1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019-2020 NFL Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Reggie W, Jul 30, 2019.

?

What team will be a surprise success this season?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2019.
  1. Cleveland Browns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Los Angeles Chargers

42.9%
  3. Chicago Bears

14.3%
  4. Indianapolis Colts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Baltimore Ravens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Atlanta Falcons

42.9%
  8. Oakland Raiders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I just think both teams were playing what was essentially a preseason game for them. The defenses were just way ahead of the offenses in the game and that's normal because defenses have to react and offenses have to execute. Those offenses just showed no timing and were all out of sync. People keep bringing up Trubisky but Rodgers was awful in that game and he is the guy that is known as one of the best QBs in the NFL.

It will be more interesting to see these two teams face off later in the season and I honestly would not take too much out of that game.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm actually doing it! I'm starting the first NFL season in 25 years without The NFL Sunday Ticket. Of course, it helps that the two teams I root for are dumpster fires, but they've been dumpster fires for years so I guess I'm beaten my NFL addiction.;)

3. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Apparently the conversation was had in Oakland about cutting Brown loose and it was so serious that I am betting Brown's agent sat him down and said you are close to losing this job and becoming poison to most NFL teams, you best start publicly apologizing before they cut you and take the money off the table...which it seems could have happened due to what Brown actually said to Mayock. The Raiders had the upper hand in this. If they cut him the next team that offered to sign him likely would have loaded the contract with conditions and paid him probably much less than what the Raiders gave him.

Gruden was his savior in this case because he stepped in and offered Brown the second chance. He is even going to play him in week one, so no suspension, no loss of a game check. Mayock I think really was leaning toward cutting him.

I think there are a couple ways to look at this. Yes, this is really letting a player get away with something he should never have been allowed to get away with. It does set a bad precedent in that way. The flip side here is that Gruden just did Brown a MASSIVE favor and you have to hope Brown realizes this because if he doesn't, wow do they have a problem. If Brown actually understands how much Gruden came through for him and buys into being part of the team, it could be a great move by Jon. If Brown just finds some other way to have a meltdown, Gruden has egg on his face.

I think Gruden believes he really could have an offense this season and he wants to see it operate with Brown on the field. Nobody knows what that is going to look like yet and I think Gruden did what he did because he really wants to see what that will look like.

The hard part will be keeping Brown focused on football and playing his part because Brown truly only seems interested in Antonio Brown.

4. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

I claim no real insight into AB; sometimes a blind squirrel finds an acorn. :)

- Walter.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Why the long dissertation on AB and the Raiders? All of us know it's only going to end up one way which is badly for both parties. It's just a matter of time.

6. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Ugh, looks like you are right as I guess last night Brown posted on social media he wants the Raiders to release him. Looks like Gruden's Hail Mary failed.

I just tried to look at the situation in a fair way but honestly, if the Raiders cut Brown I really would not touch him with a ten foot pole. Unless the Patriots sign him, then Brown will get a taste of the Bill Belichick philosophy of TEAM. That I would love to see.

For what it is worth, I wanted to see what that Raider offense looked like with Brown on it. I mean I knew Brown and Beckham would be ticking time bombs for their teams but I figured we would at least get into the regular season before that happened.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    :laugh: I didn't even realize these latest developments as this morning I've been watching movies and just monitoring the forum between viewing sessions. What a troubled person AB must be as he won't be getting any type of major guarantee money again from any other NFL team. If a team does so then they're being foolish as I can't see some team giving him 30M in guarantee money again.

8. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Yeah, hard to figure out what he is angry about, as the Raiders supported him through the helmet thing and he has amassed a bunch of fines but that is his own doing. His responses do just seem bizarre:

"And that's fine! I have worked my whole life to prove that the system is blind to see talent like mines. Now that everyone sees it, they want me to conform to that same system that has failed me all those years. "I'm not mad at anyone. I'm just asking for the freedom to prove them all wrong." Release me @raiders #NOMore #theyputblindersonahorseforareason #NoMoreFake." -Antonio Brown

9. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    It looks like he is going to get some freedom, freedom from playing in the NFL for massive amounts of money. I hope that's the "freedom" he wants.

It is just crazy and a shame the Raiders can't even get him on the field.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    When a team gives him another opportunity does it give AB more than a one year guarantee contract? Does he even get a guarantee contract? It has to be a mostly incentive base contract, otherwise, you're really being foolish with this unstable person.

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Nope. At this point no one's giving him guaranteed money. He has screwed two franchises with his self-centered, egotistical behavior. He must have attended the "Terrell Owens School for Screwing Up a Great Career". It will be interesting to see what team will even take a chance on him. Some people think New England, but not even Belichick has dealt with this level of batshit crazy. Randy Moss was a pussycat compared with Brown.

12. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop

Odd...

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    As a New England fan, I have NO desire to see AB on the team.

I'd think he's poison to everyone now, unless he's willing to play under a very restrictive contract for lower money. Who would want to risk dealing with such a disturbed diva?

14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Raiders tweet out the following: "The Raiders have released WR Antonio Brown from the team today."

15. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Yes, I don't know if the Patriots would get involved as they are already in the midst of a reclamation project with Josh Gordon. I just kind of thought it would have been fun for Brown to have dealt with Belichick because had he pulled what he did with the Raiders he would have been immediately suspended and banned from their facilities. Gruden tried to help Brown and wow, did Antonio take a big dump on that.

16. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    This guy has really hurt himself with this. He did not even make it to game 1 with the Raiders. Gruden went way out of his way to help him and get him back on track and Brown blew it.

They say in the NFL teams will always give you another chance and somebody probably will but I agree with you guys, what he'll get offered now is a "You have to prove you are not a problem" contract. Which means incentives and prove it for a year before we sign you to any kind of real contract. Plus due to his behavior the Raiders will owe him nothing.

17. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    It would appear Antonio is pointing the finger at everyone but himself in this case.

Best of luck to whatever team decides to speak to him.

18. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    A round of applause for the Raiders, who voided his guaranteed money (Mark is the son of Al, who voided former coaches contracts for cause). A round of boos for Gruden, who threw away a 3rd and 5th round pick, and has zero to show for it. A round of anger and disbelief for the next team who brings in this PUNK (we all know this is going to happen).

19. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, media people are listing the Patriots as the favorite to sign Brown. Frankly, I doubt that as they won't pay him and chances are he is going to want that $30 million in guaranteed money. I doubt he is rational enough to understand that is no longer available to him...unless somebody out there is crazy...and Jerry Jones already has his former Raider WR so he won't be landing Brown.

So, what teams may be calling to grab Mr. Big Chest at 4:00 Eastern time today when he is officially a free agent? Well, here's who the media thinks is going to be asking about him...

1. The Patriots - Currently the favorite I just do not think they will do this. Yes, the Patriots will call but the Patriots are said to always call in these situations to see what the possibilities are. So, a call from the Pats is no big deal, they are just doing their homework and likely would be asking what Antonio would be willing to play for them for...meaning what sort of discount would he give them for the possibility to play for a championship with Brady. My guess is Antonio don't give discounts. Remember the Patriots called the Giants about Beckham two years in a row...that went nowhere too.

2. The 49ers - This team makes sense. They wanted him as soon as they discovered he was available. Now they can get him for nothing and they want a WR in a big bad way for Jimmy. My guess is the 49ers are first on the line and probably would offer the most. While he would be a weapon for Jimmy G, I also think he would be a major headache for him.

3. The Packers - Word is when he was available from the Steelers Rodgers put a word in with the team he wanted them to go get him. The Packers offense looked dismal on Thursday night. Would Brown be a good fit with the Packers new young head coach? No way. I think the Pack will pass but media people seem to think the Packers are going to make an offer to Brown's agent.

4. The Cardinals - Sure this makes sense. The Cardinals are supposed to stink this season but they have a new young QB they want to play. The Cards have nothing to lose grabbing Brown if they can. Would Brown mesh well here though? No way. This is a bad team whose goal for a successful season this year would be to win six games behind a rookie Head Coach and QB. Brown would be an utter nightmare for these guys to deal with. They should pass but I can see them making the offer.

5. The Seahawks - I could see this happening. Are you kidding? Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson would love this move if they can get Brown on the field. They will certainly call and Carroll and Wilson are the kind of guys you would need to deal with Brown plus Brown would actually go from the Raiders to a contender where he could have a great season and stick it to everyone he thinks he wants to stick it too. Of course, the question is what will or can the Seahawks offer?

Those 5 teams will probably call but my guess is only the 49ers and Seahawks would be serious bidders. The other three teams are probably just "doing homework."

Now the media are also mentioning a few other teams and not mentioning two teams I think they should mention...

The Giants - I don't know who came up with this one but the Giants trading away Beckham and then going to sign Brown would be absolutely idiotic and only meant to happen if the gods were mocking our very own Robert Crawford. I do not believe for a second the Giants pick up a phone to ask about Mr. Big Chest.

The Dolphins - The Dolphins just traded away their best O-lineman and WR...they are tanking the season. They are not going to call about Antonio Brown or dedicate any funds to him.

The Steelers - Some media bozos seem to think the Steelers are going to try to lure Antonio back home to Pittsburgh now that he is free...I want some of whatever they are smoking because they seem to be so high they are walking on the moon. The Steelers are lucky to have got rid of Brown why the hell would they try to get him back? That's a permanently broken relationship. NO WAY the Steelers call.

So the other two teams I think could call but seem not to be on anybody's list...

The Bills - They want to add a WR but again pairing Brown with a young developing QB could be bad for that young QB.

The Jets - They also could call and they have his disgruntled former teammate so, they could possibly believe that might help Brown settle in there. Brown would like to be in a market like New York, I am sure. This makes much more sense than the Giants.

As a dark horse...

The Eagles - This is a coin toss. They would like to give Wentz another weapon. Does not seem like Doug Pederson wants to deal with Brown's nonsense.

20. Robert Crawford

Robert
    You must have a lot of time on your hand to spend this much time writing about AB.;)

Reggie W likes this.