What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My above comments were towards Mayfield taking an unnecessary shot at Daniel Jones in GQ magazine article. I'm starting to dislike this punk kid with a big mouth. Both, Mayfield and Beckham need to stop worrying about the Giants and concentrate on winning games for the Browns and their long-suffering fans.
I'm surprised both their egos can fit in the Browns' stadium. I expect the honeymoon to be over quickly unless they go on a winning streak.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
To me I think due to the hype the Browns will come out of the gate with very high expectations surrounding them. These are not "tested" players so they have a lot to prove. Plus I mean it is not like they were a contender last season but they did have a better Home record than the Steelers...which I guess would be their one thing they can hang a hat on.

They need to have a good September in order to build toward a good season. I think they really need to win their first two games against the Titans and Jets because those should be very winnable games. Once they get to the Rams in week three they face a series of games and teams that will test them leading up to the Patriots in Foxboro at the end of October.

It's a tough slate starting with the Rams in week three. If that begins a 5 game losing streak the Browns could come apart with all those nutty personalities on that team. So, because of the massive hype and their big mouth players they need to back up the talk with some wins right away. If they lose to the Jets and/or Titans to start the season their road is even tougher.

A team like the Patriots could care less about September losses because they treat those games like preseason and they know they can and have begun to roll after the first month of games.

The Browns don't live with that luxury and really need those September wins to build some momentum. I mean doubtful that Freddie Kitchens is going to problem solve the way Belichick does.

The Lions beat the Patriots in September last season, and it certainly didn't make Detroit a good team. A win against the Rams would be a small step for Cleveland, but it takes more than one win against a top team early in the season to make a team a contender.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Oh, and as for the poll, I wouldn't characterize Chicago, the Chargers or Falcons as potential "surprise" teams. They have each been playoff teams recently -- the Bears were division champs just last season, and are probably the favorites to win the NFC North again.

Now Oakland, who is also in that poll, would definitely qualify as a potential surprise team -- I don't think very many people expect the Gruden / Brown Gong Show to be anything other than a train wreck.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes the retirement of Luck is stunning, but in the end not a huge surprise- constant injury would emotionally be too much to overcome. Too bad- Luck comes across as a good guy. The Colts brass did a poor job of building a line in front of him. Now everyone will see if Jacoby Brissett is the full-time starter going forward- he’s still a young guy.

My 2 cents on Mayfield- he can play, but he’s a punk. Can a punk who’s a QB lead his team to a championship? I have my doubts.

I’m ignoring all the blather about the players who are holding out, and news about other head cases- I’ll just try to watch the helmets and uniforms on Sunday- I’m getting tired of the Maury Povich stuff.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fans crushing Luck which can be expected as fans are fans. However, some of the media is crushing him too and I'm not talking about the local Indy media. I find that annoying as Luck is obviously in a dark place both physically and mentally right now and the sports media should show a little more empathy towards Luck. He has lost his passion for football and if that happens to any athlete, no matter the sport then they're basically done. I actually feel sorry for Luck despite the monies he made in his career. He shouldn't have to retire at 29 years of age. I wish him luck (no pun intended) as there is more to life than football.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, Luck is the guy I was always saying I feel bad for. Very talented QB that spent his career on a rotten team with rotten management and a rotten owner. This hits hard because of how quickly the Colts turned around last season under Frank Reich and Matt Eberflus. With Luck back behind center the offense made obvious improvements but the real shocker was how well what was considered a terrible Colts defense played out of absolutely nowhere last season. Have to give Eberflus credit for that as he was the DC and coached that unit up every week so that they overperfromed. Probably one of the best coaching jobs of the year last season.

Many people were predicting the Colts would be a contender this season and had them as a sure playoff team but with Luck stepping away I would say people will revise those predictions. Brissett is a smart young player. Can he become a productive starter? Maybe but he needs the playing time to find out. Obviously he is not the talent Andrew Luck was and so you have to temper expectations now.

I thought the Colts would take that division this season and be tough in the playoffs. Now things are open for the Texans and possibly the Jaguars who may field the best or one of the best defenses in the league this season.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Oh, and as for the poll, I wouldn't characterize Chicago, the Chargers or Falcons as potential "surprise" teams.

In terms of the word "surprise" it applies in different ways to the teams in the poll because there are different levels of expectations of what would be success for these teams. To me the Chargers have enough talent on the team and posted a record last season that indicate they should be considered a serious Super Bowl contender this year. However, ask any Chargers fan how the team can crush your expectations and you will get a boatload of examples. So, the surprise in the Chargers case would be that they win the division, play in the AFC Championship game, and make it to the Super Bowl. Each one of those steps would be a bit of a surprise because most people pick the Chiefs to win the division. Most people seem to think the Chiefs are the team that will have the best shot of knocking off the Patriots to get to the Super Bowl...and the Chargers have once again lost a star player before they even got the season started. I love the Chargers, I want to see them get into the Super Bowl with Rivers at QB, I think they have the best team they have had in years...but still I will be a bit shocked if they can improve on last season. They should improve on last season, there has been little roster turnover, they are talent loaded, and they have a veteran QB who is one of the best in the game. If I were hanging a sign in their locker room this season it would say "No excuses!"

The Bears basically are in the same boat as the Chargers but I think the Bears have a far less talented offense. Which is OK because they have a very scary defense. The jury is still out on the Bears young QB and he so far looks decent but
like he probably won't be a great one. He has a chance this year to prove that wrong. I think people think he may be a "game manager" type QB, one who won't kill you with mistakes but won't wow you with exciting come from behind victories. The Bears are in a division that won't be a cake walk. The Vikings and Packers both intend to challenge them this year. I would not be stunned if the Vikings take that division. The Vikings are a well coached team that should be able to perform a lot better than they did last season. The Packers are in a transition year really and have to adjust to the coaching changes. They have Rodgers though and he is one of those rare difference makers at QB. He can win you a game you should have lost. If the Bears defense can punish people this year and they don't play from behind in many games they could repeat what they did last season. However, the Vikings and Packers collapsed last season and I don't think they both will do that again this season. So, the Bears to be "surprise" have to improve on last season. That means NFC Championship game and shot at the Super Bowl.

The Falcons are a team that has trended downwards. The last two years they have finished 3rd in their division. What this year is for them is more than likely a season where they decide if they are going to stick with Dan Quinn. They were a sub .500 team last year. Their division got better in the offseason. Basically, all the teams around them did things that should help them improve and the Saints are an NFC favorite this season to make the Super Bowl. Matt Ryan has quietly remained one of the top QBs in the NFL but oddly Dan Quinn has not been able to make any strides to improve the Falcons defense. Sadly under Quinn the Falcons have begun to get a reputation as a team that will blow a game they should have won more than to win a game they were on they way to losing. Still, if the Falcons under Quinn are ever going to turn things around this is the year they need to do it. It could be a tougher year for them to win divisional games than it was last year. The Buccaneers probably won't be the pushover they were last year. Arians will probably get more out of them than people expect. If you look at who the Falcons beat in their 7 wins last season, it is not in any way impressive. They beat bad teams and teams in turmoil. So, if the Falcons manage to mount a playoff run this season, I'd call that a surprise and may buy Dan Quinn a bit more time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, Luck is the guy I was always saying I feel bad for. Very talented QB that spent his career on a rotten team with rotten management and a rotten owner.

Those are the same reasons that both Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson walked away from the Lions while still having tire left on their treads. I cannot fault Luck for doing the same, especially considering all the injuries he's battled throughout his career. There is life after football for these players, and it's no shame to want to be able to live that life without enduring a lot of physical and emotional pain -- especially when considering the post football life of Junior Seau and others.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
ask any Chargers fan how the team can crush your expectations and you will get a boatload of examples.
The only time Team Voldemort doesn’t disappoint is when they suck for the whole season. Otherwise they get their fans excited and then take it in the shorts. It’s what the franchise best.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Possibly. I was pretty young at the time, and wasn't really yet into football, but I recall people thought McMahon was kind of an egotistical douche.
It’s my recollection the Bears didn’t ride to the tile on his arm, more the defense than anything.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Being egotistical is one thing, but backing it up is another. I don't mind athletes with big egos and won't necessary call them punks, but you have to back it up which Mayfield hasn't done in the NFL yet, Unlike, those QBs that have been mentioned in this thread, but have won Super Bowls.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
People love to complain about pre-season football, but below is one of the reasons it's not going anywhere, anytime soon.

A pre-season game is a bigger draw (+30%) than a prime time baseball game between two of the league's hottest teams (the MLB game was tied for #11 under "Rank"). Small ratings by NFL standards, but still higher than other major sports, even in pre-season.

upload_2019-8-28_14-40-37.png

upload_2019-8-28_14-40-53.png

upload_2019-8-28_14-41-21.png

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, I certainly didn't contribute to that viewership. I am proud to say that I have not watched a single play from any preseason game this season.

I had my fantasy football draft tonight. I will not bore anyone with my picks, but this was the 21st year for this league with mostly friends in a 12 team league -- we have added a few new members over the years as a few people have left. Several beers were consumed, many insults were hurled, and it's probably the most fun I have all season managing my fantasy team. Now comes the much less fun part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks