Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Title: Wonder Woman 1984 (2019)

Genre: Fantasy, Action

Director: Patty Jenkins

Cast: Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Kristen Wiig, Pedro Pascal, Connie Nielsen, Robin Wright, Gabriella Wilde, Natasha Rothwell, Ravi Patel, Oakley Bull

Release: 2019-11-01

Kristin Wiig is currently in talks to play the villain Cheetah in Wonder Woman 2:

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/kristen-wiig-wonder-woman-2-cheetah-villain-1202712507/

Patty Jenkins will be returning to direct, and of course Gal Gadot will be reprising her role as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Wiig eh.

I finally popped 1 in and whattaya know it's pretty good.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I think the weakest part of the original film was the writing, which was adequate but not up to the talent
Origin stories are always the least interesting to me. Too many points to set up. My lone exception being the 1978 Superman. But I was 9 when that came out and the whole super hero movie concept was new to me. I hope the new WW is set present day and all the "new to the world of man" baggage is left behind.I like my heroes confident and without parent or relationship issues.
IMG_5630-e1494019704422-225x300.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think some of the film was harmed by the clunky narrative beats they were stuck with from the character's debut appearance in Batman V Superman.

That film explicitly states, via dialogue from Diana herself, that she walked away from mankind for 100 years after a terrible experience. I then watched the Wonder Woman movie, which reveals that rather than being disgusted by humanity, she is inspired by it and embraced it. So here I am, watching Wonder Woman's second film, released a mere year after her first film appearance, and it's already contradicting everything we learned about the character in her introductory appearance. That kind of thing drives me crazy. It's one thing to make changes in a long running franchise, where maybe after ten years or five movies, it's hard to keep everything straight. But a film that's made by the same team and in quick succession shouldn't have those issues.

Beyond that, I thought the actors in Wonder Woman were all great, and that the character dynamics were pretty good, but that the story was very "paint by numbers" and was never anywhere close as exciting as the main character was herself. And after spending a good deal of time building up the characters and the world they lived in, it was a little boring for me to see the last half hour turned into a CGI spectacle that mostly valued explosions over character.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's all on Snyder, et al. though. There's no way you make the first ever Wonder Woman movie and end it with her disgusted by humanity and resolved to abandon us to our own self-destruction.

I can't stand Kristen Wiig, so I really hope that casting doesn't pan out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's all on Snyder, et al. though. There's no way you make the first ever Wonder Woman movie and end it with her disgusted by humanity and resolved to abandon us to our own self-destruction.

I can't really argue with that, except... that's exactly what I was expecting to see throughout the entire film, thanks to Batman V Superman. So I have to admit, I was disappointed to see it work out differently, not because I thought Snyder's idea was brilliant, but because of the blatant disregard for continuity in a series that's supposedly being built on shared continuity.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I chose to try and ignore WW's appearance in BvS and just enjoy her far superior stand-alone film on its own merits. Sure, it has a few issues, but I find the whole to be greater than the sum of its parts.

Looking forward to another Patty Jenkins movie.

Last edited:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Not sure how I feel about KW in a villain role. I hope it's not super jokey.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, Warner has only 2 DC films slated for 2019? Shazam in the first half of the year and WW2 toward the end? What happened to their expansive slate of films - The Batman (is it happening?), Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens (or is it Suicide Squad 2 now?), Justice League 2? They haven't done a very good job of keeping to their schedule. I hope Aquaman and/or Shazam are hits for them, because otherwise if only the WW films are successes, it's going to shut the door on their fledgling franchise.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Batman is happening - Matt Reeves has been signed to direct, but the script isn't complete. An earlier draft supervised by Ben Affleck has apparently been abandoned. There are rumors that Affleck wants to leave the role but he's strongly denied them.

Justice League 2 was canceled a long time ago - originally Justice League was intended to be two films, but that plan was abandoned before shooting began. It was condensed into the single film that came out in November.

Batgirl is in limbo for now. Writer/director Joss Whedon recently quit the project, citing a lack of inspiration as the reason.

Technically, Gotham City Sirens is still on the books and David Ayer has been signed to direct. But with Suicide Squad's underperformance at the box office, mediocre word of mouth, abysmal reviews, and Ayer's Netflix movie also receiving terrible notices, the studio may not be feeling any urgency on that project right now. As Margot Robbie's star continues to rise, she may also be in a position to hold out until the project is to her liking. For instance, she has said that she does not want to wear a skimpy costume for the next film, while the studio may wish her to, or a potential script draft may call for.

There's definitely a lot up in the air. The previously announced schedule was overambitious. Batman V Superman saddled this extended universe with a lot of story ideas that a) audiences rejected and b) prohibit the telling of future stories that the audience is clamoring for.

I honestly think if they could reboot the whole thing but somehow keep Gal Gadot, they would. But they can't really do that either.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I can't really argue with that, except... that's exactly what I was expecting to see throughout the entire film, thanks to Batman V Superman. So I have to admit, I was disappointed to see it work out differently, not because I thought Snyder's idea was brilliant, but because of the blatant disregard for continuity in a series that's supposedly being built on shared continuity.

Full disclosure: I hated Batman v. Superman and haven't seen it since its opening weekend in theaters. I have no desire to revisit it again after suffering through it twice that weekend (once on its opening Thursday to see it right away, and again on the Sunday because a friend and I had already made plans to go together before I knew it was bad, and I didn't want to cancel on him.) This is all to say that I don't particularly remember the dialogue you are referring to specifically.

However -- I don't think there's any way that a Wonder Woman solo franchise could honor such a statement and continue to exist. Unless Wonder Woman 2 jumps forward to post-Justice League on the wider timeline, there's simply no way for her to go on another adventure in the sequel AND for that dialogue to remain accurate. So I think the best thing for them to do is forget that she ever said it. As justifiably annoying as that would be if you're concerned about franchise continuity, the reception to the rest of the DC universe franchise outside of Wonder Woman has been so bad that I don't think most of the general public would care or even notice if there was a continuity problem between Wonder Woman and Batman v. Superman.

If the new film is set in the present, then they have to deal with "Why isn't she calling the other members of the Justice League for backup help against this villain?", which is also an issue that Marvel has had to deal with post-Avengers. But more importantly, I think that since the general public has rejected Justice League, they would be wise to keep Wonder Woman on her own, in distinctive standalone films set in the past, and basically not dwell on the Justice League at all. The first Wonder Woman would basically have qualified as this if they had eliminated the unnecessary framing device regarding Bruce and the photo from Batman v. Superman. This is a way that they can maintain Gal Gadot without being terribly shackled to everything else they've done.

As far as Matt Reeves' Batman project, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that ended up being a complete reboot outside of the DC universe continuity and that they just let him do whatever he wants to. That is what I would most like to see at this point.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Not sure how I feel about KW in a villain role. I hope it's not super jokey.

Honestly, the fact that this seems to be pretty far away from a role that Wiig would typically take is exactly what makes me excited to see her in it precisely because she appears to be stretching herself versus what she is typically known for. I think her best film to date is The Skeleton Twins, which despite being sold in the trailers as a comedy is really a very serious drama, and she was exceptional in it. That she appears willing to do something genuinely different than usual here too is a real plus in my book. Not that there's anything wrong with her comedies, in which she is usually very good too, but the fact that I don't know how she will play this role is exactly what I like about the idea of her doing it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Suicide Squad's underperformance at the box office,
Underperformance? $325 million domestic and $746 million worldwide seems like a major hit. It did better than Man of Steel, Justice League, and a number of Marvel's "successful" titles, like Iron Man 1 & 2, Doctor Strange, Captain America 1 & 2, Ant-Man, etc. Not to mention it was not released in China, or it likely could have made more.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Looks like an 80s setting for WW2

This surprises me only because it is such a jump forward from WW1. If I were WB, I would want to keep Wonder Woman in the past and away from the toxic, rejectrd-by-the-audence post-Justice League "present day" for as long as possible. If they set the second one all the way in the '80s, then that's a lot closer to the present day period than I would have expected, just in terms of the fact that the third film will also have to go forward from there. So I was expecting a smaller time jump from 1 to 2 so that they have more options on where to place 3, 4, etc. before they have to catch up to BvS/JL's place in the timeline.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
So can we presume that this is a time travel movie?

Diana has developed pretty significantly having been in 3 movies now. It would not make sense to plop her back in the 80's and have a regressive skill set - whatever that would look like.

It also would make that whole "I vanished for 100 years" line stick out even worse than it does now.

And then if we are to see her again with Batman, Supes, etc - she would have to return to present day.

I sure hope Patty knows what she's doing with this one. On the surface this sounds odd.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks