What's new

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I agree. But not in the numbers or ways they interacted pre Covid-19.

In my opinion.

I think people will be cautious for a while - ala the reluctance to travel post-9/11.

And it's possible that even if COVID "goes away" for a while, renewed outbreaks could occur, which is different than 9/11 since we didn't have recurring terrorist events like it.

Though here in DC, we had 9/11 and then a year later the "Beltway Sniper". Combined that could've crippled us, but it didn't - not for long, at least.

So I don't claim that once the virus largely goes away, we'll all forget it existed and go back to the old ways immediately.

But within a year, barring renewed severe outbreaks? Yup...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think people will be cautious for a while - ala the reluctance to travel post-9/11.

And it's possible that even if COVID "goes away" for a while, renewed outbreaks could occur, which is different than 9/11 since we didn't have recurring terrorist events like it.

Though here in DC, we had 9/11 and then a year later the "Beltway Sniper". Combined that could've crippled us, but it didn't - not for long, at least.

So I don't claim that once the virus largely goes away, we'll all forget it existed and go back to the old ways immediately.

But within a year, barring renewed severe outbreaks? Yup...
Like I said, people go back to what they know.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Unfortunately WW84 won't be enough to save the multiplex cinema. This closure will be the beginning of the demise of the commercial theatre I fear. If, and that's a BIG if, the large theatre chains can weather the storm and survive, the mom and pop small town theatres won't fare as well. Many operate from weekend to weekend and will not be able to pay the popcorn kids or power bill without ticket sales despite the fact that the film company will take up to 60% of the ticket price as a rental fee.. Add to that the increase of the streaming choices and some of the major distributors beginning to like the idea of "direct-to-home" sales.
I'm glad to read the post detailing the different types of home theatres members are putting together. Hopefully everyone will be set up to stream and enjoy what will soon be coming your way.
This is, of course my opinion which may be different from yours.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, there's no way the WB is gonna let the WW go straight to VOD ASAP. That would not be A-OK.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wonder Woman 1984 is a billion-dollar grosser waiting to happen.

The first one grossed over $800 million worldwide even though it was following a widely-disliked DCEU film in Batman v. Superman. I was really reluctant to go see it at first because the other films had burned me, but I was so glad I did. Patty Jenkins and her team made a movie that everyone seems to like. Word of mouth was great, it has had there years to find even more of an audience on home platforms, and WB has every reason to expect the sequel to exceed the original's gross.

They would be insane to put it on VOD. If sticking to the June date is impossible, then it is worth waiting until the theaters reopen to put it out. There's no way it would make that kind of money from VOD and they know it. Also, as a big action adventure spectacle, it is especially suited to be seen on the largest screen possible. Speaking as someone who is looking forward to seeing it, I would absolutely prefer a theatrical delay to a streaming debut. I want to see this in a theater and am willing to wait as long as necessary for it to be safe to do so.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Unfortunately WW84 won't be enough to save the multiplex cinema. This closure will be the beginning of the demise of the commercial theatre I fear. If, and that's a BIG if, the large theatre chains can weather the storm and survive, the mom and pop small town theatres won't fare as well. Many operate from weekend to weekend and will not be able to pay the popcorn kids or power bill without ticket sales despite the fact that the film company will take up to 60% of the ticket price as a rental fee.. Add to that the increase of the streaming choices and some of the major distributors beginning to like the idea of "direct-to-home" sales.
I'm glad to read the post detailing the different types of home theatres members are putting together. Hopefully everyone will be set up to stream and enjoy what will soon be coming your way.
This is, of course my opinion which may be different from yours.
It would be nice if the studios would recognize that they need to assist theaters in getting back on their feet and negotiate a more favorable split of box office ticket grosses with the theaters for a period of time. I know the studios want to recover the hundreds of millions they pour into these tentpoles, but they need the theaters healthy to obtain those big grosses.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Good move. If everything is back to normal by then, it could still be one of the first big movies back.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I highly doubt that this movie will open in August, also movies previously thought to be sure Billion dollar films probably won't be anymore.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm choosing to be optimistic and think that it will open in August.

If they have to delay it again, then they have to delay it again. But it's a really bleak picture if this thing is not contained by then, and I need to remain hopeful for my own sanity. So as far as I am concerned, it's opening in August until it isn't. Maybe that's naive, but it's the attitude that is helping me get through this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks