What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Texans had been in talks with the Dolphins for Tunsil for a long time. I believe they were trying to trade Clowney there in a move that would include Tunsil. Problem was Clowney made noise about the idea he would never report to the Dolphins either and so the Texans ended up having to deal away two first round picks and send Clowney up to Seattle.

As an aside look out for the Seahawks, they have quietly assembled a ferocious front seven on Defense and are a better team it looks like coming into this season than they were last season. Good chance they wrestle the division title from the Rams and could be an absolute terror in the playoffs with that defense.

This means the Texans are in "win now" mode and probably believe they have or are close to having a team that can compete for the Super Bowl. Watson needed O-line help, he got some, but with trading away that group of picks I think it also signals the Texans brass is giving O'Brien a short leash.
Yes the Seahawks can be a threat to the Rams this year- a QB that can play and improvise, with a defense that can keep them in every game, and history shows the Super Bowl loser rarely gets back to next year’s Super Bowl.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Texans had been in talks with the Dolphins for Tunsil for a long time. I believe they were trying to trade Clowney there in a move that would include Tunsil. Problem was Clowney made noise about the idea he would never report to the Dolphins either and so the Texans ended up having to deal away two first round picks and send Clowney up to Seattle.

As an aside look out for the Seahawks, they have quietly assembled a ferocious front seven on Defense and are a better team it looks like coming into this season than they were last season. Good chance they wrestle the division title from the Rams and could be an absolute terror in the playoffs with that defense.

This means the Texans are in "win now" mode and probably believe they have or are close to having a team that can compete for the Super Bowl. Watson needed O-line help, he got some, but with trading away that group of picks I think it also signals the Texans brass is giving O'Brien a short leash.

Those first round picks should be late in the round, so I don't think it was a reach for the Texans. It's almost impossible to draft a stud left tackle with a late first round pick, and Houston got one for two such picks. Not a bad deal for a team trying to win now. And Tunsil is only 26 years old, so he could be their franchise LT for many years.

I think the Clowney trade was a win for both Houston and Seattle. Moving him cleared salary cap space for the Texans so they can lock up Tunsil long term (and the relationship with Clowney had soured anyway). Seattle did not give up much for a potential stud defensive end, and get to see how he fits with the team for a year before needing to commit a large salary (Houston picked up the signing bonus, which was almost half the $16M Clowney was owed this season). Even if he ends up being just a one year rental for the Seahawks, it's still not a bad deal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I won't be watching any football on my local NBC channel since they're in a dispute with DirecTV over fees.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
:rolling-smiley:The Raiders are going to suspend AB after a confrontation with Mike Mayock. Gruden forgot that character and being a team player matters in football.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Adam Schefter is reporting that the Raiders plan on suspending Antonio Brown due to an incident yesterday between Brown and GM Mayock.

Brown is surpassing Terrell Owens on the diva level.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Adam Schefter is reporting that the Raiders plan on suspending Antonio Brown due to an incident yesterday between Brown and GM Mayock.

Brown is surpassing Terrell Owens on the diva level.
Gruden needs to suspend him and then void that 30M guarantee contract and move on. It's only going to get worse so you cut bait and move on. They only lose a 3rd round pick.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Gruden needs to suspend him and then void that 30M guarantee contract and move on. It's only going to get worse so you cut bait and move on. They only lose a 3rd round pick.
It was a third and a fifth round pick they sent to Pittsburgh, but your point is still valid. I do wonder if Brown suffered some sort of head trauma a few years ago. He wasn't this bizarre when he first came into the league. It's only been the past 3 or 4 years where he's become a wacko.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It was a third and a fifth round pick they sent to Pittsburgh, but your point is still valid. I do wonder if Brown suffered some sort of head trauma a few years ago. He wasn't this bizarre when he first came into the league. It's only been the past 3 or 4 years where he's become a wacko.
Something is wrong with him as this is getting more bizarre by the day.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

He isn't the only professional athlete whose behavior became more (I don't know - erratic?) once they had established themselves in their sport. Exhibit one: Dennis Rodman.

I suspect that there are multiple factors at play.

Ego - since everyone is telling you how great you are, and AB is (or at least was) a great WR.
Monetary Security - Once you have some financial independence this grants you a certain amount of freedom to express yourself in more flamboyant ways.

I suppose you can't rule out Batshit Crazy, though. :)

- Walter.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
:rolling-smiley:The Raiders are going to suspend AB after a confrontation with Mike Mayock. Gruden forgot that character and being a team player matters in football.
Yes he must have totally forgot about the Keyshawn Meshawn Johnson situation in Tampa.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
He isn't the only professional athlete whose behavior became more (I don't know - erratic?) once they had established themselves in their sport. Exhibit one: Dennis Rodman.

I suspect that there are multiple factors at play.

Ego - since everyone is telling you how great you are, and AB is (or at least was) a great WR.
Monetary Security - Once you have some financial independence this grants you a certain amount of freedom to express yourself in more flamboyant ways.

I suppose you can't rule out Batshit Crazy, though. :)

- Walter.
Could be, but Dennis Rodman probably isn’t the best example. He was a troubled person when he first joined the Pistons. He just took it to another level later in his career and afterwards. Antonio Brown went from quiet rookie out of Central Michigan to complete wacko. It may be fame and ego, or it could be that hit from Burfict a few years ago that rattled something loose in his brain.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Bears just can’t figure out how to beat Rodgers and the Packers. Trubisky 5 yards/
pass attempt. Is this due to the Bears not having a big threat at WR, or is it Trubisky, or both? The Bears weren’t successful running the ball either.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well so much for Gruden doing the right thing and supporting his GM. With each passing day, I'm so glad I didn't subscribe to the NFL Sunday Ticket. Both of my teams are horribly run as I have serious doubt about their organizational leadership.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, I watched last night's Bears/Packers game and it could only watch it for about 30 minutes. Just an awful game.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I wonder if the Raiders are hamstrung by the CBA about punishing Brown. Probably. This is only the beginning of trouble with that punk- he’s only used to being on a perpetual playoff contender, and now that he’s on a team that’s projected to not be in the playoff picture, he won’t like not winning, so he’s going to continue to be a problem.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
By the way, I watched last night's Bears/Packers game and it could only watch it for about 30 minutes. Just an awful game.
I made it to halftime, but I was reading and only half paying attention to the game. Not a good opening night for the NFL's 100th season.

As for the Raiders and Brown, if Gruden lets this slide he will be fighting a losing battle with his wacko receiver all season. If Brown really did threaten to punch Mayock, then they have certainly have grounds for suspending him. They are making a mistake letting him play this weekend, IMO.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
According to this article, it appears that Antonio Brown's behavior issues date back father than I realized -- all the way to 2012 after he received his first contract extension. So, it appears that @Walter Kittel 's theory regarding monetary security and ego may be spot on for the primary reasons for AB's decent into wackoness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks