1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Off-season 2019

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Reggie W, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I saw that here. It sounds like wild speculation at this point. I know one thing if this happens -- it will be the final nail in the coffin of me participating in the long time fantasy football league I'm in with some friends. Our league's 20th anniversary is this year, and I have been contemplating quitting for a couple of years, as it's not as much fun as it used to be. This change would push me into leaving, as it would be too much planning for three bye weeks for each player -- with you only knowing one of the weeks at the draft.

Since gambling is a big part of what drives interest in the NFL, I cannot imagine that this would get approved, as it would really complicate betting on games and fantasy football.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Seems like it would essentially just extend the pre-season level of football for two more games, as if I was a coach I'd most likely sit my stars for the first two games of the season to ensure availability at the end of the season when playoff seeds are at stake.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Hell, they're doing that in the NBA and MLB now in which players are not playing the entire schedule of games. I get the fact that the NFL season only has a fraction of the games in those other sports, but the physical toll on NFL players is much greater too which is why I believe something like this might happen.

4. Scott Merryfield

I don't think that it they way it would be handled. First, that would require each team to carry their preseason roster sizes through the first few weeks, which the NFL would frown upon. Second, there would be a huge negative fan reaction to the first few weeks -- season ticket holders already hate being forced to buy tickets to preseason games, and now would be asked to buy tickets to early season inferior games. As a fan, I ignore the preseason games, and with this tactic I would also ignore the first few weeks of the regular season. The more the fans ignore games, the easier it is to ignore more and more.

More likely, the league would increase roster sizes by 4 or 5 players. That would mean teams would be forced to spread out each player's "bye weeks". It also better takes advantage of the inevitable injuries, as many players will sit out their two games due to injuries anyway.

5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    If it’s true, this is the very definition of greed. Jeez, what about the quarterback. For most teams there’s a significant drop-of in talent from starter to backup.

Scott Merryfield and Jeffrey D like this.
  6. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I like this idea much better:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2019/nfl-owners-float-another-18-game-season-proposal

7. Scott Merryfield

That would be a great idea -- even better would be if the league also eliminated two more preseason games, but that will never happen wihthout an 18 game regular season schedule because of the money. Although I would bet if the league surveyed the season ticket holders, those people would overwhelmingly be in favor of paying the same bulk price for their tickets even with one less preseason game. That wouldn't cover the lost revenue from concessions and TV broadcast rights, but it would be a start, and I don't think there are very many people out there who actually like watching the preseason games anyway.

The league would easily make up any lost revenue from one less preseason game when the NFL Sunday Ticket comes up for renewal in a couple of years anyway. It looks like DirecTV will no longer have exclusive rights, and I'll bet the NFL rakes in a huge increase by adding some streaming services to the package.