2016 - Christian Hackenberg
2015 - Sean Mannion
2014 - Derek Carr
2013 - Matt Barkley
2012 - Brandon Weeden
2011 - Christian Ponder
2010 - Colt McCoy
2009 - Pat White
2008 - Chad Henne
2007 - John Beck
2006 - Kellen Clemens
2005 - Charlie Frye
2004 - J.P. Losman
2003 - Rex Grossman
2002 - Josh McCown
2001 - Marques Tuiasosopo
2000 - Tee Martin

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Another interesting list I saw today. Here are the 4th QBs taken in each draft going back to 2000. It's not a pretty list. Between this, the lousy history of Ohio State QBs in the NFL, and being selected by the Bears -- the franchise with the worst collection of QBs during the Super Bowl era -- Justin Fields has a lot to overcome.

2021 - Justin Fields
2020 - Jordan Love
2019 - Drew Lock
2018 - Josh Rosen
2017 - DeShone Kizer
2015 - Sean Mannion
2014 - Derek Carr
2013 - Matt Barkley
2012 - Brandon Weeden
2011 - Christian Ponder
2010 - Colt McCoy
2009 - Pat White
2008 - Chad Henne
2007 - John Beck
2006 - Kellen Clemens
2005 - Charlie Frye
2004 - J.P. Losman
2003 - Rex Grossman
2002 - Josh McCown
2000 - Tee Martin

I think that over the last decade, and it has gotten progressively worse, the general consensus in the NFL is that you should reach for a QB. So, if there is a guy there "you like" despite the fact that he is rated below a lot of other players, you take him because QB is such a valuable position. I think they came to this conclusion because a small group of QBs dominated the NFL over a number of years.

In this environment drafting QBs is now sort of out of control. The fact is coming into this draft there were for some time only two QBs that were considered first round quality QBs, Lawrence and Fields. Suddenly as the draft drew closer Zach Wilson and Trey Lance shot up draft boards. So did Mac Jones based on many people calling him the next "Tom Brady" which just seems insane to me. Now they are calling this draft the greatest since Elway and Marino came into the league. I have to say I doubt that.

Reading down that list I have a couple thoughts. Love we have yet to see what he can do he has not played but it sure is looking like he may be the Packers starter in 2021. Rodgers appears to have closed the door on his Green Bay career despite what some people are trying to say now as he backtracks from where he was because it turned into a PR nightmare for him.

Lock has yet to look special in Denver which is why they appear the favorite to land Rodgers at the moment.

Rosen is a sad case in that when Arizona drafted him they were just an awful team and he had no shot. Plus they gave up on him after a single season. Then he is traded to Miami right as they are dumping players right and left to do a full rebuild and they are the worst team in the league while he is there with probably the worst roster of offensive talent. He does a short stint in Tampa and then is shipped off to the 49ers. Shanahan is a good QB guy but my guess is Rosen's confidence is shot at this point. Four teams in three seasons and two of them arguably the worst teams in the league....that would ruin almost any player.

I do think he is the poster boy, along with guys like Sam Darnold and Andrew Luck, that demonstrates what playing for a horrible team can do to you. QB is a tough position and honestly even good college players are not cut out for it in the NFL.

There is a good documentary called The Brady Six that shows what happened to the QBs that were drafted before Tom when he went last. Top talent evaluators including Bill Walsh liked a kid named Giovanni Carmazzi way more than Tom Brady, whose scouting report was a total disaster. Carmazzi had the better arm, was a better athlete, did all kinds of things better than Tom including improvising when a play broke down according to all these genius football people.

But when the lights were on and these QBs have to do it on the big stage...well...Brady was right at home and nothing phased him. Steve Mariucci believes just one game ruined Carmazzi and it happened to be a preseason game against the Patriots. He feels Carmazzi was so destroyed by playing so bad he just could not recover. I do think loss of confidence is a huge factor in QB failure.

I also just think Brady walked into a great situation with a coach that would be perfect for him having success. I think as rare as great QBs are, great coaches are just as rare if not more rare.

How Lawrence or Wilson or Fields do will depend upon how the Jags, Jets, and Bears do in developing them, their confidence, and the teams around them. They all have to do their own work and follow Brady...work harder than everybody else. Brady did have some luck in where he ended up but once he was there...nobody outworked him.

Mac Jones now gets to try to "be the next Brady" but he needs to start by outworking every other player...that's what Brady did.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

2021 - Justin Fields
2020 - Jordan Love
2019 - Drew Lock
2018 - Josh Rosen
2017 - DeShone Kizer
2015 - Sean Mannion
2014 - Derek Carr
2013 - Matt Barkley
2012 - Brandon Weeden
2011 - Christian Ponder
2010 - Colt McCoy
2009 - Pat White
2008 - Chad Henne
2007 - John Beck
2006 - Kellen Clemens
2005 - Charlie Frye
2004 - J.P. Losman
2003 - Rex Grossman
2002 - Josh McCown
2000 - Tee Martin
Right not, I see one above average starting NFL QB in the bunch. Am I being bias is saying it is Derek Carr?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Right not, I see one above average starting NFL QB in the bunch. Am I being bias is saying it is Derek Carr?
No, you are not being biased at all. The 2nd best QB on that list after Carr (not counting Fields and Love, who we don't know about yet) is either Chad Henne or Josh McCown. That's pretty sad.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So, Urban Meyer thinks that Tim Tebow can help the Jags as a tight end. Tebow is 33 years old, hasn't been on the field in 9 years, and has never played the position. :rolleyes:

I think I am going to write Meyer and ask for a tryout at place kicker. After all, I played soccer in high school. It makes almost as much sense as signing Tebow. :laugh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, Urban Meyer thinks that Tim Tebow can help the Jags as a tight end. Tebow is 33 years old, hasn't been on the field in 9 years, and has never played the position. :rolleyes:

I think I am going to write Meyer and ask for a tryout at place kicker. After all, I played soccer in high school. It makes almost as much sense as signing Tebow. :laugh:
I kind of laughed out loud when I heard about that report.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

I think there is a damn good chance that Tebow does not make the roster. Not sure it is a stunt, but it may be an intentional distraction to take the focus off his rookie QB and allow him to develop under a slightly less glaring spotlight. It seems a bigger story to sports media that Tebow is playing TE (at the bottom of the depth chart, he is third or fourth or even fifth string) than Lawrence coming in and probably being handed the starting position.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I heard on my local sports talk channel during a commercial break 1 minute commentary that suggested TEBO is only trying to get back in to get his lifetime nfl pension.

He only needs to be dressed for three more games to get it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Could Rodgers get two first round picks, a second round pick and a key player in return? I don’t think so- too much to give up for a QB who’ll be 40 soon, and who has had injuries.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Could Rodgers get two first round picks, a second round pick and a key player in return? I don’t think so- too much to give up for a QB who’ll be 40 soon, and who has had injuries.
That would be a lot to give up, but QB trade values are all over the place. I was surprised at what the Lions got for Stafford -- of course, they took on Goff's contract, which the Rams were desperate to unload. If the Packers could find another team with a contract they want to unload, too, they may be able to pull it off.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
That would be a lot to give up, but QB trade values are all over the place. I was surprised at what the Lions got for Stafford -- of course, they took on Goff's contract, which the Rams were desperate to unload. If the Packers could find another team with a contract they want to unload, too, they may be able to pull it off.
Here’s the problem with a Rodgers trade scenario- he’d have to go to a team that has most things in place to win, but lacks a real QB and no young QB option. Not many teams that fit- maybe Denver? They have Lock, who hasn’t completed a whole season’s worth of games yet due to injury and COVID, but I’ve seen others comment that Lock is unlikely to be the answer for the Broncos.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, I'm sure the Packers have had plenty of discussion over what they would want for him. The early word was their asking price for him was very high which caused teams to back off.

Basically, since the entire NFC appears to be off limits Rodgers only landing spot would be an AFC team. The Broncos, Raiders, and Dolphins come up the most. Rodgers, it is said, wants to go to a team on the West Coast or at least in that direction...hence the Broncos and Raiders being two teams he supposedly would be alright with. No idea how he feels about the Dolphins.

In terms of cost to get Rodgers, well, he claims he wants to play into his 40s. He turns 37 I think late in the season. He played excellent last season so he seems in good shape. I think the thing that needs to be considered is he makes the Broncos, Raiders, or Dolphins a likely playoff team if he joins any of them. So, the cost will probably be based on that.

The Dolphins I believe have the most ammo in terms of trading for him. Not sure what the Broncos or Raiders would offer. With Denver it would probably have to be draft choices and a player or players and likely not one of their current QBs. With the Raiders I would guess they would try to put Carr in the deal because if they get Rodgers Carr is gone. Problem there is I don't think the Packers would want Carr and so they likely would want some kind of similar compensation to what the Broncos would need to offer. Carr would probably be traded elsewhere but the Raiders, if they were going for Rodgers, would probably try to move Carr first. If they don't they likely would not get much for Carr.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Rodgers is probably sick of playing in Lambeau in the dead of winter. I believe he lives in California during the off-season, and his charitable donations during his stint on Jeopardy! were donated to a California charity, rather than one in Wisconsin/Green Bay.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For the second season in a row, I'm getting the NFL Sunday Ticket Max free from DirecTV. I think this is the last season that DirecTV has the exclusive rights to that NFL package. Anyhow, I wasn't going to buy it this season because I'm watching less sports now, but a freebie is always welcome in my house.:)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For the second season in a row, I'm getting the NFL Sunday Ticket Max free from DirecTV. I think this is the last season that DirecTV has the exclusive rights to that NFL package. Anyhow, I wasn't going to buy it this season because I'm watching less sports now, but a freebie is always welcome in my house.:)
Congratulations. I was a DTV subscriber for many, many years and every year I’d go thru the ritual of getting ST for free. I’d call and I’d get turned down, usually by a male csr, and I’d call again. Usually I’d get it by the third or fourth call, usually by a female csr. They wouldn’t give it to me free, but they would credit my account for the monthly amount. Sometimes the credit was more than what ST cost.

Then ATT bought them and things started to change. Before ATT, I was always able to negotiate a significant discount, not just on ST, but on my bill. Not after ATT. DTV prices without a discount are absurd. Finally, when a CSR said “we don’t do that anymore”, I decided to cut the cord (or satellite signal). I cancelled as of a date and signed up for xfinity and a TiVo. Then DTV called to try and keep me and all of a sudden they want to negotiate. They offered discounted rates and were going to give me $200. Trouble is, I had already bought two TiVo’s and they were already in the house. They were almost apoplectic when I told them about the last csr who said “we don’t do that anymore.”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks