What's new

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I highly doubt that this movie will open in August, also movies previously thought to be sure Billion dollar films probably won't be anymore.

I don't know about that. I think the first handful of films to play in theaters once social distancing recedes, especially films from a franchise like DC or Marvel, will do gangbusters business. Here, outside of NYC, it has barely been two weeks since we started this, and people are starving for things like concerts, sporting events and movies. (That said, I support efforts to keep social distancing going as long as the scientists say we should. I see it going until June, IMO.) The first movies to play, particularly if they are good, could do the kind of business we are used to for these films, and then some.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Empire Magazine has shared two new images from the film:

Empire-Wonder-Woman-1984-Photo-01.jpg

Empire-Wonder-Woman-1984-Photo-02.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I know I said I'm still hopeful about this being able to come out in August. But if it can't, I suspect the next logical place to move it would be around Christmas, where Aquaman was extremely successful for DC a couple of years ago. The only big action tentpole movie currently set around the Christmas window is Top Gun, which is probably going to do well, but I don't think Wonder Woman and Top Gun would have too much of a problem coexisting in theaters. Wonder Woman will probably skew more female, and Top Gun might skew older because it's a sequel to a 34-year-old movie, so they probably would be fine to open both around the same time. Maybe not exactly on the same date, but I would make time to see both in the holiday season window for sure.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wonder Woman has moved dates again to October 2.

I wonder why WB is so willing to shift this date significantly but not Tenet.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A) Tenet’s next move will be to the date this vacated
B) The film industry isn’t ready to concede what the live theater and concert industries already have, namely, that 2020 is over for live entertainment requiring audience attendance. Since sports is still hedging or trying to go ahead, they’re hoping they can too.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim

My guess is that Tenet won't do as well as WW, and they want something to play prior to WW to grease the wheels of getting the public ready to sit in a theatre again.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
A) Tenet’s next move will be to the date this vacated
B) The film industry isn’t ready to concede what the live theater and concert industries already have, namely, that 2020 is over for live entertainment requiring audience attendance. Since sports is still hedging or trying to go ahead, they’re hoping they can too.

Concert industry hasn't conceded 2020 is done, though - at least not formally. There are still August shows on the docket without being changed.

Perhaps this is to blunt the economic woes of needing to refund everything at once - I don't see any chance that the August Gaga stadium shows I'm supposed to attend will actually happen - but they're still on the schedule.

Heck, when Billy Joel rescheduled his March MSG show, he moved it to November - and that's where it remains!

Understand that I don't claim concerts will return this year. My most realistic personal hope is that Gaga restarts her Vegas residency with the usual handful of pre-New Year's shows, and if she does, those will probably be my 1st post-COVID concerts.

I do think the industry hasn't conceded yet, though - and movie theaters are a different beast anyway, as it's substantially easier to social distance in that environment vs. a concert...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I think Warners knows that moving WW to October is alot more realistic and Tenet is still in July simply to keep Nolan and the theater chains happy until they have to give them the bad news that it's going to have move again.

One thing's for sure, you can bet that WB isn't printing posters with a release date on them.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Concert industry hasn't conceded 2020 is done, though

Essentially they have.

Broadway is currently offering refunds through September 6, but everyone involved there has acknowledged they don't expect to be back until early 2021 at the earliest. They just keep extending the refund date incrementally to prevent having to process too many refunds at once. First it was April 12, and then June 7, and then September 6. In a couple of months it will be extended again. No one actually believes that because refunds are being offered through September 6, that means the lights get turned back on the next day. I suspect that is also the case with the concert industry. Those kinds of shows can't be done while social distancing is still a thing because the economic model doesn't work with significantly reduced capacity.

You're right that movie theaters would be easier to social distance, but the question is whether or not audiences will feel safe to come back. As I said in another thread yesterday, the question is not about whether Tenet and Wonder Woman 1984 have value. The question is whether I will be safe if I go to them, so the content of the film is moot in that regard. I'd love to think that we could go out to the movies in October because I miss it and I want it back.

However, I also feel like Josh is right. I wish he wasn't, but it would help if one studio (probably either Disney or Warner has enough clout to do this) stood up and said, "We believe 2020 is gone now and we'll see you all in 2021." The rest would likely follow suit once one stands up and does it. It would hurt exhibitors, but it would keep audiences safe and ensure that there are audiences available and willing to return to movie theaters next year. I also feel like that's better than this whole "we'll kick our new movies back every so often" approach that they're taking now, and would allow the studios to focus on planting their flags on dates in the 2021 calendar which are more likely to be able to happen.

If I go to Tenet in July and die from the virus, Warner would've gotten my $8 for Tenet but they wouldn't get any more of the money I pour into movies every year because I'd be dead, and I wouldn't be the only one. So that would be a bad thing for the industry. Even survivors would then be hesitant to return. But they're not taking the long-term view here, only the short one.

Again, I'd love to be able to see WW84 in a theater in October safely. Hopefully we're there by then. But I'm not convinced that we will be. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I know; I meant, but wasn't the most clear, that the two-week delay of Tenet was not significant in terms of a difference in the severity of the virus. Wonder Woman is a more significant delay.

Last edited:

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I actually don’t care if they shift the release date for a few weeks or month. As long both films are due for this year I am happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks