What's new

NFL Off-season 2019 (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I really hope this isn’t true- a talking head on Mad Dog Radio (I think it was Steve Torre) brought up the 18 game schedule on today’s show. He said the league wants it, and as a concession to the players association, the owners might put a 16 game limit on every player. This is assinine- what sport would force the best players to miss regular season games?
This makes no sense, and I hope this is just spitballing.
I saw that here. It sounds like wild speculation at this point. I know one thing if this happens -- it will be the final nail in the coffin of me participating in the long time fantasy football league I'm in with some friends. Our league's 20th anniversary is this year, and I have been contemplating quitting for a couple of years, as it's not as much fun as it used to be. This change would push me into leaving, as it would be too much planning for three bye weeks for each player -- with you only knowing one of the weeks at the draft.

Since gambling is a big part of what drives interest in the NFL, I cannot imagine that this would get approved, as it would really complicate betting on games and fantasy football.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seems like it would essentially just extend the pre-season level of football for two more games, as if I was a coach I'd most likely sit my stars for the first two games of the season to ensure availability at the end of the season when playoff seeds are at stake.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hell, they're doing that in the NBA and MLB now in which players are not playing the entire schedule of games. I get the fact that the NFL season only has a fraction of the games in those other sports, but the physical toll on NFL players is much greater too which is why I believe something like this might happen.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Seems like it would essentially just extend the pre-season level of football for two more games, as if I was a coach I'd most likely sit my stars for the first two games of the season to ensure availability at the end of the season when playoff seeds are at stake.
I don't think that it they way it would be handled. First, that would require each team to carry their preseason roster sizes through the first few weeks, which the NFL would frown upon. Second, there would be a huge negative fan reaction to the first few weeks -- season ticket holders already hate being forced to buy tickets to preseason games, and now would be asked to buy tickets to early season inferior games. As a fan, I ignore the preseason games, and with this tactic I would also ignore the first few weeks of the regular season. The more the fans ignore games, the easier it is to ignore more and more.

More likely, the league would increase roster sizes by 4 or 5 players. That would mean teams would be forced to spread out each player's "bye weeks". It also better takes advantage of the inevitable injuries, as many players will sit out their two games due to injuries anyway.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I really hope this isn’t true- a talking head on Mad Dog Radio (I think it was Steve Torre) brought up the 18 game schedule on today’s show. He said the league wants it, and as a concession to the players association, the owners might put a 16 game limit on every player. This is assinine- what sport would force the best players to miss regular season games?
This makes no sense, and I hope this is just spitballing.
If it’s true, this is the very definition of greed. Jeez, what about the quarterback. For most teams there’s a significant drop-of in talent from starter to backup.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I like this idea much better:

As a somewhat stubborn fan of the existing scheduling formula - which is more predictable and equitable than that in any other major sport - my preferred compromise is simple: Keep the schedule as it is, but bring back the second bye week. Pair that week with Thursday Night Football, so that games with only three days' rest are eliminated in favor of a 10-day break followed by a 9-day break. The TNF package would instantly become more valuable due to the enhanced quality of play, while the season would expand by another week to 18, and everything would still make sense.
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2019/nfl-owners-float-another-18-game-season-proposal

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

That would be a great idea -- even better would be if the league also eliminated two more preseason games, but that will never happen wihthout an 18 game regular season schedule because of the money. Although I would bet if the league surveyed the season ticket holders, those people would overwhelmingly be in favor of paying the same bulk price for their tickets even with one less preseason game. That wouldn't cover the lost revenue from concessions and TV broadcast rights, but it would be a start, and I don't think there are very many people out there who actually like watching the preseason games anyway.

The league would easily make up any lost revenue from one less preseason game when the NFL Sunday Ticket comes up for renewal in a couple of years anyway. It looks like DirecTV will no longer have exclusive rights, and I'll bet the NFL rakes in a huge increase by adding some streaming services to the package.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes the Thursday night games should have a bye
the previous Sunday for the teams that have to play this game- it would help the quality and competitiveness of the game (the home team almost always wins the Thursday game).

I have never understood why DirecTV was given exclusive rights to carry the whole league’s schedule- the golden goose that is the NFL will only get more gold when Dish, cable companies and streaming providers get into the act.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Camps are open, the preseason kicks off on Thursday, so the NFL off-season is officially over. While I think it is too early to make any predictions we do have some idea about what teams will look like and who has emerged as early favorites as well as who will be competing to draft first in 2020.

There are always surprises and injuries to deal with in these preseason games so as we proceed expectations will shift and change.

Are you ready for some football?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.