What's new

Wonder Woman 3 (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
At this point I will be upset if they keep anyone. A clean reboot is the only way to go.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind if they keep Gal, as I thought she was pretty good in the role. It's similar to how the MCU brought back Charlie Cox and Vincent Donofrio (from the Netflix Daredevil series) to play Daredevil and Kingpin in Hawkeye (though I'm not sure if they're meant to be the same characters from Netflix).

But this version of WW needs to be separate (ie. no connection) from the 2 films directed by Patty Jenkins.

This might be difficult or confusing for some audiences but if they're going to reboot into the DCU (Gunn/Safra), then they need separation from the DCEU.

EDIT: I meant Vincent in Hawkeye, Charlie in No Way Home and She-Hulk.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
At this point I will be upset if they keep anyone. A clean reboot is the only way to go.

I agree. They're already keeping Viola Davis as Amanda Waller and are going to be doing more Peacemaker. I'm a big fan of Viola Davis in general, but I think this demonstrates that James Gunn is unwilling to erase stuff that he made. Amanda Waller knows Henry Cavill as Superman, but she stays while Superman is getting rebooted and that's just a very messy starting place. I don't have a problem with Superman being rebooted if that's what they want to do, but any ties to anything in the existing DCEU just complicates things unnecessarily. The general audience at large has demonstrated that they are not attached to the old universe, and a fresh start is the way to go.

Gal Gadot was excellent in the role of Wonder Woman and I have nothing against her personally. But she had a single great movie, a bad sequel and recent cameos in which the sole purpose of her appearance was to sexualize her. The creative teams behind these movies have not taken care of Diana as a character long-term after the success of the first film. That's not Gadot's fault necessarily, but I would still reboot.

I loved the second film (and only the 2nd)

Why?

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
"Pre-strikes, #WonderWoman3 was supposed to shoot this summer with a script by Patty Jenkins that Gal really liked. Jenkins was obviously returning to direct, but James Gunn scrapped her script entirely because he thought her take didn’t fit with where he wanted to take Wonder Woman in the DCU. This led to Jenkins no longer being involved in the project in ANY capacity. James Gunn, Peter Safran AND Gal Gadot will develop a NEW version of Wonder Woman 3, from scratch. (Post-strikes, obviously.) At the end of the day it won’t really be “WONDER WOMAN 3”, but a reboot starring the same actress. Some things we saw in her previous movies will stay the same, some will change."

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
--Lighter in tone than the first film from Zack Snyder

--Wonder Woman was much more caring/and empathetic character, and had a deeper love story this time around I thought. Very deep.

--I love the colorful/brighter look to the film, and the time period

--She can fly like in the comic books

--It felt like a comic book, which shouldn't be discouraged. Quite the opposite.

--Villains were much more interesting than the first film, and both had a soul with a personality. Goofy, sure, but I'll take it.

--Invisible jet

--Patty Jenkins

--Not Zack Snyder

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yes. Zack Snyder directed Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in Batman v. Superman and Justice League but both of her solo films were directed by Patty Jenkins.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Patty Jenkins directed both films. Snyder was a producer on both.
Yes. Zack Snyder directed Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in Batman v. Superman and Justice League but both of her solo films were directed by Patty Jenkins.

Yes, but the first film definitely had a whole lot of Snyder's input/influence nonetheless... and a bit of that (like the way some of the action was handled) still seemed to stick around even for the sequel.

Anyway, I have no real problem w/ Gadot reprising the role in a good reboot, especially if they found an effective way to make it work more seamlessly... Heck, I didn't hear anyone complain about Lynda Carter's cameo(!) in the sequel afterall (although she technically wasn't actually reprising her role). ;):cool:

It's not as though some such is at all foreign to comic book storytelling, especially in the DC Universe and particularly when multi-verse/infinite earths and time-traveling (or whatever reality altering effect), etc might possibly be involved, afterall...

_Man_

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Patty Jenkins directed both films. Snyder was a producer on both.
I know. I should have been more clear. The first film was written by Zack Snyder. And it shows. from the generic, one dimensional boring villain, to the contrived 'fish out of water' tale done a million times before...and better. Also serious clunky dialogue (the dialogue about reproduction was cringe AF). Even though it was directed by Patty Jenkins, it was still very much a Zack Snyder tale.

WW84 was written and directed by Patty Jenkins. She had more creative control (obviously) making for a very, very different feeling film. It was a winner.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I know. I should have been more clear. The first film was written by Zack Snyder. And it shows. from the generic, one dimensional boring villain, to the contrived 'fish out of water' tale done a million times before...and better. Also serious clunky dialogue (the dialogue about reproduction was cringe AF). Even though it was directed by Patty Jenkins, it was still very much a Zack Snyder tale.

WW84 was written and directed by Patty Jenkins. She had more creative control (obviously) making for a very, very different feeling film. It was a winner.

I wouldn't call WW84 a winner, but I certainly don't hate it like many seem to (and enjoy it well enough I suppose)... nor do I love the 1st Snyder-esque one nearly as much as others seem to...

None of the DCEU movies are remotely perfect or the like. At the moment, most of the better ones, including WW84, kinda feel like how the few lesser Indy sequels are for me -- they're all various kinds of mixed bags that I sometimes enjoy... maybe just enough to own, partly because I'm a tad bit of a completist, but not strictly speaking (as I didn't buy the weakest Star Trek movies for instance... except/unless included in some very deeply discounted, bargain bundle), haha...

_Man_

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I know. I should have been more clear. The first film was written by Zack Snyder.

No, it wasn't. Snyder is a credited co-writer for the story (how much he contributed wasn't clear), but Allan Heinberg wrote the screenplay and was another co-writer for the story.

Again, Jenkins was a credited co-writer (for both screenplay and story), but I see more of co-writer David Goyer's touches in it.

Like Man, I wasn't thrilled by WW84, but I didn't hate it, either. But the element of it that really bothered me was Diana's not recognizing that her desire to hold onto Steve Trevor would have the effect of essentially murdering the man whose body Trevor inhabited (not to mention that it can be -- and has been -- argued that the man's lack of consent made their implied lovemaking a sexual assault). Yes, she eventually renounced her wish, but it was very much against her character to take as long as it did to realize this.

There were certainly other things that I found problematic with the first WW movie. I found it rather horrifying that they used a reboot version of her origin that completely eliminated the actions of the goddesses Hera, Aphrodite, and Athena in Diana's creation, and gave all that agency to the male god Zeus. In fact, the only Olympians even mentioned in the film are male -- Zeus and Ares. William Moulton Marston must've been spinning in his grave.

But that aside, the first WW movie is far and away my favorite of the DCEU (though Gunn's The Suicide Squad comes close).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No, it wasn't. Snyder is a credited co-writer for the story (how much he contributed wasn't clear), but Allan Heinberg wrote the screenplay and was another co-writer for the story.

If memory serves, the script for the first Wonder Woman film was arrived at via committee, as they locked in a release date before shooting began and needed to hit a deadline. I believe the process was overseen by a group that included Zack Snyder and if I’m remembering right, they separately gave a few different writers the same parameters that the film needed to hit, and selected the script that they felt was the best of the bunch submitted, and borrowed elements they liked from the rejected drafts.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think the best thing WW84 had going for it was Pedro Pascal. Other than that, meh.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Gadot has played Wonder Woman for Zack Snyder and (in reshoots) for Joss Whedon, so there is precedent for her being the character in another director's movie. I don't mean to suggest that I expect Snyder or Whedon to have any involvement going forward. But if Gunn and Safran want to work with Gadot moving forward, the question becomes finding another director who has a take on the character that satisfies both Warner and Gadot.
Start with a great script and give WW3 to JMS and let him run with it in any fashion he likes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks