What's new

Wonder Woman (2017) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
By "genre film", I mean exactly that it's not SF or fantasy. That's the connotation the use of the phrase implies.

Technically everything is a "genre film", as every movie falls into a genre.

In the Oscars context, I take "genre movie" to mean "not a serious drama". That's why I'd plop "Lambs" in the "genre film" category...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Technically everything is a "genre film", as every movie falls into a genre.

In the Oscars context, I take "genre movie" to mean "not a serious drama". That's why I'd plop "Lambs" in the "genre film" category...

I'm aware that every film belongs to a genre, but my use of the phrase "genre film" was specifically intended to mean films belonging to the SF/Fantasy genre. That connotation is commonplace.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
YOUR connotation is commonplace!

That phrase has been used frequently by devotees of SF/fantasy to refer to that particular genre. I'm sorry you didn't catch it, but if you read the entirety of my original post, it should have been quite obvious which genre I was referring to (what did you think was the purpose of putting the word genre in quotes?). In any case, I have explicitly stated what I meant, which means that your post about SOTL does not apply to what I was talking about.

Last edited:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I appreciate the renewed discussion. I've been a lurker on here for years, and chimed in only occasionally. I've always viewed this forum as one where I can read with great interest the thoughts of fairly thoughtful individuals who love movies.

I will certainly be watching for the Oscar nominations list with interest. Just a couple of weeks away, I believe.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Oscar Nominatioms are announced Tuesday January 23 at 8:40 AM ET/5:40AM PT.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That phrase has been used frequently by devotees of SF/fantasy to refer to that particular genre. I'm sorry you didn't catch it, but if you read the entirety of my original post, it should have been quite obvious which genre I was referring to (what did you think was the purpose of putting the word genre in quotes?). In any case, I have explicitly stated what I meant, which means that your post about SOTL does not apply to what I was talking about.

I was joking - I should've tossed in a :D.

So here goes: :D :D :D! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks