What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (2 Viewers)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Having heard last night that the Chiefs took it all, this is the culmination of what (IMO) has been a remarkable sports year for me--

--The Washington Nationals take the NL pennant, and the World Series;
--The Alabama Crimson Tide are eliminated from the College Football Playoff by LSU;
--The Patriots are trounced and knocked out by Tennessee;
--and the Chiefs take the AFC title, and win Super Bowl LIV

Unfortunately, couldn't have it perfect, as LSU also trounced Clemson in the CFP National Title Game, but that's in the rearview mirror right now, considering what the Chiefs just did (because I wanted the Chiefs to do it, and do it they did)!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It is kind of ironic that Kyle Shanahan was coaching on the wrong end of the two biggest 4th quarter comebacks in Super Bowl history. I though the Niners defense did a great job containing Mahomes for three quarters, but stopping that offense for an entire game has been impossible throughout the playoffs.

Anyway, I am happy for KC and their fans. It's been a long time between championships for them.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Chiefs were playing like the losing team in the 2nd half, but the 49ers didn’t take advantage. Then Mr. M. Comes to life. Jeez, keep Mahomes healthy with a good supporting cast and the Chiefs could be the Pats of this decade.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Happy to see the Chiefs get the win and glad Andy Reid is now a Super Bowl winning coach and Mahomes is off to a great start to what looks like could be an incredible career.

Best commercial, Bill Murray reuniting with the groundhog.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Interesting Tom Brady rumors...

The Patriots threw out there they are willing to pay him over 30 million to stay in New England next season while both the Raiders and Chargers openly expressed their desire to make him an offer. Obviously Gruden feels that Brady at his age is an upgrade over Carr. The Chargers must feel Rivers is gone (the Colts are expressing real interest in him) as he did move his family to Florida as soon as the season ended.

I think with the 30 million statement the Patriots have pretty much locked up Brady. It would be a surprise now if Brady left the Patriots to go to the Chargers or the Raiders. He would have his money, he is selling his home in Massachusetts but he has homes in both Connecticut and New York and his wife does prefer the East Coast. Plus he obviously stays in the same system that has provided him with so much success.

I also assume Bob and Jonathan Kraft got that 30 million deal out there because that does not at all sound like a Belichick idea. This does make it seem that the reporting that the Krafts told Brady Bill was going to make the decision was...ah...not true or they reversed that rather rapidly.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Chiefs were playing like the losing team in the 2nd half, but the 49ers didn’t take advantage. Then Mr. M. Comes to life. Jeez, keep Mahomes healthy with a good supporting cast and the Chiefs could be the Pats of this decade.
I think the key with Mahomes having that kind of success is if he's willing to take less than full market salary. He could break the bank with his next contract, but that would leave less money for his supporting cast.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think the key with Mahomes having that kind of success is if he's willing to take less than full market salary. He could break the bank with his next contract, but that would leave less money for his supporting cast.
If the money is not about ego, and he seems a like mature person, he could takes less than market value and still be a very wealthy man. And, jeez, he’s got his team’s respect, taking less than market value would increase that respect.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Given their limited time on the field, any player who settles for less than the market will bear, is hurting themselves. Winning is all well and good, but at the end of the day it is all about the money.

(At least that is my opinion on the topic of player contracts.)

- Walter.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

If Mahomes doesn't become insufferable like Tom Brady, IMO, it will be a joy to see the Chiefs taking a few!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Given their limited time on the field, any player who settles for less than the market will bear, is hurting themselves. Winning is all well and good, but at the end of the day it is all about the money.

(At least that is my opinion on the topic of player contracts.)

- Walter.
While I agree with this in principle, there is also the question of how much money is enough. With Mahomes, for example, the difference between accepting closer to $30 million than $40 million per year may mean more chances at championships. Even at the lower salary, he and his family should be set for life financially.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
While I agree with this in principle, there is also the question of how much money is enough. With Mahomes, for example, the difference between accepting closer to $30 million than $40 million per year may mean more chances at championships. Even at the lower salary, he and his family should be set for life financially.
Exactly. How much $$ is enough. Many of the athletes demand more money for ego purposes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Exactly. How much $$ is enough. Many of the athletes demand more money for ego purposes.
They demand more money because they're worth it in their market place. I don't see any owners not taking less money. I'm sick of some fans always taking the side of the owners when it comes to money.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think it's the salary cap rules moreso than owners that prevent some of the huge salaries. I think some owners would love to pay some marquee players a lot more if they didn't have caps that limit how much they'd have left over to pay the rest of the team. It's pretty hard to win when only 1-2 players out of 53 are great. They have to spread it around to attract/retain skilled players at all positions.

As Scott says, $30 million per year is still an obscene amount of money for any person. And if that enables a player to stay with a winning team vs. $40 million per year to play for a .500 team, then one would think it should be an easy choice. LeVeon Bell got his money, but now he also has an extra month every year to stay home and enjoy it, while the Tom Bradys of the world who recognize their organization can build a better team around them by taking a little less for themselves are quite often playing deep into the playoffs.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This kinda, sorta SB related. The actress in the commercial singing “Let it Go”, is that the the actress from Game of Thrones who played Arya? And is that her singing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks