What's new

Wonder Woman (2017) (1 Viewer)

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Wonder Woman will hit some interesting milestones this weekend. In fact, 2 of them, in addition to having recently achieved 400m domestic.

- It will surpass Spiderman in domestic take to become the number one superhero origin story of all time.

- It will cross 800m worldwide.

As a stretch goal, if WW hits over 409m domestic before the end of it's theatrical run, it will overtake Iron Man 3 which is currently number 5 highest grossing domestic superhero film. Being in the top 5 would certainly be a great feather in WW's tiara.

These numbers don't include any kind of inflation factor.

Wonder Woman is also the third highest grossing film in Warner Bros history domestically, being topped only by Nolan's Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises.

Finally, WW has an outside chance of passing Spiderman for the worldwide take for a superhero origin film. It has yet to release in Japan. It would need accumulate somewhere around 18m dollars in Japan during it's run there to achieve this. It's completely up in the air as to how well it will do in Japan.

WW also releases digitally on August 29, which is likely to put an end to its long legs domestically. DVD/Blu/4k releases come later in September.

Who foresaw this? What a great success story for this film.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I watched Wonder Woman for the first time this afternoon. I watched an HD 3D Atmos version on my 120” screen. The 3D was enjoyable though it felt like a 2.5D movie in many places. But the 3D for the action scenes was really engaging. But, as my wife noted when I asked her opinion on 3D viewing, it’s a lot dimmer and loses the visual pop of the bright (2D) action movie. 3D giveth and 3D taketh.

The Atmos was immersive though I didn’t notice a lot of particular audio placement.

The movie was fun and exciting. The heart of the movie, its sincerity and heart, was a great foundation. The action scenes were thrilling. I was disappointed by the reveal of the Big Bad.

Overall, I enjoyed it and glad I bought the blu to watch at home. It’s not my favorite superhero movie, but it’s worthwhile.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I watched Wonder Woman for the first time this afternoon. I watched an HD 3D Atmos version on my 120” screen. The 3D was enjoyable though it felt like a 2.5D movie in many places. But the 3D for the action scenes was really engaging. But, as my wife noted when I asked her opinion on 3D viewing, it’s a lot dimmer and loses the visual pop of the bright (2D) action movie. 3D giveth and 3D taketh.

The Atmos was immersive though I didn’t notice a lot of particular audio placement.

The movie was fun and exciting. The heart of the movie, its sincerity and heart, was a great foundation. The action scenes were thrilling. I was disappointed by the reveal of the Big Bad.

Overall, I enjoyed it and glad I bought the blu to watch at home. It’s not my favorite superhero movie, but it’s worthwhile.
The 3D version is not Atmos. It’s only 5.1.

??

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Wondering if anyone else had noticed the news recently about WW being nominated for a PGA award in the best picture category.

To be honest, I didn't even know that this award existed until this news started to make its way online. There are several articles out there saying basically the same thing (i.e. the PGA's are a fairly reliable indicator as to what best pic noms for the Oscars are likely to be). I have no idea if this is accurate or not.

So I got to thinking - since 'The Dark Knight' was snubbed for a best picture nom (it really did deserve to be nominated), the academy has since expanded number of movies that can be nominated for best picture. Presumably, this was to afford traditionally less welcomed genres (superhero movies being one) to have a chance at a nomination.

I'm not for a moment suggesting WW would win the best picture Oscar if nominated. But what I am suggesting is that it being nominated may be a very good thing for clearing the way to allow future superhero movies to be nominated. Breaking down that barrier I think would be a positive thing.

Curious what you think about that.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not for a moment suggesting WW would win the best picture Oscar if nominated. But what I am suggesting is that it being nominated may be a very good thing for clearing the way to allow future superhero movies to be nominated. Breaking down that barrier I think would be a positive thing.

Curious what you think about that.

I think it would be a mistake to nominate Wonder Woman for Best Picture.

In my book, it simply wasn't good enough to rise to that level. I think "The Dark Knight" was a masterpiece for all time that started with an excellent screenplay, added a first rate cast, had incredible direction and astonishing technical innovation.

By comparison, I found "Wonder Woman" to be a competent and enjoyable summer blockbuster that did a good job of taking a very tried-and-true approach to telling an origin story. But on every level, to me, it's not the equal of The Dark Knight. If The Dark Knight wasn't Best Picture worthy, Wonder Woman isn't either.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The original Star Wars was nominated for Best Picture in 1977. Raiders Of The Lost Ark was nominated in 1981. Jaws was nominated in 1975.

Can you imagine the Academy today giving that sort of nomination? I can't.

It turns out, we didn't need the Academy upping the number of nominees for them to be capable of nominating films that regular people actually go out and see. They used to know how to do it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The original Star Wars was nominated for Best Picture in 1977. Raiders Of The Lost Ark was nominated in 1981. Jaws was nominated in 1975.

It turns out, we didn't need the Academy upping the number of nominees for them to be capable of nominating films that regular people actually go out and see. They used to know how to do it.
From the big budget movies, I'm just holding out hope that Dunkirk gets a BP nomination this year. I think Nolan has a good enough body of work and he & his movies have been passed over enough (except Inception) that I think Dunkirk and Nolan will get a nomination.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Dunkirk will get a nomination.

If it had come out in December, it absolutely would. The Academy is often biased against films that come out in other times of the year, which is probably why IMAX ran the 15/70 prints at their biggest venues for the first week of December, to remind Academy voters that the movie existed and was worthy of consideration.

The thing is, although I liked Dunkirk very much, I think Nolan's body of work has been so strong that by comparison, Dunkirk is his weakest film in about 15 years. I think Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, Inception, The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar were all superior pictures.

And if Academy voters judge the film on low-rez DVD screeners on small home screens, rather than in 15/70 IMAX, there's a good chance that it'll get the obligatory nomination but not serious consideration.

Or if it does get serious consideration, it may be one of those Oscars that's really about the artist's body of work as a whole rather than that movie specifically.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim

Star Wars was a cultural phenomenon and a real technical achievement. Nothing like it had ever been seen before, and it captured the imagination of the moviegoing public. I think WW does have its own special cultural impact, albeit not on the same scale as the original Star Wars. But I do think it is important.

I am a bit torn. On the one hand it is a competent and very enjoyable movie, with a good story and lots to love. That on it's own doesn't make it worthy of a nomination. But I wonder if it's fairly strong message of empowerment of women, and the film having been directed by a woman, doesn't make it special (culturally) somehow. Is that worth anything? I honestly can't say.

I've always viewed the Oscars as being something of a hollywood political sort of thing. "Oscars so white" and all of that. So nothing will surprise me with regard to WW getting a nod.

Deserved or not though, I do think the value in it getting a nom would be in showing that genre movies can make the list. It's been too long, and many more deserving movies (like The Dark Knight) have been passed over because it was a Batman movie.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But I wonder if it's fairly strong message of empowerment of women, and the film having been directed by a woman, doesn't make it special (culturally) somehow. Is that worth anything? I honestly can't say.

I think that's worth a lot. And, in the case of Wonder Woman, that's why Warner was rewarded with a worldwide gross of over $800 million.

But I don't think that, in and of itself, makes the movie better.

There are movies that are more significant culturally than they are significant as films, and I think Wonder Woman is probably one of them. (Nothing wrong with that, either!)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
But I wonder if it's fairly strong message of empowerment of women, and the film having been directed by a woman, doesn't make it special (culturally) somehow. Is that worth anything? I honestly can't say.
Given the current climate in Hollywood, that's probably reason enough for it to get multiple nominations.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Justice League should get a nomination for Best Picture. Because I think it Is better than Wonder Woman.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
2E7B66D0-7B8F-4FD7-8681-A070B7724A01.gif

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was joking. As much as I enjoyed it, and I am a complete movie snob about this-no comic book movie no matter how good deserves to be in the best picture category. I'm not saying this to be mean or sarcastic, but that would lower the prestige of the Academy Awards.
Make them no better than the MTV Movie Awards.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Dark Knight, a near-universally acclaimed picture, being nominated would have tainted the Academy? What about Star Wars being nominated in '77? How about winners that haven't stood the test of time?

I love many films from many eras, highbrow, lowbrow, and everything in between, and I would put The Dark Knight up against any other acclaimed picture as my submission as one of the best films ever made. At the least, I don't think it would be out of place on a Top Five From 2008 list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks