What's new

Wonder Woman 3 (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
That sucks. I loved both of the WW movies (yes, even 1984). Damn shame. I don’t give a crap about whatever James Gunn is going to do, but oh well…

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I enjoyed the first film and own it on 4K bluray but 1984 ouch IMHO Wonder Woman came of very weak and 1984 will not be in my library. Will take a wait and see approach to WW3 and hopefully it will be an improvement over WW2.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I traded away WW1984 4k, that's how badly I needed it out of my collection once I came to my collecting senses.

(At least I was able to trade it for the original 2018 4k edition of Superman: The Movie with the original 70mm 5.1 mix, rather settle for the newer 2023 pressing with the 2.0 stereo mix).

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Another movie with her in it to drool over.

This is a big problem. Wonder Woman has appeared in both Shazam and The Flash this year, but the purpose of her cameo appearance in both was for the men around her to sexualize her. It wasn't funny. To her credit, Patty Jenkins never did that. Even in WW84, which I didn't like, Diana never existed to be looked upon as a sex object.

If DC is going to continue with the character, whether Gadot is playing her or not, they need to find something meaningful for her to do that doesn't involve the other characters objectifying her. That is beneath the character. I don't blame Gadot for taking a big check for what was probably a day's worth of work on each cameo, but it is sad to see her reduced to that.

Don’t count on WW3…

Variety is usually a reputable source in the industry. This leads to the question of why Gal Gadot said something so drastically different. If she believes she is going to develop WW3 with Gunn and Safran and they're not interested in that, they really need to work on better communication. If Variety is wrong and Gadot is staying on, that's a problem with their sourcing. Either way, this is messy.

I like Gal Gadot in the role. Theoretically, I wouldn't mind if she sticks around. But we know that Superman is going to be David Corenswet and we know that we are getting a new Batman. Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman knows Ben Affleck as Batman and Henry Cavill as Superman. So it might be a little weird to keep Gadot, who Is connected to previous versions, while the others are being rebooted. But we'll see. Gunn is also keeping people from The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. Viola Davis as Amanda Waller even though the last time we saw her she was literally in a scene with Henry Cavill, who is out. I don't get it, but *shrug*. I'll go to Superman Legacy and see what happens.

I don’t give a crap about whatever James Gunn is going to do, but oh well…

We barely know what Gunn and Safran have planned. They are at the beginning of the process here. I think it is a little early to judge too much. YMMV of course, but I think they deserve a chance to make something. Once they've done that, we'll see if it looks interesting to see or not. Those of us who decide to see it will then decide if it's any good or not. But I think they deserve a chance to do the work they've been hired to do. It might be good. It might be bad. But let them make it first. Those are just my two cents.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I like Gal Gadot in the role. Theoretically, I wouldn't mind if she sticks around. But we know that Superman is going to be David Corenswet and we know that we are getting a new Batman. Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman knows Ben Affleck as Batman and Henry Cavill as Superman. So it might be a little weird to keep Gadot, who Is connected to previous versions, while the others are being rebooted. But we'll see. Gunn is also keeping people from The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. Viola Davis as Amanda Waller even though the last time we saw her she was literally in a scene with Henry Cavill, who is out. I don't get it, but *shrug*. I'll go to Superman Legacy and see what happens.

Honestly, as I pointed out earlier, it's really not that big a deal if they wanna keep Gadot as WW while rebooting around her.

IF there's a concern about continuity, well, they can always create reboot narratives that still make that work just fine. This isn't our reality afterall, but the comics-based DC Universe... which had long been mixing all such up w/out blinking an eye anyway. They can always incorporate more of some sorta Infinite Earths and/or Flashpoint spin or similar on all that, if they want to go that route... and that's besides the fact that different storytellers and artists basically made characters significantly they're own w/in the same continuity all the time in the comics world (in both DC and Marvel). Using different actors to portray the same characters wouldn't need to be any different than drawing them somewhat differently in the comics.

And anyway, it's not even as if that kinda thing hadn't been successfully done before in some (even beloved) movie franchises anyway...

And some of these characters are regularly in masks and "spandex" anyway and not really given quite that much critical acting to do most times anyhow, LOL. :P It's not like we're talking replacing Christian Bale w/ Ben Affleck in the midst of Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy/run afterall... :P

I'd much rather see Gadot stay on than worry about what you're pointing out re: the rest of their reboot of largely pretty meh proceedings of the previous regime. Just pretend they never really existed before, if that helps, and just move on, LOL. Afterall, it's not like any of those really matters to the 2 prior WW movies -- heck, you/many might even be tempted to pretend WW84 doesn't exist too, haha... ;)

Really is basically much ado about nothing... especially given this particular genre anyway, IMHO...

Anyhoo, I've probably wasted too much of my breath (and time) on this by now... Moving on... :P

:cheers:

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Afterall, it's not like any of those really matters to the 2 prior WW movies

Ben Affleck's Bruce sends Diana the photo in Wonder Woman. It is clearly connected to the Snyderverse.

-- heck, you/many might even be tempted to pretend WW84 doesn't exist too, haha... ;)

I already like to pretend that. But it does exist whether I like it or not.

All this being said, I am not in charge of DC Films. James Gunn and Peter Safran are. If Superman Legacy is a good movie, then I will enjoy it. If they make another Wonder Woman movie with Gal Gadot and it is good, then I'll enjoy it. If they make another Wonder Woman movie without Gal Gadot and it's good, then I'll enjoy that. I think continuity is important when the goal is to build out an interconnected universe, but the most important thing is to make movies that connect with audiences. That's why I'll judge what Gunn does with Superman Legacy when I'm sitting in the theater watching it unfold in front of me. Then we'll see. In the meantime, I'm not rooting against this by any means. I certainly wish them the best of luck and hope we get a great movie that starts a universe I can invest in.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ben Affleck's Bruce sends Diana the photo in Wonder Woman. It is clearly connected to the Snyderverse.

Nah... pretty inconsequential bit as far as being stuck on Ben Affleck being Bruce Wayne. Hardly worth remembering at all who had that cameo appearance (or was it merely a very brief flashback or the like... I can't even remember now). It wasn't even much of a tie-in/plot point to worry about... and certainly doesn't need to consider anything about "Snyderverse" at all...

And if they really wanna bother even a little bit, like I said, it's no big deal to work around such w/ just a little bit of imagination that's long been part of the comics-world, particularly including the DC Universe...

Heck! They can probably even pull a Lucas and retroactively swap actors/images for that extremely brief and pretty inconsequential appearance of Bruce Wayne (or something like that), LOL, which has of course been done before elsewhere. ;):D

Again, much ado about basically nothing at this point, IMHO...

I already like to pretend that. But it does exist whether I like it or not.

All this being said, I am not in charge of DC Films. James Gunn and Peter Safran are. If Superman Legacy is a good movie, then I will enjoy it. If they make another Wonder Woman movie with Gal Gadot and it is good, then I'll enjoy it. If they make another Wonder Woman movie without Gal Gadot and it's good, then I'll enjoy that. I think continuity is important when the goal is to build out an interconnected universe, but the most important thing is to make movies that connect with audiences. That's why I'll judge what Gunn does with Superman Legacy when I'm sitting in the theater watching it unfold in front of me. Then we'll see. In the meantime, I'm not rooting against this by any means. I certainly wish them the best of luck and hope we get a great movie that starts a universe I can invest in.

Again, you're probably limiting your imagination about the possibilities too much for this... even though I've already briefly explained how some of these things can easily work out to dispel such issues consistent w/ how such storytelling (and artistic presentations) has long been handled at least in the original comics, but really, they've already been making use of some of those in TV shows and movies to some (albeit so far largely much smaller) extent.

I mean... you've already seen some of that w/ the MCU's variation(s) on the Multiverse afterall... and DC definitely has their own such (though I haven't seen anything definite in the DCEU movies other than brief, vague allusions wrt the Flash in the past... but probably in part because I still haven't actually seen The Flash movie just yet)...

Meanwhile, you've also seen how some such can play out just fine w/out quite as elaborate imaginings, etc in other movie franchises...

Anyhoo...

_Man_

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
This is a big problem. Wonder Woman has appeared in both Shazam and The Flash this year, but the purpose of her cameo appearance in both was for the men around her to sexualize her. It wasn't funny. To her credit, Patty Jenkins never did that. Even in WW84, which I didn't like, Diana never existed to be looked upon as a sex object.

If DC is going to continue with the character, whether Gadot is playing her or not, they need to find something meaningful for her to do that doesn't involve the other characters objectifying her. That is beneath the character. I don't blame Gadot for taking a big check for what was probably a day's worth of work on each cameo, but it is sad to see her reduced to that.

Variety is usually a reputable source in the industry. This leads to the question of why Gal Gadot said something so drastically different. If she believes she is going to develop WW3 with Gunn and Safran and they're not interested in that, they really need to work on better communication. If Variety is wrong and Gadot is staying on, that's a problem with their sourcing. Either way, this is messy.

We barely know what Gunn and Safran have planned. They are at the beginning of the process here. I think it is a little early to judge too much. YMMV of course, but I think they deserve a chance to make something. Once they've done that, we'll see if it looks interesting to see or not. Those of us who decide to see it will then decide if it's any good or not. But I think they deserve a chance to do the work they've been hired to do. It might be good. It might be bad. But let them make it first. Those are just my two cents.
Wow, I wonder how many other threads are on this site that you're not allowed to say anything about enjoy looking at females?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Sure. So what? The way I see it, they (well, Gadot) is referring to it as "WW3", as if it's the third of a trilogy of films. But when/if Gadot, Gunn, and Safran make "WW3", it might be a complete reboot of the character, regardless of whether GG is playing her or not. [On edit: I assume "WW3" is just a handle to put on it until they work out what the film is about]

It may not (probably not, if Variety is right) happen, but it's way too early in the process -- even ignoring the WGA/SAG-AFTRA strikes -- to even speculate on what this movie will entail. It might be a completely standalone "Elseworlds" movie like the Pattinson Batman films and the Phoenix Joker films, and have nothing to do with the DCU plans.

I'm thinking of it like Deadpool 3, which so far includes Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine and Jennifer Garner playing Elekta (and who knows, maybe Affleck playing Daredevil). We can be pretty sure that they won't be playing those characters in the MCU, so will the Deadpool films be something separate from the MCU, or part of the Multiverse, or just something else entirely? Who knows? It's too early to think about it.

Last edited:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
There is no precedence that says every time you have an alternate version of a character, you must recast. That largely became a retroactive thing when the studios started bringing back older versions in multiverse stories.

Probably the best example outside of comic movies is Judi Dench playing M in two different Bond series.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm fine with WW84 being her last WW film. At least she went out on a high note!
1691808842626.png

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There is no precedence that says every time you have an alternate version of a character, you must recast. That largely became a retroactive thing when the studios started bringing back older versions in multiverse stories.

Probably the best example outside of comic movies is Judi Dench playing M in two different Bond series.

Right.
If the movies are good it doesn’t matter to me if someone different plays WW and Batman and Superman and whomever in every movie.

I think we’re all smart enough here to figure out the difference between acting out a role and real people.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think it is pretty clear that the majority of the audience did not respond to WW84 in the way that they responded to the original Wonder Woman film. The low box office gross can be blamed on Covid, but the response to the film itself is not because of Covid. I think WW84 damaged the Wonder Woman brand. I also think it is pretty clear that audiences have been rejecting the most recent slate of DC films connected to the DCEU timeline (Fury of the Gods, The Flash, etc.) With all due respect to Gal Gadot, I do not see the benefit of keeping her as Wonder Woman in the new continuity. I should note here that I like Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Her first solo movie remains my second favorite DCEU film behind the first Shazam. So I'm not saying this because I don't like her. I just don't see a way forward with her because of how mishandled she was in WW84 and Shazam and Flash -- even if they say this is a new timeline with the same actress, it's baggage they don't need.

Gunn and Safran have already announced a prequel series set on Themyscira before Diana is born. That is almost certain to be the next thing WB produces in this corner of the DC universe. I would use it as an opportunity for a clean slate as far as Wonder Woman is concerned.

But again, I'll judge what Gunn and Safran put out when they start coming out. If they keep her and they make another great movie, that's fine. That's why they have the vision that I don't and they're running DC and I'm not. I just hope they make good stuff.

The bottom line is this: Either Gadot is right and she is going to continue to be Wonder Woman for James Gunn and Peter Safran, or Variety's sources are right and that isn't going to happen. Either way, this seems to be a major failure in communication somewhere along the way. I would work to clear that up between all involved parties as soon as the SAG-AFTRA strike ends so that everybody is on the same page. We as the public don't need to be told immediately necessarily, but Gunn and Safran and Gadot should hash this out.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Shrug...

Interesting that whatever we think of audience reception and the box office take for WW84 (or our own opinions of it), RT's audience score is actually not bad at all, LOL.

Anyhoo, I have no idea who else they could/would bring in for the role to be better choice. I would rather they do whatever needed to keep Gadot in the role, if feasible.

But whatever if they don't. Most of DC had always felt kinda 2nd rate to me anyway... and certainly, their entire Snyder-influenced DCEU has been very 2nd rate at best... though still enjoyable enough often enough, but too much of it was kinda meh and largely forgettable... so I have no problem just pretending whatever parts never existed or whatever.

Gadot as WW was one of the few particularly bright spots, and she could be one significant cornerstone for (re)building the new DCU if they choose. Heck, they can just do whatever Flashpoint/Infinite Earths/Mutiverse setup story and just totally rewrite the DCEU into however they want the new DCU to be in WW3: Crisis on Infinite Earths (although they probably need more than just one 2-to-3-hour movie for that)... and some may balk at that like they usually would w/ such recon/revisionism (that has long been a thing in the comics world), but if they do it well and it's just once and done, I have no problem w/ that...

_Man_

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I reject the idea that everything has to be a part of a big picture. Just because Marvel did what it did and it worked (box office wise) for a while, doesn’t mean that’s what you HAVE to do with super hero movies every time. Just try to make a good movie one at a time. The fact that most seem to agree that Gadot was great as WW is enough of a reason to make another one with her, IMO. The fact that they’re clearly and willfully getting rid of Gadot (AND Cavill) is a cinematic travesty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks