1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019-2020 NFL Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Reggie W, Jul 30, 2019.

?

What team will be a surprise success this season?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2019.
  1. Cleveland Browns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Los Angeles Chargers

42.9%
  3. Chicago Bears

14.3%
  4. Indianapolis Colts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Baltimore Ravens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Atlanta Falcons

42.9%
  8. Oakland Raiders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    I run a fun game with a couple of friends and family members- the 4 of us pick the winner in every game, week by week. My father started this game over 30 years ago, and when he passed away, I kept this tradition alive. This game is incentive to watch whatever game is on, and it will educate us on the strengths and weaknesses of most of the teams.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well those ratings do reflect 18-49 age groups so that leaves you and I out of the running.;)

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  3. Robert Crawford

Robert
    It's going to be a strange NFL season for me personally as it's the first one I'll be experiencing without DirecTV's The Sunday Ticket in about 25 years. The real test for me will come when they run a free weekend to entice you to order it.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I didn't realize that the Sunday Ticket had been around that long. Time really does fly. Rumor is that DirecTV will lose their exclusive rights to ST at the next contract renewal. If a streaming service is awarded a deal, as expected, it will be interesting to see if a less expensive offering will be made where you can just select a single team's games. This is offered with the NHL streaming package, although the cost isn't substantially less than getting all the games for all teams.

5. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Dolphins name Stinky Fitz the opening day starter. What’s the point? The coach needs to stick Rosen in there behind center to see if they made a good trade to give up a 2nd round pick.
    If I were a Dolphins fan, I’d feel that it’s wasted time, and delaying potential future growth to play an aging mediocre QB- they won’t be worth watching as long as Stinky plays.

6. Scott Merryfield

It's a great move... if you are playing for the first overall draft pick next year. ;) The Dolphins will be one of the leading candidates for that honor.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The Sunday Ticket and DirecTV both launched in 1994.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  8. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes the Dolphins are projected to be awful this year, but if they do what other teams have done in the past- draft the vogue QB after every bad season (the Jets and Browns did this year after year), and not really give their 2nd round pick Rosen a fair chance, then they’ never progress as a football team.

9. Scott Merryfield

The problem with the Jets and Browns is that they would reach for a QB in the draft who just wasn't very good, and certainly not worth the spot in the draft where they were selected -- guys like Manzeil, Weeden, Sanchez and Hackenburg quickly come to mind. Although Miami didn't draft him, I think Rosen may prove to be that type of QB, too.

10. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    This will be my second season with no Sunday Ticket. I have to say last season I felt like I cancelled at the wrong time because the Chargers went 12-4. Prior to last season, I did not see that coming as it seemed the team and Rivers were at a low point. Rivers refused to sign a new deal with the Chargers so after this season he will be a free agent, as will Tom Brady I believe as he wanted that in his deal as well. Rivers is surrounded by his best supporting cast perhaps in his career and I know he does not like LA but he has a window where this team should be a playoff team this year and next and they can potentially make a Super Bowl run.

I am tempted to purchase Sunday Ticket because I think the AFC West is a pretty interesting division right now and for football reasons not idiotic stories. I love Patrick Mahomes, this kid is a blast to watch. Andy Reid working with this guy is going to provide a lot of exciting games I think. While I don't know what the Raiders will do they have assembled a talented offense so I am curious to see what Gruden does with that. Carr should have his best supporting cast so far in his career to work with. This could lead to the Raiders being in some shoot-out games which would be fun. Denver still has a good defense but on offense, can't really say where they will go. A lot of people are saying Flacco will lose his job during the season or just won't make it through the season so the Broncos will be doing a QB shuffle this season. Flacco is the best thrower of the football Denver has had in some time but he does have lingering back problems. If Flacco plays well and the Broncos can generate some offense they should be in a lot of games this season. So, the AFC West, I think anyway, is primed to be a good division to watch.

I also think the league on the whole has done a lot to address the QB situation in the league. More teams seem set-up with interesting and good looking young QBs in some time and the older star QBs are still kicking. One thing that seemed to be an issue for the league for a bit was just too many teams with mediocre to poor QBs. Games are always more fun and interesting if you have two good QBs facing off rather than Brady or Brees playing some guy that might not make another team as a back-up. A lot rides on the first rounders from the 2018 draft class panning out as a good group of players. Those guys, aside from Rosen, all come into this season as starters and they all look like there is potential there. Mayfield being the guy that will have the biggest spotlight on him as the Browns will be the focus of the pro football media this season.

I have to admit though, for the first time in many years, I want to watch some Browns games this season. Starting with their week 3 tilt against the Rams. That's a huge game for the team but also a huge game for Coach Kitchens who gets to show what he can do against the guy everybody seems to rate as the second best coach in the league.

I do think now more than the QB situation the big issues with the league are coaching and offensive line. There are a small handful of good coaches and they all sit way below Bill Belichick who is just...well...one of if not the greatest coach of all time. He has been destroying the league for years with no apparent end in sight. He will once again begin the season coaching a team that is less talented than many other teams. Their WR group looks pretty bad, they have nothing at TE and their RBs are decent but more specialty backs than any one really good back. So, Brady will have his work cut out for him. The Super Bowl may have been a preview of how this years Patriot squad will play. Belichick may be designing a scheme to play low scoring games where his defense and a couple well timed Brady throws beat you in the end. Basically, the complete opposite of what the NFL wants their games to be. The rumor is that Belichick will reduce the number of times his 42 year old QB throws the ball this season.

We'll see, but I think 2019 looks, coming into it anyway, to be the most exciting NFL season in a while.

Can I avoid buying back into Sunday Ticket is the big question...

11. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Yes this seems to be an interesting season ahead, with a lot of unanswered questions-
    Can the Brady Bunch keep going?
    Will the Browns locker room go bad?
    Did the Chiefs do enough on defense to win it all? Will Reid not blow it with poor sideline management?
    Can the Chargers fight toe to toe with the Chiefs?
    Can the Cowboys figure out team leadership
    (something they rarely have)?
    Will Wentz stay healthy?
    When will Eli get replaced by Jones?
    Who’s going to win the NFC North?
    Can the Falcons have a bounce back season?

Lots o’ mystery.

Reggie W likes this.
  12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
  13. Scott Merryfield

With the preseason just about over, I am revising my pre-preseason picks.

AFC Division winners:
    Patriots, Steelers, Texans, Chiefs
    AFC Wildcards: Chargers, Browns

NFC Division winners:
    Eagles, Bears, Falcons, Rams
    NFC Wildcards: Panthers, Saints

As an added bonus, the last place teams from each division in the battle for the #1 overall draft pick in 2020. The ones in bold are my top candidates from each conference for that #1 pick.

AFC: Dolphins, Bengals, Titans, Raiders
    NFC: Redskins, Lions, Buccaneers, Cardinals

14. Scott Merryfield

And in honor of the start of the college football season...

15. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    I agree with your playoff predictions. Interesting to see what the Steelers look like this year- will they play better now that the head case WR is gone? If they don’t improve from last year’s record, their failings will be pinned directly to Ben’s and Mike’s forehead.

If the Skins finish last, and look bad doing it, Jay
    is history (the Skins fans need to root for Snyder selling the team).

16. Scott Merryfield

The Texans made some major moves at the end of the preseason, sending Clowney to Seattle, acquiring Tunsil and Stills from Miami, and Hyde from KC. Tunsil is the key pickup, as Houston really needed help on the offensive line and Tunsil is a stud left tackle.

With the trade, the Dolphins look like a huge favorite for that #1 overall draft spot.

17. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    With that trade the Dolphins have secured themselves the worst offensive line in the NFL...literally a horrid group of players. Now I can understand them starting Fitzpatrick, he is a sacrificial lamb. The guy is going to get killed. Rosen should be thrilled to be standing on the sidelines...but for how long? Should be only a matter of time before Rosen has to enter a game when Fitz gets carried off the field.

It was a two team race to number 1, the number one pick in the draft that is, between the Cardinals and Dolphins. Over the weekend the Dolphins tried to stack the deck. This could be an 0-16 campaign. I would not be surprised if the Dolphins have installed trip wires all over their home field in case one of their players breaks free with the ball they can take him down before he scores.

Being a Dolphins QB this season is not going to be fun.

Jeffrey D likes this.
  18. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    I’m one of those fans who believes it’s better to hit rock bottom and start over than to be a perpetual 7 or 8 win team, which the Dolphins have been (that got them nothing). The big question is do they have executives that the fans can trust to properly build a team that can win?

19. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    The Texans had been in talks with the Dolphins for Tunsil for a long time. I believe they were trying to trade Clowney there in a move that would include Tunsil. Problem was Clowney made noise about the idea he would never report to the Dolphins either and so the Texans ended up having to deal away two first round picks and send Clowney up to Seattle.

As an aside look out for the Seahawks, they have quietly assembled a ferocious front seven on Defense and are a better team it looks like coming into this season than they were last season. Good chance they wrestle the division title from the Rams and could be an absolute terror in the playoffs with that defense.

This means the Texans are in "win now" mode and probably believe they have or are close to having a team that can compete for the Super Bowl. Watson needed O-line help, he got some, but with trading away that group of picks I think it also signals the Texans brass is giving O'Brien a short leash.

20. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    They do look well on their way to rock bottom. I feel bad for Rosen getting traded away from the Cardinals horrid O-line to the Dolphins in the midst of them trying to tank the hell out of this season.

As far as the rebuild goes...well...that's harder than doing the tear down. They have gutted the building now let's see how well they do shopping for the renovation. I assume that the guy in charge of that is Chris Grier who is sort of also a former Patriots guy and I say sort of because I believe he only worked for New England during the Pete Carroll era, and only briefly, and that was not a good era for the Patriots. I don't think he has experience rebuilding a team and so who knows how he will do. I assume they expect Reggie McKenzie to be the guy that helps him do this. McKenzie did a good job finding talent, I think, in Oakland but they combined the talent with poor coaching and it amounted to nothing.